PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got a ADHD child

Happy Bunny
16-01-2011, 02:52 PM
My son has ADHD and i was wondering if anyone else's child is.
Do you find it has an impact on your childminding and parent's opinions of your setting.

Hebs
16-01-2011, 03:04 PM
my son has ADHD, and i dont tell parents that he has ADHD, they dont need to know :thumbsup:

Happy Bunny
16-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, the reason for my post is that i have never told any parent he had adhd until he was formally diagnosed. My son is 6 and on occasions does go very hypo, i had a comment from one parent saying that their child found him quite boisterous and has told them that he shouts a lot. When i told them that he had just been diagnosed with ADHD, the reply was are you going to get him medicated.
I don't want my son on medication i am using a natural diet method to help him.

mushpea
16-01-2011, 03:33 PM
my son (10) has special needs,, is constantly on the go,, has huge tantrums somtimes and learning difficultys aswell as having social issues ,, they cant decide between ADHD or aspergers and he keeps being assesed for both,,, I dont tell the parents as its nothing to do with them,,, he has out bursts where he shouts ' i hate having everyone else here' why do i have to put up with all these kids here' and the other day he told a parent it was all getting too much,,,, luckily she knows him and took no notice!! to be honest the fact he has issues dosent impact on my setting or the other children no more than any other child, and I find other children that come here are 'easy' to look after and any behaviour issues i find i can manage more effeciantly because I am used to having a 'hard work' child.

mushpea
16-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, the reason for my post is that i have never told any parent he had adhd until he was formally diagnosed. My son is 6 and on occasions does go very hypo, i had a comment from one parent saying that their child found him quite boisterous and has told them that he shouts a lot. When i told them that he had just been diagnosed with ADHD, the reply was are you going to get him medicated.
I don't want my son on medication i am using a natural diet method to help him.

the people assesing my son have suggested drugs and I refuse to give them to him because its not helping him to learn to deal with his 'issues' or his temper its just dulling his temper so that when he eventualy stops taking the tablets he will not have learnt how to control his temper or how to deal with life.

Happy Bunny
16-01-2011, 03:42 PM
the people assesing my son have suggested drugs and I refuse to give them to him because its not helping him to learn to deal with his 'issues' or his temper its just dulling his temper so that when he eventualy stops taking the tablets he will not have learnt how to control his temper or how to deal with life.

My feelings exactly.
I give my son time out but sometimes i do get a bit disheartened with the looks i get when he "goes into one"
I love him to bits, he is a character, funny and at times very hard work, makes me want to have a temper tantrum myself lol.
I just wish that some people could accept him for what he is.

a3human
16-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I have 1 kid with ADHD... My husband!
But I suspect my son is in the same boat, but he's still to young to be diagnosed.
If you had a mindee with ADHD, would you make all the parents aware? Will that not be a breach of confidentiality?
I don't think it should affect you as a childminder especially being your own child, you know them better and can handle them. If you feel you can control him without meds, then stick to it till he needs it.
You've managed 6 years, and parts of those you’ve been a childminder, why would a diagnosis now change things - this is my opinion. ADHD is not a disease... Can’t harm or has no effect on other children.
There's alternative ways to deal with ADHD, it just takes patience and a lot of support, but in the long run it will benefit them. My hubby's been on meds all his life. When we got together we found alternative ways to help him, and now he hardly takes meds, only occasionally when he goes on a training course etc where he needs to concentrate all day.

Hebs
16-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I was anti medication but we felt that we had nothing to lose by trying it and the difference was amazing, my son can manage his behaviour much better and has excelled in school

please dont refuse to try medication, just read up on them and make an informed decision, they have been a life saver for my son and 99% of the time people dont even realise he has ADHD

flora
16-01-2011, 04:18 PM
My son has ADHD and we have used a combination of diet and medication.

Diet alone did not work for our son, but every child is different :thumbsup:

Like Hebs's son, there are days when you would not know he as it and other days where he almost has a neon sign over his head displaying the fact :laughing:

I don't make a point of telling new or current paretns. Sometimes it just comes up and I explain. I just don't make a big deal of it :thumbsup:

Hebs
16-01-2011, 04:20 PM
My son has ADHD and we have used a combination of diet and medication.

Diet alone did not work for our son, but every child is different :thumbsup:

Like Hebs's son, there are days when you would not know he as it and other days where he almost has a neon sign over his head displaying the fact :laughing:

I don't make a point of telling new or current paretns. Sometimes it just comes up and I explain. I just don't make a big deal of it :thumbsup:

OMG yes normally around a full moon :laughing: even his teacher can tell the moon phase by my sons behaviour :laughing:

flora
16-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Not sure if H is affected by the moon???? :D

I have yet to work out a pattern I wish I could cos then I could try and pre empt it.

Just in the process of applying to the DWP for allowance for H. I have fillled in a 12 page detailed doc and the connsultant has been asked to report no they feel they STILL don't have enuf info so are aksing the school !!!!!!

