PDA

View Full Version : help with feeding please

gegele
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
i have a 1yr old little boy who has been experiencing weird weaning.

he was breastfed until he came round to mineat 9months, i text mum to ask which temperature lo liked his milk she answered i don't know never had any...:eek: :eek:

any how he went onto solid other that yoghurt in my house....

he use to scream all along of the meal but still happily open his mouth for more food...
then it went all ok

now i said to mum that at his age hecould be on normalfood not jar food..guess it I'm starting hot meals...

he's a good eater when he start eating...BUT he refused to put food in his mouth if he doesn't know it.

so i have to "sneak" food in his mouth when is crying so he gets the taste and then he start to eat and he happy to ????:eek: :eek:

my problem is that it look wrong and feels wrong but i have tried to sit him at table with usand give him his spoon, leave him to it so he can do it on own time or with fingers...NOTHING!!!

i don't know what to do next!!

acorns
11-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Have you tried introducing a very small amount of a new food with one that you know he likes, so he is more likely to try it and get used ot the taste of the new food. Borrow an Annabel Karmel book from the library - loads of weaning tips in there- have you discused with mum how he is at home & what she does & what foods she offers?

crazyhazy
11-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Had mum not started weaning him at all before he came to you then? What does he eat for mum at home now? I'd be tempted to just keep offering finger foods and he'll surely try them eventually, my two were weaned straight to finger foods through baby led weaning although they were 6m when we started, they didn't really eat much until about 9/10m though.

Helen79
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I'd ask mum what she does at home and go from there.
We eat our snacks at the coffee table in the living room and meals at the kitchen table. One mindee eats lots more at snack time as he's more relaxed, he's more of a grazer than a big meal eater. I make sure he has a good range of snack foods so he's not missing out and to make sure he eats enough.
If he cries at the table, maybe he'd prefer a picnic lunch on a blanket on the floor with finger foods to try.

Messy food play is good for toddlers who have had a limited experience of new foods and textures. Playing with cornflakes, jelly etc can encourage them to get used to new textures without the pressure of having to eat them.

gegele
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Messy food play is good for toddlers who have had a limited experience of new foods and textures. Playing with cornflakes, jelly etc can encourage them to get used to new textures without the pressure of having to eat them.

he's not keen on sensory stuff,

weirdly enough he puts every in his mouth but food LOL

mum says that he does same at home and she has to manage to put her finger with a bit of food in his mouth to give him the taste then he realise it's nice food and he change behaviour instantly

i suppose i will just have to persevere.

mum gave him things like cheese on toast or jam on toast as he has big lunches arund mine.:rolleyes:
but i know that he probably nibble the other days all the time.

i can't allow one to eat on foor and then fight with my DS to stay at the table!

we do snack everywhere LOl, in make shift tent...BUT lunch is at the table. we do have cooked meal at lunch and dinner.

i'll see how it goes thanks for replies.

Penny1959
12-01-2011, 04:01 AM
I agree with the some of the other posters - give him finger foods so he can do it in his own time. I would just give him whatever you are having as finger food whenever possible - so if meat and 3 veg - I would give him both raw and cooked veg of the day - if sausage and mash, just cut into small pieces and leave in front of him to try but would only put a little bit on his plate / highchair tray at a time, so he is not overwhelmed by it.

Sometimes it can work if you sit at table with your meal and in front of him cut bits from your own meal (before you start eating it ) and put on his tray as some children have more confidence to eat food that they know is on your plate.

I would continue sitting him at the table with you and own child but not make a fuss about the food and lack of eating.

He will eat when he is ready to.

Penny :)

mufftie
12-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Had mum not started weaning him at all before he came to you then? What does he eat for mum at home now? I'd be tempted to just keep offering finger foods and he'll surely try them eventually, my two were weaned straight to finger foods through baby led weaning although they were 6m when we started, they didn't really eat much until about 9/10m though.

ive got a 7 month old on this baby led weaning , i was dubious at first but followed mums requests and to be fair its fab , baby knows exactly what to do with the chuncks of food :thumbsup: its amazing to watch