PDA

View Full Version : gutted

sarah32
14-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Was due a visit today for a 8 month baby to start in April, fitted in lovely with the one's I have already.

Got everything ready to show her, cleaned the house and she rang me an hour before to ask if I had any pets, said yes, told her I have dogs that are in separate room, a rabbit and a rat.

Said she wont be able to place her child with me as her husband doesnt want her to be around pets, I was stunned and after a minute said most childminders have pets as we have families and work from home. She said she doesnt have a problem but her husband does and he wont change his mind.

I said wouldnt it better for your child not to be scared of animals and pick this up from your husband, but she said he wont change his mind and will have to re think what shes going to do.

In then end, all i couldn say was good luck, most childminders I know have pets of some kind.

Totally gutted, need this as husband is out of work and my earnings are quite low at the moment:(

Tippy Toes
14-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Thats terrible, she is going to have a hard time finding a childminder without pets!

That is very strange hope you get some better luck soon x

carol cameron
14-01-2011, 02:12 PM
What a disapointment for you but it's not uncommon to read posts like this. Some parents just do not want their children to be around animals. I wonder if it's to do with the press reports of dogs attacking children which are made to sound so gory?
It's not a criticism as I have two cats myself (and am thinking of getting another one!) and I agree that children learn how to treat animals correctly but I can understand parents being a little wary sometimes when it is someone elses pet.
I must admit I have learned over the years to mention my cats in the first phone call from a parent before I go into any real detail. That way we don't waste each others time.
Good luck and hope you get a call soon from the right family:)

singlewiththree
14-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm one of the few childminders without pets, I have stick insects but they are out of reach. I've told my parents we are getting chickens soon though! most of my families have dogs

flowerpots
14-01-2011, 02:22 PM
awww thats a shame. :( but to be honest i dont have any pets and my dh would never allow our children to be around pets either. some people are just funny about things like that.:)

i personally would love a little dog or a cat and think it would really benefit my children but hubby wont allow it :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
14-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm one of the few childminders without pets, I have stick insects but they are out of reach. I've told my parents we are getting chickens soon though! most of my families have dogs

I was beginning to think we were odd! We have never had pets apart from a gold fish.

I am allergic to cats and dh hates them and there is no way I could have any dog and childmind, I couldn't shut a dog away in a sperate area of the house all day.

solly
14-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out. Over the years I have had lots of children because I dont have animals at home (I have a horse)

I do love animals and had a dog when i was younger but I would not have any pets whilst I am childminding as i just dont feel it would be fair on the animal but that is just my opinion

Ripeberry
14-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like he did not like the sound of a dog being in the household :( Can't see the problem of a rabbit or even a rat!

I've got a managerie of animals, chickens, cats, fish and a duck! But I'm not getting a dog until my own kids are older and I can trust them to not tease it.

Hopefully someone will be along soon :)

Playmate
14-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I was beginning to think we were odd! We have never had pets apart from a gold fish.

I am allergic to cats and dh hates them and there is no way I could have any dog and childmind, I couldn't shut a dog away in a sperate area of the house all day.

You are not alone, my children are on at me constantly on at me to have a dog, but I couldn't keep it shut away from the children or trust myself to never leave a child unattended with the dog if I had to walk out of a room, so we stay petless apart from tropical fish (which the children love) :D I do find it is one questions that I'm often asked and so often the reaction is "Oh good" when I say no. Sad, but that is the way it is.

grindal
14-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Not everyone shares the same enthusiasm for pets or animals. Before I was a childminder I was looking for a minder for DS1. I did not go and see minders who had cats and dogs as I have a severe cat allergy. At the time I was not sure if DS1 shared this, but I could not collect him from a house with cats in, and he would not have coped well either.

The great thing about childminders is that we are all different - like parents and their children. Hope a parent that fits in with your lifestyle comes along soon.

Louise0208

i have never had to shut my dog away in a seperate area apart from at meal times. not for the childrens sake but for the dogs.....he would be a walking barrel if the kids could feed him all the time!

my border collie is great with the kids (and so was my old dog when i was childminding a few years back)......my mindees are more vicious than the dog!

i have had both sides when it comes to minding, a parent picked me because i had a dog & they wanted one but didnt want LO to be nasty to it or be scared so it worked out well for them....they now have a 6 month old rotweiller

another family called 2 weeks back & one of there first questions was if i had pets (i have a dog, 3 cats, tropical fish & a marine reef aquarium), i told them this & they said sorry but thought dogs were dirty....fair doos, each to there own!.......again i have had mindees dirtier than my dog lol :thumbsup:

its also proven that children are healthier when bought up with animals :D

sarah32
It wasnt dogs in particular, it was all pets.

My dogs arent shut in one room, sorry, not what i meant, they have the run of the kitchen, conservatory and a back room we call the shed. There is a gate between the kitchen and the living room and the children can choose to go and say hello to them.

georgie456
14-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't have any pets!

I would love a dog one day but I know that lots of parents are put off so while I am childminding I don't intend to get any pets. Plus our house only just about fits us in, let alone any animals!!!! Although DD is hankering for some African Land Snails so that may be my one compromise!!!!!

miffy
14-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Very disappointing for you.

Hope something else comes up soon

Miffy xx

Mummits
14-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry but I too can see where the parents are coming from. My younger son has been attacked twice by dogs, both of whom had owners who said they wouldn't hurt a flea. The first said stand still he won't bite you so the poor kid stood still and got bitten on the leg. The second time he was running away (in a children's playground) when a dog twice his size knocked him to the ground and bit his arm. The owner strolled up in the aftermath and the first thing he said was that it could not possibly have been his dog (it was, without the slightest question). Naturally enough my lad is now terrified of even the tiniest fluffiest little specimens. There are lots of people who love their pets but don't really acknowledge what they are capable of.

...runs off to hide from angry dog lovers.

Louise0208
14-01-2011, 03:30 PM
i think it all comes down to responserble ownership :D

Mollymop
14-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I have pets - 1 dog, 1 tortoise, 2 rabbits, fish and 3 bearded dragons
The children are only allowed contact with the dog mind, but i have only ever had one enquiry who was put off by me having a dog everyone else loves the fact that we have pets.

The dad is being a bit too over the top with this I think:rolleyes:

sarah32
14-01-2011, 03:43 PM
My dogs are friendly but I would never take a chance with any children, my own or minded, thats why i dont allow them to be free in the same room with children.

My children have been around dogs since they were born and know how to behave with children, I have had minded children that didnt like dogs but parents didnt want them to be afraid and like my setting, they way I had the dogs and when they left me they had started to stroke them by choice.

Like I said I dont think it was particularly the dogs that were the problem but i think its a shame that the child wont come into contact with any animals.

children get so much from animals in general, my minded children love my rat and get all excited when she comes out, they wave and talk to her.:)

Shirlwith3
14-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I had a child last year what had dogs at home but was scared of them (staffies) & since coming to me & us getting our puppy he had over come his fear of their own dogs & was starting to intreract with them.

I had a family come to see me last year & dad was a dog handlier so thought they were ok with me & having a dog, they never got back to me.

Oh my own daughter was not too keen on dogs but now we have our own she not scared anymore

Ripeberry
14-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I've always had animals, even as a child I once had in my bedroom! Two hamsters, 6 gerbils, two budgies and a baby blackbird in the cupboard.
Yes you heard it right! I was always finding wildlife and bringing it home and I even had a mole in my dolls house and took a hedgehog home in my school bag.

Even now, I just can't resist getting more animals, but i'm a bit more sensible I think? ;)

michellethegooner
14-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I can understand why some parents don't want their children near animals, My sister-in-law is petrified of cats - no reason she just dreads them, Unfortunately as much as some of us love our pets we have to understand and respect parents that don't share our view, doesn't mean their being over the top. I mean how many people here are scared of mice, spiders etc I know if someone had a pet spider I wouldn't be within a mile's radius of their home, at the end of the day, that is what makes us childminders so different we all have different selling points.

Oh and before anyone thinks I am anti pets I'm not, we have a little dog, a cat & 4 guinea pigs :) Our dog is a terrier cross and the sweetest little thing you will ever meet, mindees think she looks like pippin lol she stays out in fenced of area in garden with access to shed, or has the run of upstairs if it is too cold wet etc and yes I could sit here and confidently say she wouldn't hurt a flea, and while I truly believe that.... I would never ever take that risk. our cat has sense and will not step foot in our house (no matter the weather) until there are no children here, he scrams out the door as soon as they arrive and comes in when last one has gone, and the guinea pigs are in my childrens bedroom 2 in my ds and 2 in my dd mindees do sleep in there as well and love them.

Yes I have lost potential mindees because of pets more so our dog Lucy but I do still get a lot of business and these parents love the fact that their child has the opportunity to have pets here and learn how to treat them, one set of parents chose me BECAUSE dad has a fear and didnt want this fear past down.

Like I say we are all different, sorry taking over your thread with my ranting lol :blush:

it is a shame for you but hopefully something else will come along

angeldelight
14-01-2011, 04:06 PM
It wasnt dogs in particular, it was all pets.

My dogs arent shut in one room, sorry, not what i meant, they have the run of the kitchen, conservatory and a back room we call the shed. There is a gate between the kitchen and the living room and the children can choose to go and say hello to them.

It is a shame Sarah

Hope someone else comes along soon

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
14-01-2011, 04:18 PM
That a real shame :(

Bridey
14-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I had a parent ring me who's husband also felt this way. I explained to her all the precautions I took regarding my dog.

A few weeks later she rang me back - all the available childminders had dogs but I was the one who had taken the most time reassuring her. She came round and her and her daughter met my beautiful elderly golden retriever. I then got the contract for the after-school care (she also had an 8 month old but I don't work with babies at the moment).

A few weeks ago she needed emergency care for the baby and I was first choice - not a word mentioned about the dog! I even gave her a picture of the baby and dog sitting together :)

RachelE
14-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I probably wouldnt choose a childminder with a dog.

Ds(9) isnt too bad, but dd(4) is petrified. We have tried my friend bringing her chihuaua (sp?) round to get Emma used to her - as she is about as big as a rat!
I would not feel comfortable leaving Emma somewhere where she is so scared.
I too do not like big dogs at all. - its not rational as small dogs can be violent, but its just they are so powerful. SIL has a huge golden retreiver who is only 1 and when we went at Christmas, he was still bouncy and huge and I wasnt happy with him.

- as for the rat, I know they are the best pets to have - but I'd have to collect from the doorstep! :D

Its a personal thing and obviously doenst reflect onb your abilities as a childminder.

Good luck fininding more children,
Rachel x

DAWN44
14-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Sarah, that is such a shame.

I am newly registered , no kids yet, but a few enquiries, which were not suitable due to different school runs etc.

I have a 14 year old mongrel, who sleeps literally all day, 4 noisy budgies and fish.

I do worry that my pets will put people off , especially Oscar the dog. He is very good with kids, and I would not leave unattended with children.

I think there will always be some parents that would not want a childminder with pets. I think its a real shame, but understand not everyone is as keen as me.

When I get an enquiry I always say, before we go any further I do have a dog and budgies. Then see what happens from there.

Hope you get someone else soon,

p.s. please can some of you lovely minders, send me your mindees. x:laughing:

mufftie
14-01-2011, 04:54 PM
that is a shame but somthing else will turn up im sure
i have a dog and its only ever put one person off and her daughter was obviously petrified as she screamed the whole visit

MaryMary
15-01-2011, 08:31 PM
That is a shame. Hopefully something else will come along for you soon :)

I worry that people are put off by me having pets (dog, cat, rabbit, goldfish). None have said so, usually the opposite - then they don't turn up/cancel :angry: They give other reasons (the last one has decided to leave work, the one before has to fight a court order from hubby 1st!!) but I still worry :(

One of our local Mrs O's is very anti-pets apparently, so I am dreading if I get her next time!

For some people it's a culture thing. Muslims, for example, consider dogs are dirty (maybe they have a point! :laughing: ). I used to puppy walk for the guide dogs, and the muslim parents would see the dog (with official guide dog labels, etc) and literally jump out of the way and flap their arms about :eek: It makes me cross - all they needed to do was walk past & ignore her - she was being trained to ignore everyone anyway!!

FussyElmo
15-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I can understand why some parents don't want their children near animals, My sister-in-law is petrified of cats - no reason she just dreads them, Unfortunately as much as some of us love our pets we have to understand and respect parents that don't share our view, doesn't mean their being over the top. I mean how many people here are scared of mice, spiders etc I know if someone had a pet spider I wouldn't be within a mile's radius of their home, at the end of the day, that is what makes us childminders so different we all have different selling points.

I agree not everyone is an animal lover and. I have a dog and I warn everyone who rings that I have one so they can make the decision whether or not to come and see me. If they choose not to then its not an issue :thumbsup: