PDA

View Full Version : My 20 day countdown...

LucyatMCM
11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
If you've read my posts you'll know that I am a new Mummy of 8 1/2 months desperate to become a childminder so that I don't have to leave her and go back to work.

I've got 20 days left before the end of the month when I will have to call my boss and say "Can I come back part time please?"

So I thought I would start a post, everyone on here has been so friendly. I didn't think you mind if I shared my last ditch attempts to find some clients.

To recap... I qualified at the end of October, it took the full 12wks! I've had one person visit who never called back and two people who have sounded really enthusiastic on the phone and then cancelled their visits because they've decided to give up work or give their current arrangement another go. And that's not mentioning any of the time wasters or people who mistook my number for a taxi firm!

I've done a lot of advertising. See this post... (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69980)

Anyway, yesterday was my latest no show appointment and I was pretty upset but I have had a new enquiry this morning for a 15 month old. He and his mum are coming to see me on Friday morning. Finger's crossed.

Today's dilema...But she really wants me to do meals and I wasn't going to do that. I guess I should consider it? She says he's not a fussy eater would a 15MO eat what my baby has, which is basically our meals (i.e. casseroles) but whizzed up and scrambled eggs, toast, pancakes, baby rice. I didn't want to do food because I don't want to end up cooking multiple choices for fussy easters. I guess the way around this is to charge extra and give the parents the choice, my food or your food?

Thanks peeps x

sweets
11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
hi a 15month old should be easy to feed, ive always preferred providing food as its easier if everyones having the same and you know what they are having.
i take likes and dislikes into consideration but refuse to make separate meals for fussy eaters.

at 15months they should just eat normal food mashed up a bit, casserole food if great as well as snack foods like sandwiches and eggs.

good luck :thumbsup:

LucyatMCM
11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Sweets. Do you charge extra for food or is it included?

sarah707
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I include food in my prices.

The children have input into the menu so we can meet their changing likes and dislikes every season.

We feed up to 7 a night plus my 2 plus adults.

Like tonight... we all had fish, veg and potatoes but one had sweetcorn instead of peas and one had a different type of potato...

If the veggie had been here he would have had a Quorn thingy with his potatoes and probably sweetcorn as he doesn't much like peas.

It's about being flexible but at the same time watching the budget doesn't go silly.

Hth :D

LucyatMCM
12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
19 days...
Had a good day. Bought a hammer and peg block toy for my Friday visitor, who according to his mum likes to bash things! Charity shop bargain at £1!

A childminder who I've befriended with me just called to say that another childminder wants to pass my details on to an enquirer she's had. I said "YES! Please do!"

It's twin boys but their mum must work shifts because she wants mornings one week, afternoons the next. Obviously I wouldn't be able to take any more under 5s but they wouldn't actually be paying full time. What would you charge them?! Thanks x

Ripeberry
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow, you're getting enquiries thick and fast in your area :thumbsup: I would provide meals and not charge seperately for them. I provide meals but then put it down as an expense in the accounts book.

AliceK
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a 17mth old and she has been eating normal food for ages now. She's a really good eater, there's not much she doesn't like. I give her whatever eveyone else is having and she has always fed herself, she just sits and shovels it all in :laughing: .
I offer food within my prices and will do tea for anyone here up until 5.30 or later.

Good luck

xxxx

LucyatMCM
14-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Day 17...

I don't believe. This morning's visit has been cancelled too! They should be coming on Monday. Only postponed because they are both poorly. Starting to feel a bit frustrated though! Guess I'll leave the toys and stuff out all weekend and at least I'll have Sunday to put the hoover round!

LucyatMCM
18-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Day 13

So I still haven't had anyone round. This is getting a bit ridiculous. The lady who was supposed to come Friday rearranged for Monday and then cancelled again saying they were feeling no better, she's sorry for messing me around and she'll rearrange when they have recovered. I'm wondering now whether they are genuine.

Hey ho, I now have five possible clients but they've all yet to visit and as you see I am running our of time...

miffy
18-01-2011, 09:45 PM
How frustrating for you - but hang on in there - you know there's work around and I'm sure something will get sorted soon!

Miffy xx

LucyatMCM
20-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Day 11

I've actually lost count now of how many enquiries I've had since Christmas. I do have them all written down though!

The person who was coming tomorrow is not anymore as child is ill.

