PDA

View Full Version : URGENT- Advice charging a friend

Minstrel
16-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Ds's school is closed until further notice and one of their friends mum has just text me to have her 2 children for half a day until they go back. She has asked me to let her know what i charge but i feel bad charging her as we have each others kids over for play dates all the time.

So would you

A charge full price
B charge half price
C not charge at all

Thanks!

onceinabluemoon
16-01-2011, 10:15 AM
She has asked you. It's business.

Personally i do not do 'mates rates' and would charge my normal rate. It keeps it professional which is something you definitely need to do if you're working for a mate.

You could throw in dinner for free or something similar if it made you feel better?

solly
16-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I would charge normal or maybe give a discount because you are having 2 of them

Adiamond
16-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I look after one of my friends lo's and I charge the same as I charge everyone else :thumbsup: x x

Happy Bunny
16-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I would charge your normal rate, i occasionally have a friends child while she goes to meetings, i charge her my usual rate.
If i invite her child over for a play day then thats different.

mufftie
16-01-2011, 11:07 AM
she's asked so dont feel bad , id charge normal hourly rate or maybe a flat rate for the mornings thast you happy with but its got to be worth your while

jane5
16-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I have this problem with family, I cant charge normal rate even though I know I should, (i cant get those words out of my mouth lol)

I have now decided to say "my normal rate is xxx and I will give you a 10% discount". This way I am not losing to much but they know I have discounted my price for them.

I wouldn't give a 50% discount as that is to much to lose and if you have to mind lo's again you may resent it.

MaryMary
16-01-2011, 11:33 AM
How old are the children? Does it affect your numbers? If it does, you need to charge as you won't be able to have anyone else (others from the same school may ask).

It is a difficult one. If it were definitely a one off (exceptional circumstances) you could call in a favour at a later date (baby sitting or sleepover :) ), but you would need to make it very clear that it is a one off, and you would normally charge.

Only you know how good a friend this is, or is it just a 'mum from the school'?

Good luck :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
16-01-2011, 12:25 PM
She has asked you. It's business.

Personally i do not do 'mates rates' and would charge my normal rate. It keeps it professional which is something you definitely need to do if you're working for a mate.

You could throw in dinner for free or something similar if it made you feel better?

What she ^^^^ said!
:D

The Juggler
16-01-2011, 12:49 PM
What she ^^^^ said!
:D

ditto! one of my mindees and my ds have playdates all the time, here and there out of work ours, but when I am working I charge.

angiemog
16-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm extremely soft..... I probably would do a deal. It seems like it is one off (for however long......) and I would do it to help a friend out. However I would take in to account the children... Are they going to add alot of extra work, are they hard work? Is it possible you will turn down other work because you have them? If the answer is no then I would do it for a small amount to help her out....... If the answer is yes and I would rather not have them then I would charge full price. x

clumpcat
16-01-2011, 03:39 PM
definatlely start as you mean to go on. i have posted a thread yesterday about this because i have just upped rate to standard rate for a friend and i don't think it has been well received. i had someone leave so i was working for £3 an hour (mates rate) now i've put up to £4 and i think i have lost a friend, not sure but had no response back since yesterday i told her. definately reccommend a standard rate from the start.

glitzygal
16-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I have made the mistake of charging mates rates, but they expect the same as the other children, so i am slowly putting up my prices so they get to the same amount as others,

i wont do it again, as the others have said its the space ractio that you could fill with normal rate child.
i did used to do siblings rate so one child £4.00 and the other one £3.50 its a bit different.

good luck in what you decide.

its your business and she must understand that.:thumbsup:

xdirtydancerx
16-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I would charge full. I charged my oh's brothers mrs half my usual costs and she ended up taking me for an idiot. Good luck though :)

mrs_scottydog
16-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I charge my friend the full rate. If her lo is ill or they can't be here for another reason then she only gets charged half fee.
It's obviously your choice but I would definitely charge her, it's extra business for you, not a play date. Hx

Minstrel
16-01-2011, 05:38 PM
OK So in the end I decided to give her a discounted rate. I usually charge £4 an hour but have gone with £5 per hour for both. I usually provide meals but they will bring a packed lunch.

It's a fair compromise. It is exceptional circumstances (school had a gas leak) and she's not the sort to take advantage. Both children are in my children's classes so they will entertain mine too. I'm not working at the mo so not affecting numbers and although loud, they aren't too much trouble. It will probably only be one or two days.

Thanks for the advice- sorry I seem to have gone against most of it!

Pipsqueak
16-01-2011, 06:22 PM
lol there is no rule saying you have to go along with the advice! :D

jane5
17-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Thats the great thing about this site,

You ask for advice, get lots of different advice, work out the pros and cons from all the advice, and do what suits you :thumbsup: