PDA

View Full Version : car seat dilema

boageymonster
12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
hi all,
im newly registered and have my first mindees starting in a few wk.I'm trying to get sorted and was just thinking about how im going to fit everyone in my car :panic:
I have a 7 seater galaxy no front passanger air bag and the middle seat only has a lap belt not 3 point seat belt.
my plan so far is have my 8 yr old son next to me at the front in his booster seat, 6 yr old dd at back in her backed booster ( the graco 4-11 yr old things not sure what they are called) with 6 yr old mindee next to her . 4 yr old dd behind me in same seat then my dilema is do i put my 9 yr old ds in the middle seat on his booster with lap belt, this is what i was advised to do in halfords :panic: and 3 yr old mindee in his 9months to 4 yr car seat ( one with 5 point harness) next to him?? or do i put ds in the seat with 3 point seat belt and 3 yr old mindee in the middle? i know the car seat ive been looking at says you can use just the lap belt but how safe is that??
what does everyone else do? has anyone used the 9 month to 4 yr car seats with just lap belt before?/

AliceK
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I bought a car seat (not a booster) that could be fitted with just a lap belt as in my opinion it is too dangerous to put a child in a seat with only a lapbelt. They are known to be really bad in an accident. I wouldn't put my own children in just a lapbelt so wouldn't do it for anyone elses either. Can you tell I'm very anti lapbelts :blush:

xxxxx

Louise0208
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
i woulnt do it either :panic:

clio0602
12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
If a childs seat says suitable for use with lap belt I would do it that way. It has to be safe and tested if it states this. I would never put a child in car just with a lapbelt on. I presume it is a car seat with 5pt harness being used with lapbelt tho??

caz3007
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
When I had my DS, already had two other children who were much older. We bought a car seat that was ok with just a lapbelt for youngest and it was fine, but you had to make sure it was pulled really tight and was stable enough. We used to check it every time we went out as it did sometimes work loose.

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I would never put a child in just a lapbelt, they are really dangerous. If your other seat says suitable with a lapbelt then use it.

We have one suitable with a lapbelt, we bought it from Halfords. When we were looking it was the only one they had, the guy pointed to a few others and said they were ok too. Hubby pulled the label out on one that said in big letters 'NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WITH LAPBELT' and the guy said 'oh they all said that, it doesnt mean anything' OMG!!!! We went for the one with the manufacturers label that said was ok, would never trust them again.

boageymonster
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
thanks for the replys, i have never put a child in a seat with just lap belt either i thought it seemed strange that halfords were reccomending i did this :angry:
the seat with the 5 point harness ive been looking at say suitble for use with lap belt so will give that a go i was a bit concerned how sturdy they would be iykwim. will go to mothercare i think see if they can reccomend the best one to get :)