PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice for crying child

Clever Clogs
14-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi all

Just looking for a wee bit of advice/tips. So far I've had a great start to the new year. For someone that's normally late for everything (except school and nursery) I have been early for everything this year, things aren't stressing me out so much and enjoying being back in a routine. There's just two things that's carried on from last year that's annoying the life out of me.

Any tips on how to stop running?????

Got two 3 year olds and a 2 year old who just want to run constantly...in the house, at toddlers, going to nursery etc. We have the house rules but as soon as one starts it, they all go and no telling them off seems to stop. think I've been put off going to a toddler/music group cause all the other kids join in the music whereas my son does for a wee while, but the other two just want to run around. I can sit one of them at the side for 'time out' but just starts it again and if I tell the other one, she just pushes her hand out and starts bawling . . . .taking me on to my other gripe.

Any tips for stopping a 3 year old crying every two minutes . . .if she's tired, if someone brushes against her, if someone looks at her, if other kids are noisy, if she can't get tv on, if she can but can't watch what she wants, if she has to sit at the table, if she can't play with the toys she brings, cries when mum leaves her at my door and i take her to nursery so crying the way up there . . . and so on. Have spoken to her mum before and we agreed we would give her the option of stopping crying and playing or go sit in the hall (she picks the latter so in my hall loads) I spoke to her again cause I was really beginning to get paranoid that she doesn't like coming here and only does it with me. She does it all the time in the house too and mum doesn't know what to do either. Cries when her big sis comes in from school for no apparent reason so then the cuddling and the 'what's wrong?' starts from big sis when there is nothing at all wrong. Help!!

gegele
14-01-2011, 12:44 PM
for the running : i still fight with my 2 5years old at time but maybe more outdoor running time would help. i make mine run on way back from school we pass by field and i referee some race from tree to tree and so on so they're runned out lol

i would tell the lo one that xhe can have all my attention when she's calm and not crying, that we can play, or read a book, what ever her favorite thing is and explain that crying isn't getting her anywhere. if she want something, don't like something is in pain or whatever she needs to talk to you with a big girl voice so you can understand and help her.

make sure you do really good eye contact and praising when she's not whinging. it must be an attention seeking habit she took at home and now just carry it on everywhere.

good luck :thumbsup:

angiemog
14-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a little mindee who is 2 1/2 she was very similar in that she would cry if a mindee touched her, if she didn't want to eat something, do something, if a mindee wanted her to play...... however I found that alot of this was settling in problems (I've had her since August) and also she wasn't used to children her age. She was used to babies and older schoolies. After a chat with her parents one evening.... I changed a few things I started giving her more time, more cuddles, more reassurance especially when a mindee wanted to play or if they touched her. She will now look at me and I say,'he's just playing...' It has worked for me. She is just a sensitive little girl who needs extra attention. A thirty second cuddle, a quick story has made a huge difference. It doesn't take me much more time or me away from my other mindees. It really depends on the children but with my mindee I couldn't have sent her in the hall as she would have been very distraught. It seems there may be other issues that are affecting her some how. I find the phrase 'would you like to do x or for me to do x works. If they say yes then I say ok stop crying then........however as I said previously children are all so different. Good Luck x