PDA

View Full Version : Bubble well and truelly burst!

BlondeMoment
12-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I had my first Ofsted Inspection in September and got a "Good".
I finally thought thank God I can now start to enjoy my job. I then get told by my support worker that I now get a RAG inspection by the local authority. The lady picked loads of holes in all my paper work and has given me yet more to do! Saying I'm not showing any link between my planning and my observations. I was really happy with my ways of doing things. I'm quite happy with my "Good". Why aren't they! Does it matter if I ignore them?

I'm close to tears to be honest and starting to wonder if anyone will ever be happy.

karensmart4
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh no poor you. We haven't got RAG in our area but we have got (obv) Ofsted, our Development Officer and because I'm Accredited I've got a Teacher from County that all have their say..... and they ALL tell me to do things differently, it drives me nuts :angry:

What I end up doing is nodding in the right places, I take note of what they say and if it suits me I do as they ask or I use a bit of what they've said and sort of mix it a bit, hopefully it keeps them all happy....

Ofsted said to me and I quote "You take no notice of other people, Ofsted is the boss, you do as we say" :eek:

Hope you feel better soon, it's hard not to take it to heart ((( hugs to you)))

BlondeMoment
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh no poor you. We haven't got RAG in our area but we have got (obv) Ofsted, our Development Officer and because I'm Accredited I've got a Teacher from County that all have their say..... and they ALL tell me to do things differently, it drives me nuts :angry:

What I end up doing is nodding in the right places, I take note of what they say and if it suits me I do as they ask or I use a bit of what they've said and sort of mix it a bit, hopefully it keeps them all happy....

Ofsted said to me and I quote "You take no notice of other people, Ofsted is the boss, you do as we say" :eek:

Hope you feel better soon, it's hard not to take it to heart ((( hugs to you)))

Thats a massive help thank you. So hard when you're new to it all to know who and what to listen to. Even two ladies from the same organisation were saying to do things differently.

She was also putting alot of pressure on me to become an accredited CM as I have a level 3. No thank you!!!! Not just yet anyway. I want to take things one step at a time.

They want us al to be Outstanding. I don't want outstanding. I honestly don't. It's nothing but pressure. Our job is about being with little people and if we're stressed wrecks all the time how are we to do that properly.
Hate em! All of em! GRRRRRR:angry:

miffy
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh for goodness sake!!!!! You have a good from Ofsted, that's fantastic so why should some old RAG come along and diss it!

Thankfully we don't have that in our area (I hope!). Just nod in the right place and smile then carry on as you are doing! :)

Miffy xx

karensmart4
12-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm glad I was a bit of help :)

I don't think these people realise just how hard we all work or how stressed they make us :panic:

My sister told me to get a job with Ofsted as I knew more than them :laughing: :laughing: i don't think I would last very long :D

BlondeMoment
12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm glad I was a bit of help :)

I don't think these people realise just how hard we all work or how stressed they make us :panic:

My sister told me to get a job with Ofsted as I knew more than them :laughing: :laughing: i don't think I would last very long :D

I wouldn't either.All makes me too angry!
I don't know why one of them haven't stood up and said this is utter cr**

BlondeMoment
12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh for goodness sake!!!!! You have a good from Ofsted, that's fantastic so why should some old RAG come along and diss it!

Thankfully we don't have that in our area (I hope!). Just nod in the right place and smile then carry on as you are doing! :)

Miffy xx

I'll try. Thank you x x x

The Juggler
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree you are doing a fab job. I had a FCCERS done last year and though mostly feedback was positive the development areas they wanted me to work on,one for sure I will never implement as to me it is safety over hygiene issue.

They are the ideal of perfection hon and workign alone we just cannot do this. at the end of the day you know you are doing a fab job with the kids, recording what and why you do the things you do on paper is proof for ofsted (or the RAG assessors) but not proof you need.x

BlondeMoment
18-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I agree you are doing a fab job. I had a FCCERS done last year and though mostly feedback was positive the development areas they wanted me to work on,one for sure I will never implement as to me it is safety over hygiene issue.

