PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest on Calpol?

keeks
13-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi all, I've been ever so busy with settles and new mindees starting lately!

Now I'm in need of some advice.

I had a new mum with a 10 month old visit today. She wants to start settling next week, and she asked my about my policy on Calpol. I said I wouldn't feel comfortable administering Calpol unless prescribed by a doctor. She asked if I would consider administering it if baby was teething, or if baby wasn't really poorly but a bit under the weather, like with sniffly nose and a bit grumpy. I said I wanted to check guidelines before giving an answer.

So, what do you reckon?

xxx

Daftbat
13-01-2011, 04:32 PM
You can give non prescriptive medicines to children so long as you have written authority to do so and follow the dosage charts on the bottle. You need to speak to the parent before you administer it ideally to check when it may have last been given or just ask a parent when they drop the child off. If its for teething the parent is likely to tell you each time if they are having problems and whether any medication has been administered.

Complete the medicines forms when the parent collects the child and all is covered.

Mookins
13-01-2011, 04:38 PM
i have a form for medications which i have parents fill in with me that gives the time of the last administer of medication from before they enter settings etc il see if i can attach it aS Im no good at explaining, i dont think as far as i know there are rules against NOT giving it but all down to personal preference.

hopefully form is now attached

xx
p.s soo glad to hear how busy you are

gegele
13-01-2011, 04:39 PM
i have it in my permission forms.

if i think that lo needs it i text or phone parent and ask them if they agree for me to administer it. if yes they have to send a text giving consent so it's written!

and at then end of the day i make them sign the administration with dose and time:thumbsup:

sweets
13-01-2011, 05:39 PM
i have permission slips signed to say that when at all possible i will contact parents before administering calpol but if i can't get hold of them i can just give it.

i wouldnt want to not be able to give it too a child who had a raging temperature! i witnessed my god daughter having a febrile convulsion last year because of a high temp and it was horrible and not something i would like to see again!

if a child is suffering with cold then i think they should have calpol, its only like us taking a headache tablet, we wouldnt like it if we couldnt have one!

onceinabluemoon
13-01-2011, 06:29 PM
i have permission slips signed to say that when at all possible i will contact parents before administering calpol but if i can't get hold of them i can just give it.

Is this ok with ofsted hun?

I thought we had to get written permission each and every time as one of the statutory guidelines. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I have misunderstood that though I'm such a ditz at times!

snufflepuff
13-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I will give calpol but only if needed eg if the child is visibly in pain or has a temperature. I won't give it just because parents have been doing so- unless prescribed of course. Parents sign to give permission for calpol when signing contracts but I still contact them first just incase LO has had some at home, unless they have bought the calpol in the morning in which case they would have filled out a medicine form for it with times of doses given at home.

I don't give more than one dose either, unless prescribed, or for something like teething pain which may be ongoing. I figure if after one dose the child is still unwell they really should be at home.

pinkbutterfly
13-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Is this ok with ofsted hun?

I thought we had to get written permission each and every time as one of the statutory guidelines.

You're absolutely right. We MUSN'T administer anything without written permission. A text message would be enough to allow us do it.
By giving a child medication without parents consent we may put ourselves in big trouble and also we'd be putting the child at risk as they may have had a few doses which we weren't told about ....

pinkbutterfly
13-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Parents sign to give permission for calpol when signing contracts

You can't have blanket permission for Calpol. Did Ofsted see this? This has been a subject of a quite interesting discussion at my ChIP course and we were told that blanket permission can be used only if it's a long term condition that may require medication like epi pen for example.

snufflepuff
13-01-2011, 06:58 PM
You can't have blanket permission for Calpol. Did Ofsted see this? This has been a subject of a quite interesting discussion at my ChIP course and we were told that blanket permission can be used only if it's a long term condition that may require medication like epi pen for example.

Really? Not sure how closely Mrs O looked but yes she did look at my contracts etc. That's interesting. I have never given it without either the parent signing a form in the morning and providing the bottle of calpol themsleves, or me calling tor texting them during the day to ask for permission and then asking them to sign the form later on....is that ok? I'd never give it without checking first, incase the child had some at home.

singingcactus
13-01-2011, 07:03 PM
like with sniffly nose and a bit grumpy.

xxx

I'd probably let the parent know that paracetamol will not stop a runny nose or make a baby suddenly happy.
I know calpol is a much used name, but it is just the trade name for paracetamol solution aimed at little children. It's not a magical fix all potion - just paracetamol. It kills pain.

Penny1959
13-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Check out Ofsted guidelines http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/content/download/9051/100123/file/Giving%20medication%20in%20childcare.doc

I read this that we can give calpol with prior blanket permission - Mrs O at pre reg and different Mrs O at first graded both read my policy and looked at permission forms and in case of graded Mrs O at the after the event signature for calpol and were fine.

My blanket permission form gives me permission to give one dose of calpol as appropriate to child's age and instructions on bottle.

To give one dose will not harm the child but at best could prevent the child from reaching a very high temp and therefore a possible fit and at least prevent a lot of discomfort.

Any child requiring a second dose would be sent home as clearly not well and needing to see doctor / be at home with parents.

Because of this policy parent do tell me if child had calpol at home as not worried that I am going to not let child in.

BUT please read guidelines yourself and reach you own conclusion.

Penny:)

Bridey
13-01-2011, 07:35 PM
if a child is suffering with cold then i think they should have calpol, its only like us taking a headache tablet, we wouldnt like it if we couldnt have one!

I think we need to remember its actually serious medicine - I remember the hospital weighing my six year old son to work out an exact dose of calpol to give him (he had pneumonia). It was less than the age related dose on the bottle which shocked me.

Daftbat
14-01-2011, 10:41 AM
If you check the guidelines we are definitely allowed to take permission/authorities to give children in our care non-prescriptive medicines.

When parents sign contracts they get this form given to them which in my case covers specifics - paracetamol, ibuprofen, sun cream, teething gels. They are perfectly clear about how I put this in to practice and can amend/reject any part of the permission slip. If the medication is needed I contact the parent to advise what I am doing and to check about any other dosages which may have been given just to be sure - generally I would have been told this at drop off anyway. This information is recorded along with what I have given and the book is signed at the end of the day.

I have been inspected twice since I put this in to place - gained outstanding last time and all confirmed as fine.

keeks
14-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Wow, this is an interesting discussion! Thanks for all your advice. I told her in the end that I would give Calpol with written permission for teething, and I would give one dose with written permission if baby seems poorly but I'm not comfortable caring for a baby who is unwell enough to need calpol.

I very rarely gave mine paracetamol when they were younger and I don't usually take it myself when I have a cold or flu. I think you then keep being active when your body is really telling you it has had enough and needs to rest.

Lots to drink and rest and sleep, being with mum or dad when babies are poorly!

I have printed the Ofsted guidelines and put it in my medical folder. :thumbsup:

xx