PDA

View Full Version : Just starting the process

Liz1980
13-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and have literally just phoned my local council to set the ball rolling.
I've just got a few questions to start with, firstly, I'm only planning to use my downstairs area for childminding, I don't have a spare bedroom and we have a downstairs toilet so it makes sense to just stick a stair gate on and stay downstairs with the child/children I'll be looking after. Is this ok to do or will I be expected to have an actual bedroom for daytime naps? Or should I rearrange my daughters bedroom so there is space for a travel cot?
Secondly, will I need to have cupboard/drawer locks? toilet seat lock? etc and I keep reading about fridge temperatures?
Lastly, I understand I need to do the CYPOP 5, and a 12 hr paediatric first aid course, but do I need to do a food hygiene course if I'm preparing food? Is there anything else I should be doing?
Thank you in advance for any help/advice,
Liz x

Penny1959
13-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Hello

You can just use downstairs - will just have to say where you will be sleeping the children.

As to safety EYFS requires you to say how you will keep children safe - so you may decide you do not need cupboard locks etc but will have to show how keep children safe. Personally I do this via a safety gate across the kitchen doorway - children can go in the kitchen but only when supervised and not at all when cooker on.

Hope this helps

Re Food hygiene - not standard practice will depend on your local council - both you Early Years team rules and those of you Environmental Health team. Pesonally I do not have a current food hygiene certificate just one from 1997.

Penny :)

Penny1959
13-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello

You do not need to sleep children upstairs - I don't

Re safety EYFS requires that you have to say how keep children safe - I keep them safe by having a gete across the kitchen doorway and do not have cupboard locks etc.

Re Food hygiene - not standard across country - will depend on rules of your early years team AND your Environment health team.

Liz1980
13-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks Penny, can I ask where you let the children sleep downstairs? Do you have a cot? or sofabed or something?

Penny1959
13-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks Penny, can I ask where you let the children sleep downstairs? Do you have a cot? or sofabed or something?

I have travel cots - but don't use them much, lie back pushchair and the sofa - it all depends on stage of development of child and parents requests about where their child sleeps.

I can shut the interconecting rooms off by closing the doors.

Liz1980
14-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Great, thanks for your help :)

Doofuz
15-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Hiya, and welcome to the forum :)

I plan on using my downstairs to sleep the children as the living room will be my quiet area. It's the only room where there is a television so can indulge in a dvd every now and then. There will be a gate across my kitchen door and all toxic liquids and unsafe items are out of reach instead of putting locks on doors. The children will not enter the kitchen whent he oven is on as the door gets a bit hot. I explained all this to my development officer and she said it was fine as I was able to show how I was going to manage the children's safety.

My food hygiene certificate is years old and I have plans to update it but this is because I currently work in a nursery and have access to the course. Show your understanding by putting up some pointers that parents can see, and most importantly, the Ofsted inspector. A safe fridge temperature is between 0 - 6degrees and your thermostat would regulate that temperature.

As well as a 12 hour paediatric course, you will be asked to do a safeguarding course too. The development team will give you details of this when you begin the course.

Good luck, anymore questions, just ask :)