PDA

View Full Version : Health and Safety AGAIN!!!

SonnysMummy
16-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Ladies please help me!!! I still don not know what to do with my damn washing line:panic: :D
It's a long one straight across the garden. I know the risk is strangulation and to be honest this really concerns me as a few years back a friend of my little brother did this when he was about 10. It was very sad.
I just don't know what to do for the best and i feel like a right prat stressing over a washing line!!!
I'm sure i will need to use it while minding children. Washing will need to be dried and so it will be in use while they play in the garden.
What can i do to make it safe?

Kelly:)

fionamal
16-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I took mine down and put up a whirly.

That saved any problems and when im not using it it has to be folded down and covered.

LittleMissSparkles
16-04-2008, 08:53 PM
if it is high enough it wouldnt be a problem .... never thought about it thought to be honest with you xxxx

Blaze
16-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry I can't help as I don't have a washing line!
Blaze:)

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I've never really thought about it either. Mines too high for any young children to get to anyway.

tulip0803
16-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I have to stand on tiptoes to reach mine - I think my DH thinks it's funny to see me jumping to catch it.

I can understand worrying about the washing line - not as serious as Kelly's but when I was 9 and visiting someone I ran into a taut washing line that was at the height of my mouth. Nearly knocked my teeth out severe cuts inside my mouth and tongue and 4 hours in casualty:( .

In England I had a rotary that could be taken out and put away. Here the line is across the drive and 6ft in the air. The children's play area is on the lawn fenced off. Having said that I would say to OFSTED/CSSIW that supervision is always used when children are in the garden.

Pipsqueak
16-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Have you a prop so it can be pushed higher into the air.

prepare your risk assessment, you are aware of the risk and you will be supervising blah blah

TBH that is all you can really do. Your washing line can come in handy for so many things as well - hanging paintings on to dry, tied-apple bobbing games and similar (zip cord for Action Man/Barbie), hanging things of like mirrors etc....

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Unless the children are going to get a ladder and climb up it and dangle from it I honestly can not see a problem

If its anything like my washing line I can only just about reach it myself

So unless its dragging on the floor or the above I am sure it is safe

Once again its a question of common sense so dont panic

Angel xx

miffy
17-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I use a rotary drier but like the others say as long as it is high up you show you are aware of the risks and children are always supervised you should be fine

miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
23-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree with suggestions above. Years ago when we were inspected with S/S we as Childminders were recommended to have a washing line the could be raised and not have a Whirly !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: No wonder I get confused .:laughing:

Alibali
23-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a retractable line, so it is away when not in use, and when in use I use long props to raise it high.

Ali :)

avril
23-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Another local childminder had her inspection and ofsted were fine that she used a prop that pushed the line way up in the air!

Avril x:)

SonnysMummy
23-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I bought a retractable washing line so i'm happy with that now and i mentioned it to Ofsted and she seemed fine with it.

Kelly:)

nannan
23-04-2008, 08:47 PM
like as been said as long as you are aware of the risks and let ofsted know that, everything should be ok, i have a rotary line and put it away when its not in use, but the children dont play up near the line anyway.