They are the ideal of perfection hon and workign alone we just cannot do this. at the end of the day you know you are doing a fab job with the kids, recording what and why you do the things you do on paper is proof for ofsted (or the RAG assessors) but not proof you need.x

Aw thank you. That helps alot x

rickysmiths
18-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Ofsted are the only people who have a Satautory right of inspection.

In the case of being Acredited then you are subject to different criteria ontop of Ofsted. As long as you are meeting your Statutory Obligations and Ofsted has inspected and is happy then you don't as I see it have to do anything anyone else says.

Also if you are part of a Quality Assurance Scheme then this may be run by your LA and this would envolve assessments but you would know about that if you were doing it.

What right do the local authority have to inspect us? None as far as I can see and I would question it up to the hilt before I let anyone in my house. Is this woman coming back to see you? I would have said 'well Ofsted were more than happy with what I am doing and I'm not going to change anything so what are you going to do about it?' What can they do for goodness sake!!! :laughing: It is now 10 years since the Local Authorities regulated Childminders.

I will be possing this as a question at my next NCMA East Region Forum Meeting in a couple of weeks.

Penny1959
19-01-2011, 06:25 AM
First - everyone is right - it is Ofsted who grade you for regulation purposes - so anything extra - is just that an extra.

ECCERS and RAG are just LA methods of accessing who they need to target their support to

When I left the LA in Worcestershire they were just bringing in RAG (and ECCERS)

AS far as I know your RAG (or ECCESRS) score are only known to the LA and they do not publish or share with names attached - just the numbers of providers with each grade / score. It is a quality improvement measure FOR THEM the idea being that they do not support those that they deem to be fine.

SO of course you need to be seen to be working with them BUT you do not have to implement their ideas - Their role is to SUPPORT and ADVICE not to TELL.

It may be in the future that NEF funding may be linked to LA systems - ie you have to score well on their systems to recieve the funding - and personally I can see there is something in this due to some Ofsted inspectors making silly judgements (and we all know some do) - it means if Ofsted make a bad judgement if LA say you are ok - you can still get NEF

BUT until your LA tell you this (and only then if you are accredited) you just carry on with the systems that work for you.

Penny :)

rickysmiths
19-01-2011, 08:43 AM
First - everyone is right - it is Ofsted who grade you for regulation purposes - so anything extra - is just that an extra.

ECCERS and RAG are just LA methods of accessing who they need to target their support to

When I left the LA in Worcestershire they were just bringing in RAG (and ECCERS)

AS far as I know your RAG (or ECCESRS) score are only known to the LA and they do not publish or share with names attached - just the numbers of providers with each grade / score. It is a quality improvement measure FOR THEM the idea being that they do not support those that they deem to be fine.

SO of course you need to be seen to be working with them BUT you do not have to implement their ideas - Their role is to SUPPORT and ADVICE not to TELL.

It may be in the future that NEF funding may be linked to LA systems - ie you have to score well on their systems to recieve the funding - and personally I can see there is something in this due to some Ofsted inspectors making silly judgements (and we all know some do) - it means if Ofsted make a bad judgement if LA say you are ok - you can still get NEF

BUT until your LA tell you this (and only then if you are accredited) you just carry on with the systems that work for you.

That seems a little odd, surely the ones who need the support and would benifit from additional training are the ones who score more lowly.

I'm afraid it strikes very much of a tick boxing exercise and a very labour intensive expensive one so tha LA's can boast amoung one another that they have x no of Outstanding Providers and so they get extra funding.

The money would be better spent giving more regular overall support to everyone, not making it potentially harder for people who work hard to access training. The money they save would pay for a lot of extra training wouldn't it.

Also I think it might be better if we did go back to annual inspections so parents felt we were being properly regulated and monitored instead of the rediculous 3-4-5yr gaps were have now. We all sit around on tenterhooks, sometimes for months and in our area some for nearly a year overdue.

From a new parents point of view a lot can happen in that time to change the quality of provision.

I think if we had annual checks by Ofsted it would actually take a lot of the pressure out of inspections and there would be no point in dong what a lot of people do and going mad to get up-to-date when there is an impending inspection.

