PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in buggies

Helcatt
11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
What are the "official" thoughts on this?

Are you "allowed" to lay them down in a buggy for their sleep? Do they mind that a baby might have a nap in a buggy at playgroup or should you really aim to let them sleep in a cot at home?

If a child needs a sleep and you know that you will have to take them on the school run, is it deemed better to settle them in the buggy so they can sleep as long as they need? Or better to settle them in the buggy and disturb later?

I know one minder who had Mrs O say that they didn't like the child being settled in the buggy- even though baby would sleep no-where else and mum has signed permissions too

HX

Noomie
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
A couple of mates children only sleep during the day in their buggies. What else do you do? I have twin 3 year olds, my DD (2yr) and now a 9 month old baby. The LO fell asleep on way to soft play centre. We transferred him to buggy when we got there from car seat. Lying flat. Should we have come home? The 3 year olds and DD would have been gutted as they love it there. With 2 naps a day, we would never go anywhere!!!

Beetlejuice
11-01-2011, 10:59 PM
One of my children will only sleep in a buggy. I've tried the travel cot but she just won't go in it. Mum is happy with it and I've put something about it in my policies (somewhere!) that children will either sleep in a travel cot or lie-flat buggy.

Penny1959
12-01-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't know about 'offical guidelines' - I always discuss with parents and explain about falling asleep on journeys and try to follow their wishes.

All my parents say they don't mind where their child sleeps - as long as safe and comfortable.

As one of mine had a sleep in a lie back pushchair (lies totally flat) during my inspection and I got outstanding - I am guessing that ok in the eyes of Ofsted.

However I am aware of the concerns about sleeping babies in pushchairs that do not lie flat and in those first car seats - and so limit that to just occassions when they fall asleep while out.

Penny :)

mushpea
12-01-2011, 07:00 AM
mine all sleep in buggys and if we come back from a walk and its a nice day i leave in them in the garden to finish their nap,,, they are still all wrapped up nice and warm so its no different to when you are out walking and if i bring them in i have to uncover them so they dont get hot which wakes them up.

mufftie
12-01-2011, 07:14 AM
i put mine down in travel cots but if they fall asleep in a pram then so be it , my youngest baby's mum said the nursery that she works in puts their babies to sleep outside in all weathers in pushchairs , i was horriffied to hear this but apparantly ofsted love it

tracey36
12-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Usually if a child falls asleep why im out and about ill leave them to sleep in the pushchair but at home i use a travel cot, but if a child has fallen asleep when i get home i tend to leave them in there rather than disturb them, all depends on situation really and what parents are happy with.

Louise0208
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
all my kids slept in there buggies during the day, but only if they were comfy lie flat ones, i hate to see toddlers sat bolt upright in a fixed seat buggy trying to sleep! :angry:

i dont like to see babies in car seats all the time too....but im the sort that likes to used big silver cross 'proper' prams. :thumbsup:

singingcactus
12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm unsure about this one too. My little one sleeps in the buggy (lie flat) or on a mat on the floor. I'm not a fan of travel cots, and I've yet to look after a child that will settle, for me, in one. I usually hold little people till they fall asleep and then place them on their mat on the floor, and bigger ones will lie on their mat if they want a nap.
I'm a bit unsure how ofsted will feel about me not having a travel cot, but I just don't like them. Most of them are only sold for up to 14kg anyway and like I said I rock smaller infants to sleep.

mrs_scottydog
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
My mindee would only sleep in his buggy when I first looked after him. By the end of the 2nd week I asked his parents not to bring his buggy (they only brought it for him to sleep in) and within a couple of days he slept in the travel cot. a couple of weeks later and he no longer has a sleep while he's with me, he's only here until 1pm and has his sleep when he gets home.
My DS sleeps in his cot unless we've been out and he's fallen asleep in the buggy, then I leave him in there until he wakes up. (Can only do this if using the single buggy though as double doesn't fit through my front door when it's up.)
Not sure about any official guidelines though. Hx

candy cat
12-01-2011, 10:51 AM
My 6mth mindee was in a bouncy chair when Mrs o was here....I explained that he just won't settle anywhere else......I told her I can't be upstairs settling him for ages when my 2 yr old is alone downstairs...... I told her my next step was the pushchair then the cot and she was absolutely fine with that.BUT this was my mrs o and everyone of them are inconsistant! lol

arly
12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
My 1 year old will only sleep in a buggy as thats what she has been used to so I just made a permission slip up for mum to sign. :)

Helen79
12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
My 6mth mindee was in a bouncy chair when Mrs o was here....I explained that he just won't settle anywhere else......I told her I can't be upstairs settling him for ages when my 2 yr old is alone downstairs...... I told her my next step was the pushchair then the cot and she was absolutely fine with that.BUT this was my mrs o and everyone of them are inconsistant

This is what I usually tend to do aswell. very littlies sleep in the bouncy chair that lies flat so I can bounce them to sleep in living room then pop the chair in the bedroom once their asleep. Once their too big for the chair I either rock them to sleep in the buggy or they go in the travel cot if they're happy to fall asleep by themselves.
If they sleep for a very long time then I'll transfer them into the cot once their asleep but if they only have a short nap then I leave them to sleep in the buggy.

If I know I have to go out on the school run then they go to sleep in the buggy so I don't have to disturb them.

~Chelle~
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
All of my mindees sleep in a buggy. Mrs O was fine with this :thumbsup:

Helcatt
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Its so hard when Mrs O is so inconsistent

I do wonder how much was to do with the woman I know being a stroppy mare and not being very welcoming to Mrs O in the first place.

There is no way I would go anywhere if I fitted my day around being in for nap time and today,m we stayed out all day as both of the ones today have dropped their daytime nap completely

Hard going some days! And driving back to the school my DD did fall asleep and she is now sitting upstairs shouting as she doesn't want to sleep yet!

Sorry for off topic rant there

HX