PDA

View Full Version : Every Child Matters? Not any longer.....

venus89
12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Gone.

The Children's Development Workforce is gone too.

Did anybody else miss that happening or is it just me being a bit slow.....?

sandy64
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
i missed that whats taking its place?

funemnx
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Hmmm, more changes, does it never end!!! :mad:

Pipsqueak
12-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I knew CWDC was going

didn't know about ECM

Doofuz
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I heard this was going to happen the other day at work. Doesn't surprise me though, it's typical!

venus89
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Well that's all according to my tutor on the EYPS course today. But she's not always right! And couldn't tell us whether the CWDC going would affect us in any way (EYPS is part of the CWDCs 'vision to build a world-class workforce for children, young people and families'). I did look for the ECM pages on the DfE website and it's not up so my tutor could well be assuming. I don't understand how they [I]could[I]get rid of the foundation for EYFS? But hey ho.

veritybirkettjo
12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Questions answered by the education commitee.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmeduc/395-i/395-i05.htm

Q69 Craig Whittaker: A final question about the five outcomes on the Every Child Matters agenda. How are we going to monitor those and drive those forward?

Michael Gove: I think the important thing about the five outcomes—I was discussing this with some colleagues earlier today. I was going to say that I wonder, if you asked Members of Parliament, "Can you name the five outcomes for Every Child Matters?" how many Members of Parliament would be able to recite them in the same way that we recite the Lord's prayer at the beginning of the parliamentary session. I don't think many would. For the benefit of everyone here, they are: being healthy, staying safe, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and securing economic well-being. As a statement of five things that we'd like for children—

Ian Mearns: Amen.

Michael Gove: Exactly. They are unimpeachable—gospel, even. But the point I would make is that in a way, they are what every teacher will want to do. I haven't met many teachers who say, "I want my children to be unhealthy," "I'm going to put my children at risk," "I'd like them to have a horrendous time and fail at school," or "I'd like them to be negative and unemployed." Teachers naturally reflect those priorities. As a list, as Ian says, amen to that, but I don't think you need a massive bureaucratic superstructure to police it. What I do think you need to do is give teachers a bit more freedom to make it live in their own environment. The final thing that I would say is that sometimes people say, "You really need to emphasise well-being, because there's too much emphasis sometimes on attainment." I know where folk are coming from when they say that, but my own view is that if you come from a working-class background, what you want is a school where you will be well taught and where you will receive the qualifications that allow you to decide whether or not you're going to get a good job, go on to college or pursue an apprenticeship. Actually, the single most important thing that a school can do is equip children with the qualifications and self-confidence to take control in the future. Those schools which have high academic attainment are always schools where you have great extra-curricular activities, strong pastoral care and teachers who take an individual interest in how children are doing. As I said, I've got no problems with Every Child Matters as a list, but I do think it's important that we recognise that it should be policed in a hands-off way.

venus89
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Which is wonderfully parliamentary ambiguous! But he's quite right of course, and I love how he puts it

I haven't met many teachers who say, "I want my children to be unhealthy," "I'm going to put my children at risk," "I'd like them to have a horrendous time and fail at school," or "I'd like them to be negative and unemployed."

That made me laugh! Maybe if there was less legislation and more common sense, but more emphasis on training the workforce and supporting them then people would work better rather than getting bogged down and confused by paperwork.....?

Leapsters
21-01-2011, 11:59 AM
This is shocking... I do understand that ECM comes natural to most people, but what about those where a bit more explanation is needed. For example those in our profession that do not have their own children?

I wonder what happens next.

I've got my first graded inspection on Wednesday by Tribal. Really hope i've got everything covered...:panic:

The Juggler
21-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I knew CWDC was going

didn't know about ECM

whatever next Big Plan they come up with for children will surely have the same principles as the ECM - why rewrite it for heavens sake:panic: :panic: it's just an exercise in getting someone else to rewrite a well researched document and rebrand it:panic: :panic:

Pipsqueak
21-01-2011, 02:44 PM
totally agree Jugs.

I really cannot see how they are going to discard ECM when EVERYTHING is based upon it - safeguarding, EYFS and so on.

venus89
21-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Well has anybody checked up on this lately? It may just have been my tutor talking a load of old tosh. It has been known before - she's the one who called me a babysitter after all.....:rolleyes: