PDA

View Full Version : smacking

Helen Dempster
13-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Good morning everyone

This morning when 17m was dropped off by mum, we were just getting him to settle when he hit my own ds with a toy. Mum grabbed him and gave him an almighty smack on his bottom. I was quite shocked. My DH was still home at the time and heard it from the kitchen, but he just said "that's what some parents do". I've made a note of it in my diary, but would you do anything else? I've not seen her hit him before. Surely hitting someone for hitting someone is a bit confusing, esp one so young?

mama2three
13-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I think I would say something to mum along the lines of Whilst she is obviously within her rights to use this method of punishment unfortunately you have a no smacking policy and so cannot allow it in your home . Should make her realise without putting her in defensive mode.
Whilst we all ( or at least most) disagree with smacking , it is still a parents right - until the authorities finally ban it altogether. Not holding my breath though!

candy cat
13-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I would say sorry but what you do at home is your business,but in my house we do not use any kind of corporal punishment:panic: .......We can't get into telling people how to bring their kids up as their is a fine line between working as a patnership or dictating to them......and of course i would write in file...i have general sheet for just concerns/problems etc and just keep in their file.:)

Goatgirl
13-01-2011, 10:15 AM
HI :),
I'd get Mum to sign to say this happened. I'd also explain you have no smacking policy (doesn't need to be written down to be justifiable: your home your rules!) and you absolutely don't allow it in your setting. If you want to give her a reason you can explain its often upsetting for the children witnessing it, as well as the child being struck, obviously.

I should think it would cause confusion for all the children too, if there are 2 types of discipline to learn at one setting.

I knew a childminder who struck her own child but not mindees and I wouldn't have sent my child to her knowing they would witness this. I think its reasonable to assume other mindees parents may remove their child knowing this could happen at your house.

Good luck: hopefully this will never happen again!

best wishes,
Wendy :)

tracey36
13-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I think I would say something to mum along the lines of Whilst she is obviously within her rights to use this method of punishment unfortunately you have a no smacking policy and so cannot allow it in your home . Should make her realise without putting her in defensive mode.
Whilst we all ( or at least most) disagree with smacking , it is still a parents right - until the authorities finally ban it altogether. Not holding my breath though!

I totally agree i would explain to the parent that you cannot allow this in your home esecially with other children present,,.,what does she think thats teaching everyone!!! im totally against smakcing a child i dont feel it serves any purpose and wish it would be banned altogether!!