PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Angela234
17-12-2007, 10:17 PM
What would you do? Another minder is going on materity leave around March she has a 13 month 2 full days a week whoe's Mum is looking for someone to take over his childcare at present i could do it. But one of my Mums who i have had for 3 years is looking for extra hours end of May untill beg July (start of her school hols shes a teacher in private school) then Sept untill Christmas so she can cover a member of staff for maternity leave this will be for 1 day a week one of the days for the little boy so on that day i would have
2 age 18 months
1 age 2 1/2
1 age 4 year old (ages in May)
In Sept the 4 year old starts full time school so i will be ok with my numbers

Will Ofsted give me a variation for i full day it would only be for about 5-6 weeks but if i take on this little boy in March then can't get variation in May my Mum will be stuck

What would you do? Hope this makes sense.

Angela

Lou
17-12-2007, 10:25 PM
i was a little confused but if you want to do it then i would go for it and apply for a variation nice and early with full details of names, ages, times of attendance etc, along with how you will meet alll needs of children.

If i have understood it right, you need to take on the new child first then apply for the variation for current child and they will more than likely allow it as it will be continuity of care.

Anyway good luck, keep us posted.

Lou.

p.s hope that all makes sense, im a bit tired lol

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I think I understand that ha

I would contact Ofsted and see what they say

Good luck

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
17-12-2007, 10:30 PM
i was a little confused but if you want to do it then i would go for it and apply for a variation nice and early with full details of names, ages, times of attendance etc, along with how you will meet alll needs of children.

If i have understood it right, you need to take on the new child first then apply for the variation for current child and they will more than likely allow it as it will be continuity of care.

Anyway good luck, keep us posted.

Lou.

p.s hope that all makes sense, im a bit tired lol

agree with lou!!

Emma

mrsbumbles
18-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes contact ofsted, they take each request on its own merits and will grant the request if they feel its justified , give it ago and see.

susi513
18-12-2007, 10:18 AM
The above posts are correct. Ofsted don't have the authority to issue a variation except for "continuity of care" or for a new sibling of an existing mindee.

If they think that you need the variation to take on the new mindee they will most likely refuse. You'll have a much better chance if you can explain that having filled your vacancy with the temporary mindee an existing parent has now asked to increase their hours - so its clear the variation is needed to ensure the continuity of care of the long-term mindee. So you need to take care how you word your letter.

Be sure to include names & dates of births of children attending and the dates & times you will need to be over numbers. I also like to mention that I've spoken to all the parents of mindees who will be attending during the proposed times of being over numbers and that they are all happy with the proposal. Also that I am confident that the proposed arrangement would not compromise the care of any mindees present.

I was in a similar position a while back - I told both sets of parents that I hoped to accommodate both their needs but would be unable to sign contract until I received variation certificate from Ofsted. Had 3 variations so far, must be doing something right :)

Good Luck

Angela234
18-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone i have had 2 variations in the past was just concerned about taking on new one then couldn't do the extra day for Mum.

Things might be changing i.ve had another enquiry today from another teacher from the same school as above Mum, wantng childcare in March at first i said i was full untill Sept she's willing to wait untill Sept says she will get family to help out as she really wants me has had great recomendation from other Mums at school. Doesn't it make you feel good when they say that. I think her hours in September will suit me better She wants to come and see me in the new year and i will be able to do my Mums extra hours.

Thanks again for your advice

Angela

Sarsar3NCH
20-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Sounds like it could be a great result all round, although Ofsted would be likely to agree to a variation on 'continuity of care grounds'.

It really does make you feel good when you get a reccomendation like that, especially if they are willing to wait a few months too.

Well done xxx

jmoff
20-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree with Susi...

Well done, you must so happy especially when that comes from a teacher!
Jana