PDA

View Full Version : Been asked to join the Network

solly
13-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Today I had the Childminding Network Co-ordinator visit me to have a look at my paperwork to see where she could help as have my inspection due soon, and also help me with the variation form that i may need to fill in if the woman with the twins wants me to have her boys.

She was very impressed with all my paperwork (Thanks Sarah your e books have been invaluable) and said she would like me to join the network, we didnt have alot of time to go into it as i had to do the school run and she had been here 2 hrs before the subject came up.

I have had an email tonight from her with the forms to fill in and i just wondered if any of you could tell me what it actually involves?

She has given me a few pointers on my paperwork just to make it better and said i am well on my way to get an outstanding on my paperwork:)

TammyN
13-01-2011, 09:11 PM
from what i can see each area's network is different. i am in the process of joining mine but it seeems such a slow process and im beginning to wander if it's going to be worth it, having the support here seems enough for me :clapping: i'm sure someone will be along soon to answer some questions.

guest4
13-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Hiya,
Not sure where in the country you are but Im in Oxfordshire and joined the Trio Network back in the summer. I have made lots of new friends and it is very good for reflective practice. (working towards different levels)

I dont find the paperwork too much, onl;y comes in once every six months

Take care and good luck in whatever you choose

Tracey x

miffy
13-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Why don't you ask your DO to put you in touch with someone else from your area who's on the network.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Marshmallow
13-01-2011, 10:07 PM
:blush: I was also invited to join, but in my case, couldn't see the benefits outwaying the extra work :panic:
Sorry guess thats not quite what you wanted to hear :blush:

solly
13-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Marshmellow i am happy to recieve positive & negative opinions on it :)

flowerpots
13-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Im part of my local network which is an ncma accredited network. i find it sooo beneficial, we get offered extra training, support access to resources and grants and the chance to become accredited childminders. My network co-ordinator visits every 4-6weeks and helps and advises on ways to improve my setting, he also makes unannounced visits which the parents love. i had to complete ALOT of aperwork to join and went through an assessment but t was worth it and being a member doesnt involve any extra work.

Like others have said i think it depends on your area and the type of network.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:D

Helcatt
13-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Im part of my local network which is an ncma accredited network. i find it sooo beneficial, we get offered extra training, support access to resources and grants and the chance to become accredited childminders. My network co-ordinator visits every 4-6weeks and helps and advises on ways to improve my setting, he also makes unannounced visits which the parents love. i had to complete ALOT of aperwork to join and went through an assessment but t was worth it and being a member doesnt involve any extra work.

Like others have said i think it depends on your area and the type of network.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:D

Thats how it is my area - I've found the lady to be really helpful, though I know some are not great

Hx

Bridey
14-01-2011, 07:38 AM
I have never wanted to be a member of a network as I answer to Ofsted not the NCMA (which is a charity, not a governing body). My business hasn't suffered in any way not being a member of one.

manjay
14-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I have never wanted to be a member of a network as I answer to Ofsted not the NCMA (which is a charity, not a governing body). My business hasn't suffered in any way not being a member of one.

I certainly don't answer to NCMA and I would say that my business also would not have suffered if I hadn't beeen a network member. However my business has definitely benefitted from being a member. Ours is also a CCF community and Early Years network and I have much the same experience as Flowerpots. Through our network I have access to lots of training, it enables me to deliver Early Years Education and funded places for 2 year olds and I provide short term placements for families in need. Yes the paperwork to join is quite lengthy but once that is done it doesn't involve much extra work.

It does however depend entirely on what type of Network runs in your area and I know not all are as friendly as mine. For me joining our Network has been one of the best things I have done since starting minding.

grindal
14-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I am happy to be part of my local network too. They offer lots of free courses, we get bags full of NCMA paperwork and every 2/3 months i am observed. Parents like the fact I am happy to give up my time to do additional courses, and that I get observed on a regular basis.

sandy64
14-01-2011, 02:24 PM
hi ive been a network c.m for 6yrs we dont do loads of paperwork obviously there is some but ive not found it hard we get a visit about every 3mths then an unanouced visit which ive never had a problem with we have been unlucky in my area as so many n.c they seem to come and go so had a few theyve always been nice and mostly helpful apart from 1 lol. i would say go for it theres more on offer for you too:)

georgie456
14-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Hiya,
Not sure where in the country you are but Im in Oxfordshire and joined the Trio Network back in the summer. I have made lots of new friends and it is very good for reflective practice. (working towards different levels)

I dont find the paperwork too much, onl;y comes in once every six months

Take care and good luck in whatever you choose

Tracey x

I am also on the Trio Network in Swindon. I agree that the paperwork is managable and it has only enhanced my practice with all the training they provide!

Allie
14-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm on the Hampshire children come first network. I am able to deliver Early Years Education so parents can have upto 15 hours free when elegible. I have found parents stay with me rather than reduce hours when children would have gone to pre-school (sometimes sharing EYE hours with pre-school)
I have been offered extra training, some support from co ordinator and parents seem to be asking if childminders are network and using their spaces first. Been on over five years and no drawbacks so far, go for it if you don't like it you can always leave.

Allie