PDA

View Full Version : Planning permission!

TinyTinker
14-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi
I am considering going for planning permission in the near future to increase our council's allowed 6 mindees to 8. (I work with my hubby as an assistant).

The form to fill in is huge and most of in not applicable to childminding etc - more about building works:rolleyes: . And they have said the application will cost £335 which is payable whether permission is granted or not:eek:

Has anyone else gone for planning permission and been granted it?:o

sarah707
14-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I had the option when my partner joined me in the business.

The cost with our council was similar to yours. I think they said it would take up to 3 months.

I decided against it because one of the things they do is write to my neighbours asking about the impact of my business on their lives.

I do not want my neighbours making judgements about my business :(

A local minder applied and was turned down because one of her neighbours objected about the noise of children playing and the amount of cars dropping off / picking up children.

Crikey that's not very positive is it? I hope someone else comes along with better stories!! :D

TinyTinker
15-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm no too concerned about the neighbours bit, as it would really only effect one, which is a single lady who is a teacher. They way we are positioned at the end of a cul-de-sac and no houses to 3 sides of ours and 3 visitor bays opposite for parking and also enough space for 3 cars outside ours - drop offs would not inconvenience anyone. Nobody can moan about noise of kids playing as we live near a park and we get that anyway:clapping:

christine e
15-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi

Here is link to an old thread
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58392&highlight=planning+permission
ddw is a friend of mine and I know she will not mind me updating you on this.
She did get planning permission in the end but only for 12 children and only for 12 months (council to review after 12 months). Since then her assistant who rented the house next door has had to move out because the owner wanted to move back in and ddw sees that this could be a problem for her when the 12 months is up. ddw is now looking at going into daycare and renting premises!

Cx

Hebs
15-01-2011, 09:45 AM
how do you find out if you need permission??

clio0602
15-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Our local council only let us have a max of 4 minded children at any one time without planning permission which costs £250 to apply for! I was originally going to co mind but as we had 3 under5's ourself we would only be allowed 3 under5 between us which wouldn't be worth it and due to lack of parking we decided to mind seperately :-S

sarah707
15-01-2011, 10:16 AM
how do you find out if you need permission??

Ask your local planning department at the council.

As a rule you need permission if you intend to work as childcare on domestic premises - more than 3 minders working together

OR if you intend to take your total children above the usual 6.

However some councils have other limits and you will be told about them on your pre-reg course.

Your local DW should be able to help you as well.

Hth :D

Hebs
15-01-2011, 10:29 AM
we got told nowt on our pre reg course :rolleyes:

will ask our local early years

rickysmiths
15-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Also be aware that if you apply for planning permission you are effectively changing the use of you property from Domestic to Business and this can have tax implications when you come to sell your house (Capital Gains Tax ), you should also check the Deeds because some have restrictions and do not allow a business to be run from the house and so you can not apply for this change of use.

Hebs
15-01-2011, 01:32 PM
mines rented

rickysmiths
16-01-2011, 12:57 PM
mines rented

Hebs you should ask your landlord before you apply for any planning permissin as this could affect thir Mortgage and when they want to sell their house.

Hebs
16-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Hebs you should ask your landlord before you apply for any planning permissin as this could affect thir Mortgage and when they want to sell their house.

its a council house :thumbsup: