PDA

View Full Version : What would you do about this?

buzzy bee
14-01-2011, 12:15 PM
My mindee (9) has enuresis (wetting). She comes once a week after school and every time she comes she is already wet and smells quite strongly... I do prompt her to go to the loo but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I don't know what they are doing about it, or whether she's seeing anybody, but I think I need to chat to her mum about it and don't know how to go about it.

Also, are there health risks to my other mindees and my son? She sits everywhere - floor, sofa, dining chairs, but how can I clean the floor each night etc, and I can't go around after her wiping chairs etc, so what if she's been sat on a dining chair and then one of the little ones touches it - are there health risks for them?

I don't want to give notice because I know she's had a rough time and it's taken her a while to settle, but I don't think I can carry on having her if things don't improve...

She did used to get changed when she arrived at my house, but she still seemed to have accidents (no matter how much I prompted her) and still smelt...

Any advice is very welcome!!

gigglinggoblin
14-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I would ask mum if she is seeing a doctor, at 9 I would take mine if they have this problem. My 10yo hates using public loos and will wait til he gets home but he doesnt wet. Yes, I would have concerns about hygeine.

sarah707
14-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I would speak to parents and work out a routine for her something like...

When she arrives in from school, she has a shower and gets changed into clothes she keeps at the bottom of her school bag so she is nice and fresh.

She can bag up her wet clothes and pop them outside for parents when they arrive.

She should also be wearing some kind of incontinence pads that she can change when she has leaked.

If parents are not handling it then it's a form of child abuse and needs reporting. :(

The Juggler
14-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I totally agree with Sarah. I would be at the minimum expecting her to have a full change of clothes and wash her hands when she gets in. Poor child must be mortified - she'll have no friends as she gets towards high school.

Can she not wear incontinence pads etc??

Polly2
14-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Lots of helpful info on this site http://www.eric.org.uk/ maybe you could direct parents to after you have had a little chat?

buzzy bee
14-01-2011, 04:04 PM
thanks for the replies...

She never really mentions friends and it makes me sad to think she might not have any... kids are mean.

I will talk to her mum, I'm dreading it but i know i should for her sake. i would have thought she should be wearing pads too but she doesn't/.

mufftie
14-01-2011, 04:58 PM
thats awful , i feel sad for the girl :( she obviously needs this sorting out for her own sake

good luck talking to her parents but like someone else said it needs reporting if the parents arnt prepared to investigate as the child cannot go on like this