PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Childminding

Jac62
15-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone,this is a great forum.
I have a few questions to ask about becoming a childminder.
I am presently working for local government as a Portage worker.Portage is a home teaching service for children with additional needs.
Due to cuts,our service may not exist next year,which will be very sad as it is a valuable service to these mum's and children.I am beginning to think about what i can do,if I lose my job next year.We have been guaranteed funding for 12 months,then,it's anyone's guess what may happen.
Are you all finding there is still a demmand for childminders.I have a friend who has done it for the last 8 years,but she is having to look for a job as she is struggling to find families.she says people are looking at alternative carers-grandparents,family etc.
Also I am a Diabetic.I am well controlled,and have no issues,but would I be refused because of this.
I would like to consider childminding as I could offer my expertise with special needs children,and put my Portage training into practise with working with the children.We use the EYFS model in our work,so I a up to date with present requirements.
Many thanks.:)

Cammie Doodle
15-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh sorry to hear about your uncertain future at work, I worked briefly at a Nursery with a child who had a Portage worker and it was impressive. I have been a Childminder for many years :rolleyes: I have just cut back on the amount of days worked, but what I have noticed is I rarely get a request for full time Minding any more its usually 2 or 3 days max. I suppose it depends on where you live. I don't think being Diabetic will hinder you at all, but I'm sure someone will be along with some advise . Good Luck whatever you decide

mufftie
15-01-2011, 08:08 PM
i have a friend who has a serious diabetic condition and she is a childminder and it depends on area's but where i am its very busy
good luck