PDA

View Full Version : Headlice advice !

DAWN44
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Really could do with some advice, if you dont mind.

Basically I registered in december 10, and have not had any enquiries so far.

However I have had a call today, which I was pleased about, just before school but its a start.

The problem is I am friends with a few of the local childminders, 2 have minded this child before. Both gave child up due to mindee having headlice constantly and parents never treating.

Really struggling financially at moment so realistically need money. I am happy to mind and judge for myself.

Just wanted your opinions on what you would do.

babs
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
i wouldn't let this put me off taking in a child, head lice are common and some kids do get them over and over ... if you take on this child 1st time they get them discuss with parents. if they don't treat ask if they mind you doing it .... i have a policy that states i am willing to treat so if a child comes to me and they have head lice i ring parents let them know and say i can treat if they require me to telling them to reimburse the cost when they get here if not they deal once they are home. this is all discussed when they sign up

Louise0208
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
i agree.

sometimes its not because a parent doesnt treat a child, my daughter is one of those kids that constantly has them, no matter how many times a week we lotion & potion.....in fact iv just finished doing it again! :rolleyes: im sure she spends all day at school rubbing heads!

Bridey
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
The best and safest way to get rid of head lice is the condition and comb method. Every two days to begin with until no more show, I would then spend a month doing it weekly when you've think they've gone and then at least once a fortnight thereafter to check that the child hasn't caught them again.

If you feel that the child has them and the parents aren't doing anything about it then I would seek permission to do it yourself. If they don't allow this then I would consider handing my notice in with a letter explaining the reason why.

Louise0208
11-01-2011, 06:32 PM
her hair is really thin, the eggs just go through the comb teeth (the thinnest one i have found is the full marks comb)

im scratching now :laughing:

Bridey
11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
her hair is really thin, the eggs just go through the comb teeth (the thinnest one i have found is the full marks comb)

im scratching now :laughing:

Me too lol

The combing often doesn't remove the eggs (thats painful anyway). You just have to keep conditioning and combing as the eggs hatch. If you do this daily then the lice don't have time to mature and lay more eggs. Eventually you will get rid of them.

miffy
11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't let that put me off but it would depend on whether the parents were agreeable to treating her themselves or allowing me to do it.

Miffy xx

babs
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
buy one of theses bets thing i did got my niece on too....( well she pinched my free one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitty-Gritty...4771115&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitty-Gritty...4771115&sr=8-1)

Louise0208
11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks

Just bought one :thumbsup:

DAWN44
11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Thank You for all your replies.

I will meet mum and mindee and hopefully have a child to mind at last :clapping:

miffy
11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
buy one of theses bets thing i did got my niece on too....( well she pinched my free one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitty-Gritty-Nit-Comb-1/dp/B001PML6Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294771115&sr=8-1

We got one of those as a free sample a while ago.

Found this link, might be worth asking GP

http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/site/howtogetaprescription.asp

Miffy xx

tracey36
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
there was a link on here in the free stuff section to get a nitty gritty comb for free i ordered mine they are fab, personally i wouldnt be put off either you could get some leaflets on how to treat and pass on to parents or get permission off them to treat them yourself i have done that in the past as i had a child constantly getting them wasnt the parents fault though they did try but he just kept getting them so discussed with parents about treating him which they were fine with just a case of keeping on top of it really

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Neem Oil worked on my ds, he was coming home from school with them every day. Its really cheap and an essential oil, I got it on ebay. Downside is it stinks! I would do it on Friday night so you can wash hair a couple of times over the weekend. You can google it and theres a fair bit of info.

Personally I would meet the family and decide for myself. But I would make sure I had a 4 week period where I could terminate contract without notice.

Twinklestars
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
You can get the nitty gritty comb free on prescription if you have any children of your own - i got a prescription from my Health visitor for my son

xdirtydancerx
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
i agree.

sometimes its not because a parent doesnt treat a child, my daughter is one of those kids that constantly has them, no matter how many times a week we lotion & potion.....in fact iv just finished doing it again! :rolleyes: im sure she spends all day at school rubbing heads!

Omg! So pleased it's not just me who has this problem lol. I've stopped using lotions and potions now. I just condition and comb with a lice comb. When I am happy all eggs and lice are out I will set my daughter free from the bathroom :p Usually we are rid for 3-5 weeks then she comes home with them again. Had to stop buying special products as it was costing a fortune