PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Inspections

Pipsqueak
11-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Ok - we all strive to get the best grading we possibly can.
Sometimes for a variety of reasons we don't achieve what we feel we deserve (I still feel robbed! lol).

Given that Satisfactory means you are meeting requirements and that is what is needed to do this job.

Given that miscarriages can occur (I know a minder - same grading as me :mad: however she is an awful minder and has had three complaints about her and she has admitted that she 'faked' her inspection)

how much faith should parents put in these reports. this goes not just for minders but obviously schools and others settings.

what would YOU advise a parent to be looking for in a setting? Its not just about the grading or report, its not just about qualifications or experience is it. to me its a whole package thing but the key is - do I connect with this person. If they were outstanding and I didn't connect with them (or my child didn't- then I wouldn't use them)

(I do not mean this to be detrimental to anyones hard work and their wonderful dedication in providing a sterling service)

Blaze
11-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I always advise parents to go & look at other settings...yes, to look at OFSTED reports, qualifiactions etc...but above all to go with their gut instinct & who they think they will get along with & be best for their child (obviously I don't mean un-registered care)...the bottom line is we have to work closely in partnership, so we all need to feel comfortable...I may be the best CM in the whole wide world, but that doesn't mean that I'm the right form of childcare / or CM for all families / children (pretty much quote, unquote of my parent speech LOL)!:D

Bear23
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
well my point of view for what its worth :blush:

I think the fact we know, near enough when they are coming is wrong, I think the fact we are inspected once every three years or so is wrong.

I know theres a lot of cm's... i know ofsted or whoever it is now are busy, i think we should be inspected like spot checks, if we're out move on to the next one and come back another day.

I know a childminder who got outstanding, who worked there butt of right up to inspection date, and has done next to nothing since.

I mean come on, I know alot of us work hard all the time and keep on top of things, but there are those that do slack off. If I'm honest I slacked off paperwork after my inspection for a week or two, we all do.

Same with schools, our school looked beautiful on inspection week, wind chimes up, material around gates, green houses out, that haven't been seen since :rolleyes:

anyway thats my view. As a parent wasn't that bothered about grades etc, just the feeling I got from the person x

Playmate
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I always advise parents to go & look at other settings...yes, to look at OFSTED reports, qualifiactions etc...but above all to go with their gut instinct & who they think they will get along with & be best for their child (obviously I don't mean un-registered care)...the bottom line is we have to work closely in partnership, so we all need to feel comfortable...I may be the best CM in the whole wide world, but that doesn't mean that I'm the right form of childcare / or CM for all families / children (pretty much quote, unquote of my parent speech LOL)!:D

We are the same, always recomend they look around and explain to them that this is one of the most important decisions they will make and the hardest. We use our Outstanding grading as a selling point (who wouldn't :D ) but we are not right for everyone and not everyone is right for us!

Bananabrain
11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Totally agree with what's been said. I always advise people to go and see as many childminders as poss [my hubby says that's a daft thing to do]
From my experience, and certainly in my area, I would say don't be fooled by a big posh house! It doesn't necessarily mean a good minder.
[Can you tell I only have a little, slightly tatty house?]:laughing:
I know many childminders that run around like loonies before Ofsted are due.I even know some that tell blatant lies. I'd like to say that it doesn't bother me..................but I'd be lying.

sarah707
11-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I think it's about the bond you feel between the minder and the child and your family.

If you don't like the minder's way of working and you don't get a good feeling from the house, other children, minder's family etc then you should look elsewhere :D

PixiePetal
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM

totally agree.

I have been good, then satisfactory and now outstanding - nothing much has changed except paperwork! I am still me and if I click with a family it is going to work - gut instinct means a lot - and it works both ways too!

I think I got the outstanding too because I clicked with the inspector - she could totally see where I was coming from, it was not all show. I was comfortable during the inspection and opened up well, answering all questions and being ME.

That is also what parents get when they visit - honesty and a smiley face :) They are not always bothered about the grade as long as we are registered then they know we are safe - gut instinct again.

As a nanny (unqualified) I got one job in preference to a qualified girl who had it all on paper but they could tell just didn't have 'it' and could tell we would click and it would work. I stayed 5 years and the daughter was my bridesmaid :)

linda2girls
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I am full at the moment (started in September 2010). Emailed parents in October to say I had been inspected and I would email them a link to my Ofsted report once it was online. Ofsted took ages to put it online and to be honest it's only your post that has reminded me that I need to send them the link.

No-one that has visited has asked to see my Ofsted report, so I guess parents are just going on how they feel after talking to me, my paperwork and the information I give them, and the look and feel of the setting.

Linda.

Trouble
11-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I think it should go on how well you and the childminder gel its a gut feeling not a grade

you can walk into someones house and know straight away what it says about that person and if you see a sample of there work it will tell you the rest

SYLVIA
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I tell parents to look at other settings too as their position may be more convenient, etc. I am aware of at least 3 minders in my area that got outstanding that managed to pull the wool of the inspectors eyes and openly admit it, which really isn't fair on the ones who really DO work hard and deserve their grade. Gut instinct is the best thing to go on. Out of all the parents I have worked with since reports were put on line, only 1 has ever looked at mine. And I think thats bcause their friends cm got outstanding and they were comparing

Helcatt
11-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I always say its about gut instinct too.

I always suggest that they visit as many other settings as they can to compare

I think so many people rely on the reports and they can be so false! There are so many who lie their way through the inspection and it is the personal view of the inspector. I do think whether you gel with the inspector or not does have an impact

HX

Penny1959
12-01-2011, 04:30 AM
I always tell parents to look at all other options including nurseries and a nanny option. I tell them about the advantages of using a childminder.

But explain that they need to be able to get on with the person who is going to care for their child and to agree on the most important things - therefore if home cooked meals are important don't use a setting that only does packed lunches, if parent has a personal fear of dogs / ponds etc don't use someone who has these things and so on.

I also say that they should be able to tell before looking at the paperwork - that paperwork should back up what they see in action.

Penny :)

PS although delighted with my Outstanding - I do not bother too much about my grade or that of others - it is just a judgement of one person on one day - and the person making the judgement can sometimes make the wrong decision, I know many'Good' childminders who in fact have outstanding practice - in my opinion and others who are judged as outstanding and with whom I would not choose to leave a child with because in my opinion their every day practice does not match their paperwork