PDA

View Full Version : shape planning ideas please

angiemog
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I have some ideas of activities and just wondered if anyone has anymore. My mindees are mainly 2 years.

So far I have,

Watch something special episode on shapes.
Find shapes books at the library
Do shape crafts (face, house and boat) ideas from something special
Go for a walk and look for different shapes
Play shape game (orchard)
do shape puzzles
use play dough to cut shapes
make/decorate shape cookies

I haven't linked them yet to areas of learning but will do when I have a few more mins.
Thanks in advance

mrs coops
11-01-2011, 02:20 PM
do you have a poundland near you? i found a brill hardback childs book on shapes from here also mothercare do shapes that you can thread onto shoelaces which mine love. I also save packaging from cereal boxs and tea bag boxs and ask them to tell me what shape they think they are hth :) xxxxx

butterfly
11-01-2011, 02:45 PM
shape puzzles, shape sorters (i bought a great one on ebay for only £2 with some more exciting shapes), running game - they run and touch a large cut out shape when you call it out - look for shapes in books, different shapes mirrors for heuristic play, feel the shape game - put 2d and 3d shapes in a bag/box and get children to put their hand in and feel and guess which shape it is! building with different shape blocks, matching shapes, finding the same shapes.

I went on some PSRN training recently and they were at pains to say that we shouldn't worry so much about asking children to name the shapes but it's much more important for children to describe the shapes - edges, corners, curved, straight - using lots of vocab

miffy
11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I bought this from the ELC on Saturday (also do alphabet and numbers)

http://www.elc.co.uk/Touch-and-Feel-Colour-Shape-Cards/122878,default,pd.html

Miffy xx

miffy
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Have a look at this thread too

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73541

Miffy xx

solly
11-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I did shapes as a theme last year i have still got it as powerpoint. If you pm me your email address i will email it to you:)

Twinkles
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
How about potato printing ?

Cut shapes into half a potato and paint , then print the shapes.
Always popular in my house.

angiemog
14-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help everybody, much appreciated. xx

jax clinch
16-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I am doing shapes with mine. We had a circle week last week, painting, printing cirles. we went on a circle hunt and took photos. This week we are going to do potato printing, printing with objects from around the house which are cirlce in shape, (my 3 year olds are going to sort the shapes first) and making cirlces in shaving foam/goo/rice etc. When we have completed these activities we will do activities for different shapes - maybe make a shape mobile, give them a variety of sticky shapes to sort, make a picture just using one shape. Have fun :clapping:

venus89
16-01-2011, 09:29 PM
We're also doing shapes and did squares last week...... I cut lots of different sized squares out of paper and we made pictures out of them - house, animals, robots.... I posted a link to a website which had some good shapes printouts, joining the dots for older children and 'this is a square, find two more' stuff