PDA

View Full Version : What are the most important things about EYFS for 0-20 months?

venus89
13-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I have been asked to train an early years practitioner in the Children's Centre about EYFS. Her background is schools so she'll be pretty clued up anyway. I'm very pushed for time. I want this to especially relate to 0-20 month olds, partly because then I can use it for one of my EYPS written tasks (:blush: )

What would you say the most important things are about EYFS in this age range? Planning still happens, but slightly differently, especially with the very young ones. Observations and assessments too. But how would you teach somebody who is not used to EYFS to apply it to young children? Is there anything really good you've encountered in a training session which has made it all click into place for you?

Playmate
13-01-2011, 10:34 PM
right at this moment I'm so tired and my brain is not in gear, sorry :blush: just thought I would bump this up for you :D

The Juggler
14-01-2011, 07:49 AM
to use resource and activities that will foster curiosity and independence in learning/wanting to explore and learn.

miss mopple
14-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I think one of the most important aspects of EYFS for that age is the emphasis on partnership with parents. That 2 way exchange of information is essential to ensure babies are able to feel safe, nurtured and thrive. Establishing a bond between key person and the child is so important.

And what juggler said :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
14-01-2011, 08:57 AM
oh heck how do you define that one.....

I would say one of the most important bits is fostering and nurturing PSED. Get that and other things fall into place. No offence meant to anyone but I feel that schools fall badly short of pastoral and in loco parentis care and that is what us under 5 carers excel at.

of course the pc bit is that no one bit of eyfs is more important than another bit.... but i truely believe get teh PSED and then CCL and PD fall into place and the other bits follow naturally

sarah707
14-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Interested adults to interact with the child :D

venus89
14-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you all. I find that with the younger ones there's a lot less adult led play (excluding the fact that I may provide x, y or z with the aim that they learn something particular from it) and that I plan less for them as their learning is often based on environment.

I agree with all the above comments, thank you so much. I have so much on my plate at the moment that my thought are all jumbled up :(

keeks
14-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I agree with all above. I also think the Practice guidance booklet is really helpful with the Development matters, Look listen and note, Effective practise and Planning and resourcing columns for the different ages. They are very helpful to newbies as well as oldies.

Good luck!
xx