PDA

View Full Version : LOOKS LIKE I'VE GOTTA DROP OUT OF EYPS

The Juggler
14-01-2011, 10:18 PM
booked onto EYPS as was supposed to be at a local college on my day off (thurs). Changed so some of the prep days would be up in London - ok could work around that.

So off I go yesterday (bit stressed as now have a before schoolie so had to leg it for the train and was a bit late). Training was excitign but terrifying came away all stirred up then checked my diary for the other dates they've given me :eek: :eek: :eek:

one on a tuesday, one on a Wednesday, one on a Thursday - BUT IN HALF TERM so have MY kids and don't even know when other one is.

I know there is a bursary for supply cover but it's NOT the same as a nursery where child is familiar in the environment. You can't just farm 'em out to another CM for the day - even if it were someone I know and trust (but they are all full:( ) don't think parents woudl be too happy - I wouldn't.

You think a company organising early years training might understand this:angry: :angry:

Cost me £15 for a day travelcard too:p

sarah707
14-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh hunny I'm so sorry. Are you sure there isn't any way around it?

Hugs xx

The Juggler
14-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks Sarah. well I think Tribal are crap. only got the first date on 24th December and they only gave us these new dates to jot down (not on a programme or anything) at the prep day yesterday.

I'm going to look into Kingston uni (which isn't far) not sure who the training provider is there and the NDNA offer it through Open Uni apparently.

I really want to do it whilst funding is still available. Whilst in one way this is my get out of studying again at the mo - after going yesterday I was quite excited and geared up for it:( :(

Think I'm' going to complain formally to Tribal. I've spent at least 3/4 hours (not counting yesterday) attending interviews and filling in forms.

manjay
14-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh no what a pain in the backside!!! Hope you manage to get something sorted. They sound like they don't quite know what they are doing:rolleyes:

sarah707
14-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd have a word with some minders who have done the course and see if they can make any suggestions about providers who are childminder friendly.

xx

venus89
15-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh no.....

I was really lucky - I talked to the parents before applying for the course to see whether they'd support me as I had to have days off work. I offered them days in lieu in the holidays or being able to swap their day that week (so if I was in uni on Wednesday I'd have the child on Monday instead) I'm really lucky in that the ones most affected have jobs which can be flexible.Another one was only affected two days, in 5 months, so I just booked those as days off. Do you think your parents would be so understanding? My course has been on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, mostly Tuesdays, and they have altered one date from next Tuesday to the first Tuesday in February instead.

Try and make it work - it doesn't sound as though the course has a certain future after this year, at least in my neck of the woods, although my tutor has been involved in writing up the guidance handbook for those starting it later in the year and I know our uni has secured funding for it where other courses have had their funding pulled.

The Juggler
15-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh no.....

I was really lucky - I talked to the parents before applying for the course to see whether they'd support me as I had to have days off work. I offered them days in lieu in the holidays or being able to swap their day that week (so if I was in uni on Wednesday I'd have the child on Monday instead) I'm really lucky in that the ones most affected have jobs which can be flexible.Another one was only affected two days, in 5 months, so I just booked those as days off. Do you think your parents would be so understanding? My course has been on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, mostly Tuesdays, and they have altered one date from next Tuesday to the first Tuesday in February instead.

Try and make it work - it doesn't sound as though the course has a certain future after this year, at least in my neck of the woods, although my tutor has been involved in writing up the guidance handbook for those starting it later in the year and I know our uni has secured funding for it where other courses have had their funding pulled.

I wish I could do this Venus but I'm full on most of my other days so can't really offer any swaps plus most of my mums work in schools so hard for them to juggle lesson plans around. In addition I'm t-time only so don't really ever take time of during term-time so days off a no-no :(

Sarah good idea about finding out about other childminders. I'm going to ask for any CM's on the local EYPS network and see where they did theirs. I think the funding will disappear soon. Am going to check out the NDNA option though we had distance learners yesterday and they still have to attend the prep days so not sure it will make a difference.

venus89
16-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh that's a shame..... This is always one of the issues with childminding, isn't it, the training....? The Children's Centre manager has said to me that I can do whatever training I want to in my Centre days - whether it is for CMing or for the Centre (although they will each benefit each other) so I'll be paid to train :D I wish as childminders we had paid days off for CPD

Donkey
16-01-2011, 04:13 PM
we can venus, we just need to write it into our contracts
:rolleyes:

or so she says!!!

I need to get my bum into gear and when I review all my contracts, which I am very guilty of not doing, and write into them about paid training days...

I dont mind doing training on an evening or weekend, its the training I can't do like safeguarding and I feel that why should I lose a days pay for doing training which is solely for my job...

we shall see how they react if I get round to it :)

venus89
16-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Hmmm..... and then I could get them to pay me for my holidays too. I've managed to put my foot down now about bank holidays (thank goodness, with May coming up!) but I'm not going to be brave enough to ask them to pay for me to train anytime soon.....