We should always be up-to-date in a working way and if we are working to an outstanding level this should constantly evident in our daily working practices not something we work like heck for in the weeks before inspection and then relax until the next time in 3-4 years. I think it would help everyone to keep ontop of everything.

Bridey
19-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm completely baffled! RAG? ECCRS? NEF?

Chimps Childminding
19-01-2011, 09:43 AM
As usual Sarah you are making an awful lot of sense :thumbsup:

Penny1959
19-01-2011, 11:50 AM
That seems a little odd, surely the ones who need the support and would benifit from additional training are the ones who score more lowly.

I'm afraid it strikes very much of a tick boxing exercise and a very labour intensive expensive one so tha LA's can boast amoung one another that they have x no of Outstanding Providers and so they get extra funding.

The money would be better spent giving more regular overall support to everyone, not making it potentially harder for people who work hard to access training. The money they save would pay for a lot of extra training wouldn't it.

Also I think it might be better if we did go back to annual inspections so parents felt we were being properly regulated and monitored instead of the rediculous 3-4-5yr gaps were have now. We all sit around on tenterhooks, sometimes for months and in our area some for nearly a year overdue.

From a new parents point of view a lot can happen in that time to change the quality of provision.

I think if we had annual checks by Ofsted it would actually take a lot of the pressure out of inspections and there would be no point in dong what a lot of people do and going mad to get up-to-date when there is an impending inspection.

We should always be up-to-date in a working way and if we are working to an outstanding level this should constantly evident in our daily working practices not something we work like heck for in the weeks before inspection and then relax until the next time in 3-4 years. I think it would help everyone to keep ontop of everything.

Couldn't agree more with your comments about annual inspections - and no notice where possible - I personally don't agree with weeks of preparation (although when you know an inspection is due you can't help checking everything)

Re comments with accredited childminders - I agree with you - those in networks etc should not need extra support - in Worcestershire they are in the process of changing how assess those who want to be accredited - dropping the NCMA method - (which is madness in my view - but I don't work for them anymore - and this is one of the reasons) and using Eccers and their RAG system.

I did not make it very clear - but in Worcestershire you will need a certain 'score' to be accredited but not get additional support.

All other childminders will get a RAG rating based on Ofsted grade, training attended and varies other things (not sure if all will get Eccers). It is those who get a low RAG that will get support.

Penny1959
19-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm completely baffled! RAG? ECCRS? NEF?

Sorry - a bad habit

RAG - a rating system - stands for Red, Amber, Green

NEF - Nursery Education Funding

ECCERS - Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale - lots of LA's are starting to use this. There is also FCCERS which is the one that relates more closely to childminding and stands for Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale.

mamasheshe
19-01-2011, 07:17 PM
noooooooooooo i got a RAG letter through this morning going to phone dev worker to find out more

BlondeMoment
24-01-2011, 04:57 PM
noooooooooooo i got a RAG letter through this morning going to phone dev worker to find out more

well don't panic. They'll make you think it's all very important but it's what Ofsted says that matters according to all those experienced on here. It's advice! Thats all x

Chatterbox Childcare
24-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Ofsted are the only people who have a Satautory right of inspection.

In the case of being Acredited then you are subject to different criteria ontop of Ofsted. As long as you are meeting your Statutory Obligations and Ofsted has inspected and is happy then you don't as I see it have to do anything anyone else says.

Also if you are part of a Quality Assurance Scheme then this may be run by your LA and this would envolve assessments but you would know about that if you were doing it.

What right do the local authority have to inspect us? None as far as I can see and I would question it up to the hilt before I let anyone in my house. Is this woman coming back to see you? I would have said 'well Ofsted were more than happy with what I am doing and I'm not going to change anything so what are you going to do about it?' What can they do for goodness sake!!! :laughing: It is now 10 years since the Local Authorities regulated Childminders.

I will be possing this as a question at my next NCMA East Region Forum Meeting in a couple of weeks.

to be accredited you have to belong to an accredited network and they do have a say as they are answerable to a higher authority who inspect them. In my case it is NCMA