What do they know about loking after him, there are soooooooo mnay things that don't apply during school hours that I know they willl just say he is perfect and no trouble and the that will be all the excuse the DWP will need :(

Hebs
16-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Not sure if H is affected by the moon???? :D

I have yet to work out a pattern I wish I could cos then I could try and pre empt it.

Just in the process of applying to the DWP for allowance for H. I have fillled in a 12 page detailed doc and the connsultant has been asked to report no they feel they STILL don't have enuf info so are aksing the school !!!!!!

What do they know about loking after him, there are soooooooo mnay things that don't apply during school hours that I know they willl just say he is perfect and no trouble and the that will be all the excuse the DWP will need :(

if they say no go to appeal, it took 18 months to get it awarded for my son and the people at appeal are medically qualified :thumbsup:

mushpea
16-01-2011, 06:32 PM
my medical people havent even suggested diet,, they just went straight in with 'take drugs' its like the cant be bothered especialy as he hasnt been diagnosed as yet,,,, when my son 'goes in to one' there is no talking to him,, the best way i have found is to leave him alone wether it be in his room or if we are out he takes himself off to a queit spot,, i leave him to it and when he has calmed down enough we talk about what happend and deal with it appropratly,, trouble is when i am out and this happens it looks to others as though i am doing nothing and he is getting away with it,,mind you i am learning to ignore others as they dont know my son like I do.
is there a website with diet suggestions that i could look at?

flora
16-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Not sure to be honest,

I just knew that Harry was sensitive to colouring, preservatives, flavourigns etc etc. You could tel from his attitude and beahaviour that they just mad things worse.

I also limit screen time and psp time etc. Makes a diference too.

You know your child better than any one. Can you see a pattern when he is better or worse?

Lots of adhd kids are better on a "fresh" diet, others it make no diff.

flora
16-01-2011, 08:09 PM
if they say no go to appeal, it took 18 months to get it awarded for my son and the people at appeal are medically qualified :thumbsup:

Thats good to know....but 18months :eek: what did they do? Send the forms by carrier pigeon?

mushpea
16-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Not sure to be honest,

I just knew that Harry was sensitive to colouring, preservatives, flavourigns etc etc. You could tel from his attitude and beahaviour that they just mad things worse.

I also limit screen time and psp time etc. Makes a diference too.

You know your child better than any one. Can you see a pattern when he is better or worse?

Lots of adhd kids are better on a "fresh" diet, others it make no diff.

no pattern at all really,, he dose have a lot of fresh stuff as i ususaly cook from scratch and I have to hide the fruit bowl cause he would just eat it all day!, as for the computer games I do limit the time on them but whilst he is on them he is a lot calmer and focused yet when hes not on them he is very hard work and dosent stop moving,, although he dosent stop moving when hes on them its a lot less,, having said that he is not allowed on them constantly and nor do I use them as a baby sitting service! however I do let him go on them after school for longer on the days when I have the most children as these are the days he finds most difficult,, I refuse to stop minding as has been suggested due to his soical difficulties as not only have i worked hard for this job but i fail to see how keeping him at home on his own is helping him deal with social situtaions,, he has his room for his 'quiet' times and his xbox is his 'escape' when he is allowed on it. I think he has to learn to deal with life and everything that comes with it and I will be there to help him I just wish the proffesionals would see it my way

Hebs
16-01-2011, 08:37 PM
diet made diddly squat of a difference to my son as he is dairy intollerant his meals are cooked fresh from scratch

try the meds hun what have you got to loose??

the worst thing that will happen is that they dont help........... but what if they do help?? doesnt your child deserve the help available??

Happy Bunny
17-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Does the moon affect behaviour patterns then?

The Ds is a life saver when i have a housefull lol.

When we first went to the doctors about my son, i was asked if my job was a factor as he might feel left out.
Told the doctor in no uncertain term that this was not the case as i try to entertain him after school with an activity.
Regarding medication, i have said to the doctor and the school that unless it causes a problem with his education, i would like to wait before going down this route.
I pushed for him to be diagnosed for 3 years, i did not want him labelled as a disobedient or 'naughty' child when there was obviously a reason for his behaviour.

Aimi-jo
17-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Thank you for asking this question, Im just not that brave. I really hope its not an issue when i start minding. I am still unsure what my son may have, its all a waiting game. Although I know my son and he adores other children and is such a great help with his little brother so in that respect im sure it will be fine x x x

tidsy tots
17-01-2011, 10:23 AM
my 12 yr old step son has adhd.
he lives with me and my husband fulltime.
has only been diagnoised for about year and a half.
he,s on meds it has made such a difference with his concentration although he still gets into trouble sometimes not half as much as he use to.
i just wish his school was more understanding i think some of his teachers wind him up on purpose just so they can get him out of the class room.
which is such a shame because he is such a lovely lad even with the adhd.
I also think my 6yr old my have it aswell, shows some of the same behaviours but maybe he just copies his big bro but we will see. im just starting out as a childminder but i see my sons adhd as a positive hopfully parents will see how well we deal with it and that its not such a big problem as people think, and maybe remove some people predudice towards the condition.:clapping:

JCrakers
17-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi,
My brother has ADHD and he was on med during his GCSE's which helped him concentrate immensly.