PDA

View Full Version : mindee with broken collar bone, what to do?

mushpea
16-01-2011, 11:28 AM
mum has just txt that she wont be comming tommoro as she has broke her collar bone,, mindee is 3yrs old,,, I have not come accross this before and dont know what I need to do when she wants to return,, I have already decided to refuse her this week ,, she only comes mon,tue,wed anyway as I think this would give it good week to start healing,,, I have a double buggy I can put her in on the school runs and trips to toddler grps etc but do I let her play at toddler groups? is there a policy or permision form or somthing I need? also we go to the zoo every wedensday and they all play in the soft play area,, not a good idea with a broken arm but seems unfair to say no to her ,, and i cant get the double pram in the car (got 6 seats up) so she would have to walk around the zoo.
so advice please on how to handle this,, what to say to mum and any policys etc i need in place

MaryMary
16-01-2011, 11:43 AM
My son fractured his collar bone when he was 4. He found it painful to lift his arms up (difficult to get clothes on & off and had to go out & buy old fashioned button up pj's & more shirts!) He was ok though. When it first happened his arm would hang with one shoulder lower than the other. The only treatment (apart from painkillers) was a sling, which he had for a couple of weeks.

It shouldn't effect walking - unless she isn't sleeping well & gets tired. You may need to allow a little more time for getting coats on & off.

I would say no soft play, as she won't be able to join in as much and may get upset. Toddler group should be ok, if you keep an eye on any rough play.

Good luck, and I hope she is feeling better soon. These things should heal quite quickly in a 3 year old :)

Dragonfly
16-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a 3 yr old with a broken collar bone at mo(mindee) not having him regular days as he is big heavy boy who trips alot when walking. Have him if not got to do school trips which is only 1 afternoon a week.usaully comes 2 afternoons and 1 full day.

manjay
16-01-2011, 01:34 PM
One of my 3 yr olds broke his collar bone last summer. It was my hols so he was home for a week before he came back to me but just had a sling. Didn't really stop him doing much at all:rolleyes:

mufftie
16-01-2011, 02:29 PM
id ask the parents and see what they suggest as they would have been told what ok for the child to do whilst its healing , and if they say its ok to go to toddler groups then get them to sign a statment of permission that they are responsible for any further injury created whilst in your care