PDA

View Full Version : cleaning teeth

TRACEY1969
12-01-2011, 08:32 AM
mom has asked me to start cleaning mindee's teeth (2 1/2 years old) Mom has tried at home but he doesn't like it, so she has asked me to do it after dinner. I don't mind doing it but i have 2 more mindees (16 month and 18 month old) to take care of as well. I said i would have to look into this before starting as i have to do a policy for this. Is not that i don't want to do it, it's because of the paperwork and to make sure the other children are safe while i clean mindee's teeth if other parents don't want the same thing. Does anyone else do this or have been asked by parents?

Mummits
12-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I wash my mindees' hands (or they wash their own) at the kitchen sink after lunch, precisely because we won't all fit in the bathroom at once and I can't keep an eye on them all if they go in one at a time. I wouldn't mind cleaning teeth at the sink too if parents were particularly keen that their child got into the habit of brushing after every meal, but I think it is wrong to expect you to take this on because they can't be bothered basically. I'd equate this to potty training - I'm quite happy to continue and support what they have established at home but I see it as the parents' role to get the ball rolling

It's not the sort of thing I'd have a policy for either. What would be the point? Do you have a hair brushing policy, a nose-blowing policy, a bottom wiping policy, a policy for trimming the odd raggy fingernail? Please say no!

TRACEY1969
12-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I wash my mindees' hands (or they wash their own) at the kitchen sink after lunch, precisely because we won't all fit in the bathroom at once and I can't keep an eye on them all if they go in one at a time. I wouldn't mind cleaning teeth at the sink too if parents were particularly keen that their child got into the habit of brushing after every meal, but I think it is wrong to expect you to take this on because they can't be bothered basically. I'd equate this to potty training - I'm quite happy to continue and support what they have established at home but I see it as the parents' role to get the ball rolling

It's not the sort of thing I'd have a policy for either. What would be the point? Do you have a hair brushing policy, a nose-blowing policy, a bottom wiping policy, a policy for trimming the odd raggy fingernail? Please say no!

i've been told i do need a policy for this they need there owen toothbrush, toothpaste and cup i also need to put in the policy that if i care for other mindees and they don't want there teeth cleaning how would i superviors them while in the bathroom.

tracey36
12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
i have a couple of childrens whos teeth i brush, or help them i dont have a policy for this though, i have a downstairs bathroom so its quite easy to keep an eye on the others at the same time.

Louise0208
12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
i have teeth cleaning in with my health & hygiene policy, which also includes, hand wash, nose blowing, toiletting (apart from potty training).

as an ex dental nurse im all for brushing teeth :clapping:

FussyElmo
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
All mine mindees have their own toothbrush here so they can brush their teeth after meals :thumbsup:

Zoomie
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
a couple things to consider about teeth cleaning, apart from the obvious.

believe you need to wait 20 mins after a meal before brushing - do you have time for this ?

i was asked to give breakfast and brush teeth, but we don't have time to do both in the morning and the school run, so we compromised and said breakfast at home and teeth at mine, but the reality is now they seem to do teeth at home too.

happytotschildminding
12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Could you do it with mindee sitting in highchair - might make life easier!
Carol
x

lisal5632
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I clean all my mindee's teeth, but my council provide me with a bag for every child in my house and tooth paste/ brushes are changed by them every 3 months. I have a Toothbrushing Policy so that after lunch we all go upstairs and brush our teeth. Some of the older children do it before they leave for school also. :)

singingcactus
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
All kids here get their own toothbrush and beaker and timer. It's sweet to see them all standing together brushing their teeth :). As soon as they can manage to try themselves without poking out their own eye, I just let them get on with it. It's just part of our routine, and has been for years now.