PDA

View Full Version : dilema what should i do?

tomy12
17-04-2008, 09:40 AM
hi all.
I had a couple(1) come to see me regardidng childcare for thier little boy week before easter.and for it to start in september.
They only stayed 15 mins as mum was going out.
Anyway didn't hear anything from them so thought another waste of time.
so another mum (2)who wanted me to have her daughter be on about it since before xmas but can't get organised, origanlly wanted 15 hrs per week termtime and in the hols all day care on those days.
Well comes to signing contract she only wanted 5 hrs i said i only do a minimum of 8 hrs per week.
so that was that.
she started with me on monday.
now the mum of the little boy phoned me on wednesday to say could she drop boy in for settling sessions on monday.
I said i couldn't has i had a hospital appointment.
she said she needed it to start in June.
Should i explain to mum (2) that i have had enquiries for the full 15hrs that she origanlly wanted,& see if she will up her hrs ?
I loose 2 in september as one starts shcool & the other goes to full time nursery.
I don't want to end up out of pocket .
What would you do?
claire

chez1373
17-04-2008, 09:54 AM
This is prob oviouse but cant you take both???
If you are losing two will your numbers allow for both children??
I have no advice sorry im not good at this sort of thing but if you feel strong enough to say you have had more enquiries for the full hrs then i would do that but have you signed contracts etc?

Hope you can get it sorted as im sure you will get lots of advice from the girls and boys off the site they are much better at advice than i am sorry..

Monkey1
17-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry i can't really help, but i suppose the priority are the family who on contract with you now. It would look unprofessional to get rid of one to take on another. Can you perhaps go back to the 2nd family and say that you have taken on another one as they hadn't got back to you and offer her hours around the other mindee?
Good luck anyway!

tomy12
17-04-2008, 10:16 AM
hi all.

I can't have both as i would be over number untill september.
as the one who started on monday took the last place i had,but i still have weds free.
so don't know what to do.
claire

Tatia
17-04-2008, 12:06 PM
It's not many hours (the 8). What days and times would they overlap and how old are the children? Perhaps you could apply for a variance from OFSTED until September?

But I agree with Monkey in that your priorities should lie with the family you've signed a contract with.

Kelly
17-04-2008, 12:22 PM
It's always tricky when this happens, I agree with the others I am afraid I would say your priority should be with your contracted family.

What are the timings of the LO that started with you this week? 8 hours a is not alot, less than a couple of hours per day, could you not work around this a bit, explain to the new family that until september you need to do a bit of juggling with times. Could the LO you aleady have move to Wednesday's or if you allowed them to do the original 5 hours could you fit them in then? It really depends on the hours that the LG attends!

Good luck

Kelly

tomy12
18-04-2008, 11:08 AM
thank you all for your advice.
I am going to speak to contracted mum and see what she wants to do.
As either of us can end contract within the first few weeks without any notice.
will let you know later how it all goes.

claire

casey's mum
18-04-2008, 11:28 AM
It's not many hours (the 8). What days and times would they overlap and how old are the children? Perhaps you could apply for a variance from OFSTED until September?

But I agree with Monkey in that your priorities should lie with the family you've signed a contract with.

Totally agree...OFSTED may give you some help with any overlap??

Angela xx

tomy12
18-04-2008, 04:28 PM
update.
i spoke to mum of one who has started & she said oh she ment upping hr hrs from sept 09.
she forgot to metion it.
so i think i may have to say i missed out on little boy then as i can't have both.
and i would feel guilty ending contract just so i can have more hrs and would be letting this mum down.
thanks for all your help
claire