PDA

View Full Version : Glass film help

mrsbonnet
14-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I am in the process of registereing. The council have been and mentioned glass safety film on a few things. Do I really need it. My research shows my glass to be toughened or tempered. It is in 2 glass cabinets and small glass panels on internal doors. The council weren't worried about the fish tank, glass topped coffee table or full length mirror. I am tempted to wait till Ofsted come and see what they say.

All advice welcome! Thanks.

TinyTinker
14-01-2011, 06:39 PM
The only low level glass I have is in the internal door just in from the front door. This is where the children will come into my house, but then they will come through a stairgate which then prevents them from running up to or going near this door! But Ofsted insisted I put safety film on it anyway:rolleyes:

LucyatMCM
14-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I think they probably take it very seriously. My inspector even wanted me to do the narrow panes on the garage door. Plus, your introductory inspector might overlook it and then on your first inspection you might have someone else who will have to take it into account when grading you.

keeks
14-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine said nothing about my mirror wardrobes or glass shelves. I just think a bit like, we don't have to put safety glass on the windows, do we? Or the glass doors of the shower?

And we are allowed to have mirrors up? Is it because it is child height? In my bedroom there will only ever be sleepers or quiet play like reading etc.

I do know some inspectors want you to put the film up though.

Good luck!
xx

Louise0208
14-01-2011, 08:34 PM
i had glass lounge furniture (tv unit, coffee table, coasters & placemats) & was told to film it (tempered just means it breaks in a safer manner, not that its safer than other glass)

i just changed the furniture as it just looked NAFF!!! :rolleyes:

i was also told to remove a full length mirror from my hall as it couldnt be filmed (defeated the object really lol) but my glass panel doors were ok as long as they had BS kitemark (or the glass equivelent, cant remember what its called)

Doofuz
15-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I am going to have low panelled glass doors and have been told by my development officer that they would need to be 6mm thick at least, and carry the safety kitemark :)

mrsbonnet
15-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all your replies. Would it be acceptable to leave it as it is until my inspection, then discuss with Ofsted then and do whatever they say? I don't want to put film on everything (and it costs a fortune).

I am struggling with exactly what I should have done by the time they come and what can be a 'work in progress'.

trish72
16-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi

I had my pre-registration visit on Friday just gone, the lady was very nice and very thorough, she said that I would need to use safety film for my shed windows even though it is only used for storage,:clapping:

Adiamond
16-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I was told that you only needed film on glass is if doesn't have the safety glass kite mark!!!

I have got 2 sets of huge french doors, Ofsted said they were fine because they had the kite mark :clapping: x

mrsbonnet
16-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I was told that you only needed film on glass is if doesn't have the safety glass kite mark!!!

I have got 2 sets of huge french doors, Ofsted said they were fine because they had the kite mark :clapping: x

I think I'll leave it till they get here and check with them, otherwise I may be doing unnecessary things and missing others out!

MaryMary
16-01-2011, 10:00 PM
At my pre-reg Mrs O said I needed film on my hall mirror (full length), tv cabinet & double glazed front door. The door had a kite mark but it had the wrong number :panic:

I ordered film from a site online - much cheaper than Mothercare :D

Just google safety film :)