PDA

View Full Version : Yucky nappies - is this normal?

butterfly
13-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I apologise now if this is a little graphic at lunch time but I'm concerned over a child. He's just 3 and is showing no signs of being ready for toilet training so obviously I'm changing his nappies.

There are 2 problems -

1. He has at least 2 soiled nappies a day and the poo is never solid. I have younger children who have nappies like rabbit poo but his are never anywhere near this. They remind me of young baby nappies but they're brown not yellow! Also they absolutely stink!! I'm quite good with other children's smells but he makes me urge!

2. He has spots on both sides of his bottom in lines about where his nappies go round his legs. These are proper spots not just normal nappy rash and he ALWAYS has them which sounds to me like no one is treating them.

I'm pretty sure he comes to me in the same nappy he slept in which I think is awful. I change him as much as I can but to be fair his stinking nappies really put me off putting any cream or anything on him. I know that sounds awful but his hygiene is so poor.

I've tried mentioning it to mum and making a point of telling her how horrible his nappies were but she never comments.

Flisspaps
13-01-2011, 01:14 PM
:( Poor thing (you and him!)

Do you have any idea what his diet is like when he's not with you? Is there any opportunity for nappy-off time at your house, so that he can get a bit of air around the patches on his legs where the spots are?

miffy
13-01-2011, 01:16 PM
It doesn't sound normal and you can't think it is either or you wouldn't have asked.

What about his diet - does he have a lot of milk? It might be an allergy.

Have you asked mum if she'll get him checked out at the drs? Mention both the pooh and the spots that need looking at.

Is she a young mum, first child? Do you think she just needs some guidance, you know doesn't realise things aren't quite right?

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be 20 questions, just hard to say on so little information.

If you're concerned about the child (possibility of neglect) then you should start recording your concerns.
If mum is unwilling to seek help then you might have to.

Miffy xx

Helen79
13-01-2011, 01:21 PM
My ds is nearly 3 and has the most horrible nappies still and is not potty training yet. He's been tested for wheat intolerance I think but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him, it's just something I've got to wait for him to grow out of :panic:
I was advised to stop feeding him so much fruit which has helped a bit but his nappies are still disgusting. He did eat a lot of fruit so I've started offering more things like breadsticks, crumpets, toast and muffins as well as fruit at snack time.

I would maybe wash his bottom with some cotton wool, water and soap if you think he needs a good wash. Baby wipes can sometimes just mask the smell so every nappy change it just gets worse and then put cream on.

butterfly
13-01-2011, 01:23 PM
It doesn't sound normal and you can't think it is either or you wouldn't have asked.

What about his diet - does he have a lot of milk? It might be an allergy.

Have you asked mum if she'll get him checked out at the drs? Mention both the pooh and the spots that need looking at.

Is she a young mum, first child? Do you think she just needs some guidance, you know doesn't realise things aren't quite right?

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be 20 questions, just hard to say on so little information.

If you're concerned about the child (possibility of neglect) then you should start recording your concerns.
If mum is unwilling to seek help then you might have to.

Miffy xx

No I don't think this is normal. My DS is a week younger than this child and does not have soft poo all the time (he's potty trained but that shouldn't make a difference).

No this is an older mum who also has a 6 yr old.

I think I will record my concerns as there are other signs of neglect/laziness ie he wears the same clothes including socks for 3 days running every week!

I really wonder about his diet. I'll try and ask when she collects later.

loocyloo
13-01-2011, 06:20 PM
i looked after one family, where the children, until about 2 1/2 had 'toddler diarhheoa' - foul smelling, loose brown stools! horrrible.

it was just the way their bodies were, and as they grew, then their insides 'matured' and once it had, then they were able to be potty trained.

good luck x

crazyhazy
13-01-2011, 06:51 PM
i looked after one family, where the children, until about 2 1/2 had 'toddler diarhheoa' - foul smelling, loose brown stools! horrrible.

it was just the way their bodies were, and as they grew, then their insides 'matured' and once it had, then they were able to be potty trained.

good luck x

Similar here with my won two children, eldest had loose stools until just before 2 when they suddenly firmed up and she was ready to potty train, but my youngest was 2 in sept and they're still a mix at the moment and she's not ready to potty train yet. No idea about the spots though, maybe mention mum takes him to the drs to get them checked.