PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility losing money

munch149
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Help! I have a mum who wants to do 16 hours a weeks but requires
Me to be totally flexible as her hours change from week to week. If I take her on I can't take on anyone full time so will be doing 16hrs instead of 50 and losing all those extra hours i could fill, so losing alot of money. Can I charge her more and how much is reasonable as can't expect her to pay for a 50hr week.

butterfly
11-01-2011, 08:23 PM
If she wants you to be available at any time throughout your 50 hour working week then she should pay for 50 hrs!

Carol M
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
If total flexibility is required then I would be charging for the full time place or if I was happy to do so I would negotiate some sort of reduction of fees for the hours not used, say 50%. Or offer an "as can do" contract and only charge for the hours used but no guarentee that place would be available when needed.
Difficult one.
Carol xx

crazyhazy
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I had a similar situation but knew I only had a vacancy available from sept till march so wouldn't be filling it with anyone else so agreed to take it on. I basically have a guarantee of £65 per week min then anything extra is paid on top of that, some weeks like the one before xmas I only had mindee one day which was £33 but still got paid £65, other weeks like last wek I had her a little more so was paid £75. I think it depends how many spaces you have available and how desperate you are for work, I only have one under 5 space but had no work at all at the time so was willing to take it on until my other mindee I'd lined up could start. I also don't keep all days available, have always had another mindee on a monday and recently she has increased to tue as well so currently the £65 covers my availability wed, thur, fri and sat.

Bear23
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Help! I have a mum who wants to do 16 hours a weeks but requires
Me to be totally flexible as her hours change from week to week. If I take her on I can't take on anyone full time so will be doing 16hrs instead of 50 and losing all those extra hours i could fill, so losing alot of money. Can I charge her more and how much is reasonable as can't expect her to pay for a 50hr week.

can you not put a minimum on it?

mufftie
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
i have a contract that is flexible i took it on 4 years ago when i really neaded the work but now i regret it as i have 2 rely on my assistant being available to allow her 2 have the place , so tbh i probably wouldn do flexible again unless i got a good amount of minimum hours garanteed

breezy
11-01-2011, 09:09 PM
You need to set a minimum amount that you're happy with

Vickster
11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes you need to set a minimum if you feel aggrieved. I have this for two girls, a pre-schooler and a schoolie, but it suits me at the moment and the youngest will start school in September, so I don't charge a minimum. It suits me as I have just started and don't want a full time job at the moment as I have an 18 month old daughter.

claire'scherubs
11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I recently did this to help out a single mum, and boy do I regret it. I have to rely on my assistant to help and therefore it is not beneficially viable.

I am seriously thinking about terminating the contract, not just for the financial side of things but other behavioural issues too

munch149
31-01-2011, 08:38 PM
thanks for your help. i set a minimum and was very reasonable but had alot of grief back including being called greedy, so probably had a lucky escape.

Minstrel
31-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Ooooo I wonder if you live near me? :D

I had a major issue last year with somehting similar... :rolleyes:

munch149
02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
is possible even if you dont as person recently moved into area. think she was having trouble finding care and as i was newly registered beleived i would be desperate for the kids

Minstrel
02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm going to PM you as I know this parent moved!

suzyblue
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm going to PM you as I know this parent moved!

WHAT ABOUT US?!!!!!!
Post update in the members bit :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I would charge £8 to £10 per hour for the flexibilty she requires, witha minimum charge of 16 hours.

Minstrel
03-02-2011, 10:03 AM
WHAT ABOUT US?!!!!!!
Post update in the members bit :thumbsup:

I've had no reply to my PM so maybe she doesn't want to divulge!

jane5
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
thanks for your help. i set a minimum and was very reasonable but had alot of grief back including being called greedy, so probably had a lucky escape.

Wow i think you did had a lucky escape, I had one mum on a visit telling me that ex bf wanted to pick up lo 2 hours early, 1 afternoon a week whilst he was with me.
She said to him no because I'm not paying for child care that I'm not getting :eek: alarm bells started ringing and I thought she's going to be trouble.
Luckily another parent came that afternoon and filled the place so I didnt have to deal with her.

I have learnt from this forum to trust your instincts and not bend over backwards for parents because you will probably end up regretting it.

angeldelight
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Thats the problem sometimes - some want something for nothing

Sounds like you did have a lucky escape

Hope something good comes along soon

Angel xx