The person who was supposed to come a fortnight ago but changed their mind an hour before has changed her mind and says she would like to have a look round after all.

And the person who cancelled on Monday because they were sick and said that they would get back to me has not...

Are people always this flighty?!

keeks
20-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Lucy, I know I am really fortunate to be in a high demand area, but just want to say hang in there, there are nice people out there who are looking for the right childminder.

I understand your concerns about food, I started by saying I would provide at a charge of £2 per meal. Some parents want me to, some don't. Now I get really stressed out preparing meals. I also get stressed when my 1 year old doesn't like the food! So now the parents have agreed to send in packed lunches instead. Phew! :o

If you are well organised it shouldn't be too much of a problem I suppose, but clearly I am struggling in that department. :blush:

Good luck! :clapping: :clapping:

xx

LucyatMCM
20-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks Keeks,

I know I didn't want to do food but, and I hate to say the 'd word', but I am so DESPERATE that I would do it now if it got me the customer and if it doesn't work out I'll have to find a way to phase it out later.

snufflepuff
20-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Hope you get someone signing contracts very soon! You have had alot of enquiries so that's promising- I have been registered since February 2010 and have had just 4 enquiries in that time- infact I have had none at all since May 2010.

LucyatMCM
21-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Day 10

Things might be looking up. I've now got three appointments tomorrow and someone else is supposed to be calling me tomorow.

One is looking for a place for her daughter, starting in September. She's going to a school which is not my prefered school, I have a school around the corner from me but I've only had two enquiries for that school so far. If I were to sign a contract and start taking a retainer from this woman and then before September get someone from the school around the corner from me where do I stand contractually? Can I just give them back their money and say sorry?

LucyatMCM
24-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Day 7

Woooo hooo! Someone actually just turned up to a visit! I hope it went ok. I don't feel I'm the best judge, having thought that a previous visit went ok!

What wasn't great is that I should have hid a toy that I know DD doesn't like, a loud fire engine. Of course the little boy wanted to play with it and she howled!

Also felt my mind went blank in terms of stuff I should tell them! Think they'll make a decision in the next 48hours. Keep your fingers crossed!

WibbleWobble
24-01-2011, 04:25 PM
fingers crossed and everything else crossed for you

mandy xxx

keeks
24-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm all tangled up with crosses for you! :D

xx

mrs_scottydog
24-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you! I always find it handy to write down a few things that I'd like to ask or mention to the parents, just incase I forget anything. Saves me getting annoyed with myself for forgetting things! :) Hx

LucyatMCM
24-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Helen, got three more visits this week. Any top tips for what to cover?

LucyatMCM
27-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Day 4

Well I think I might as well phone my boss and tell her I am coming back. Monday's visit hasn't been in touch, they said they would take 48 hours to decide.

Today's visit went ok but didn't get good vibes as they were leaving.

Tomorrow one visit is cancelled and the other is for a September place which is no good to me without other customers.

I think it's game over. :(

keeks
28-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Day 4

Well I think I might as well phone my boss and tell her I am coming back. Monday's visit hasn't been in touch, they said they would take 48 hours to decide.

Today's visit went ok but didn't get good vibes as they were leaving.

Tomorrow one visit is cancelled and the other is for a September place which is no good to me without other customers.

I think it's game over. :(

I'm so sorry, I am still keeping everything crossed for a last minute family with twins wanting full time!

How much notice would you have to give if you start working and then suddenly get enough bookings?

xx

LucyatMCM
28-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Keeks, that's sweet! Once I go back I am on three months, after the first three months it will go down to two months so it would be difficult to pick up work then I think as most people don't seem to be working that far in advance?

keeks
28-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Keeks, that's sweet! Once I go back I am on three months, after the first three months it will go down to two months so it would be difficult to pick up work then I think as most people don't seem to be working that far in advance?

I think you are right, but I also know there are some people who want to book well in advance. You can always keep advertising and see if anyone suitable gets in touch. I have had most of mine from childcare.co.uk.

xx

heidicat
29-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Just read this - I have my fingers crossed for you too! I main fear of this whole childminding thing is that i will get no-one to look after and then I will have to give up and go back to work and pay someone else to look after my children. I cant believe the amount of people that seem to think its ok my muck you around in terms of cancelling, not even turning up etc. Hopefully this weekend things will change and someone will call on Monday morning!

LucyatMCM
29-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks hun, my parents have agreed to look after my daughter so at least I don't have that worry!