PDA

View Full Version : Turned down work! Am I mad?

Jinx
16-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Just had an enquiry re. 2 children, 4yr old full time til sept, and 6yr old after school and full time in hols. I told her I couldn't help, (gave her someone elses no. ) not sure I've done the right thing! Just worked out how much money that would have been!
Thing is, I have a 7yr old who I feel gets left to her own devises too much already. Don't feel like I've spent anytime with her during these past 2 weeks off. (I'm minding 1 baby full time and 1 part time.) Although she might have got on well with the 6yr old, there is a risk that they wouldn't get on, and that will make for a long 6 week summer holiday!
I think I've done the right thing for me and my family, but why do I feel so guilty?:( She sounded quite desperate!:(
Jinx

Lou
16-04-2008, 06:43 PM
You must put your family first and if you feel that this could have possibly had a detrimental effect then you really did the right thing!!!

crazybones
16-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I agree with Lou.:thumbsup:

littletreasures
16-04-2008, 06:46 PM
If you're not happy with the little time you spend with your daughter you've done the right thing. Family comes first every time.

I'm sure something better will come along to fit in with the family.

littletreasures

Jinx
16-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks Guys, needed to hear that from someone else.
Family does come first. Got 2 daughters doing GCSE's in a few weeks time, a hormonal 12yr old boy and my 7yr old 'assistant' to think about first. Haven't got time to scratch my own :censored: , let alone taking on more mindee's at the moment.
Needed to 'vent'.
Love this forum. :D
Jinx x

tulip0803
16-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I totally agree with you all. You have to do what is best for your family:)

peggy
16-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Just had an enquiry re. 2 children, 4yr old full time til sept, and 6yr old after school and full time in hols. I told her I couldn't help, (gave her someone elses no. ) not sure I've done the right thing! Just worked out how much money that would have been!
Thing is, I have a 7yr old who I feel gets left to her own devises too much already. Don't feel like I've spent anytime with her during these past 2 weeks off. (I'm minding 1 baby full time and 1 part time.) Although she might have got on well with the 6yr old, there is a risk that they wouldn't get on, and that will make for a long 6 week summer holiday!
I think I've done the right thing for me and my family, but why do I feel so guilty?:( She sounded quite desperate!:(
Jinx

I've done this before, turned work away and had a rethink but i think your gut reaction is probably right! Dont feel guilty hun, you too deserve some quality time with your own children! The money is always appealing but in realistically to earn such money you'd have to be wonderwoman, not sure I'd cope with 2 babies, a four, six and seven year old!

sarah707
16-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I have learned the hard way - put your family first and yourself... you really do have to consider how shattered you are going to be. :D

manjay
16-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Guys, needed to hear that from someone else.
Family does come first. Got 2 daughters doing GCSE's in a few weeks time, a hormonal 12yr old boy and my 7yr old 'assistant' to think about first. Haven't got time to scratch my own :censored: , let alone taking on more mindee's at the moment.
Needed to 'vent'.
Love this forum. :D
Jinx x

One daughter doing GCSEs is bad enough never mind two:panic: I think you have completely done the right thing:thumbsup:

littletreasures
16-04-2008, 07:35 PM
my son's doing GCSE's this year as well and I know how stressed he is getting. Good luck with 2!!

They will both be on study leave soon won't they. Just think of them trying to study with more noise.

littletreasures

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 07:39 PM
You should always do what you feel is right. I've turned people down wanting full-time care because I don't feel it would benefit my dd. I've only got 1 child at the moment and he's only part-time so I could do with the money but not at the cost of family.:D

lady boss
16-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I totally agree with everyone else, i think you have done the right thing for you and your family x x:)

fionamal
16-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I agree with everyone else.

You have done the right thing. Family comes first:thumbsup:

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you did the right thing

Angel xxx

Twinkles
16-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I think you did the right thing too.
I only worked part time when my own were young and then I only worked for teachers so I got the hols to spend with my kids.
You have to think of your quality of life too.

miffy
17-04-2008, 06:17 AM
I agree you've done the right thing - you have a lot of things happening in your own children's lives atm and you have (quite rightly) put them first.

miffy xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-04-2008, 06:43 AM
You have done the right thing, you must put your family first have learn't that the hard way.

Lorraine xx

Jinx
17-04-2008, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=

They will both be on study leave soon won't they. Just think of them trying to study with more noise.

littletreasures[/QUOTE]

Only 1 is on study leave. The other is in yr 9 and doing French gcse this year, as well as starting IT and RE course work and doing SATs in May. They are so different. The oldest is laid back and will scrape through, but doesn't care! The other is a hard worker who worries so much and has no confidence in her abilities, yet is likely to do very well. It's so hard to get the balance right with them both! I was suppose to start the DHC myself this year, but decided my own brain was too frazzled at the moment.
Thanks for all your kind comments. It's helped loads.

Jinx x

susi513
17-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Agree, you've done the right AND professional thing here. I used to say yes to anyone I had a space for but I've learned the hard way thats not the best approach at all.

When you decide to offer a place there's a lot to consider in how the care of the new child will impact on your family and other minded children. The beauty of this business is that we can pick and choose which ones to take on and lets face it, it wasn't the money that attracted us the childminding !

Rach30
17-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Yep you have definately done the right thing . I've turned down work before and it does make you feeli guilty but i have recently found out my son is falling behind at school and i'm sure its because my minding is having an impact on him , so that makes me feel more guilty. ALWAYS put your family first is what i say :)

breezy
17-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I always feel guilty turning down work and the parents always seem desperate, but family comes first and no amount of money is worth your family life suffering, the six weeks hols can be a nightmare if you take on too many kids!!!!! :)

disney
17-04-2008, 01:14 PM
yer you did the right thing , if it didnt feel right then you should go with your gut feelings . sometimes we have to think of our family & ourselves , i know you said mum sounded desperate but they all do my love , but we cant have them all because we feel guilty . so enjoy what you have :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
17-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with everyone else - you have to think of your own family - the money is nice but its not much use if you haven't got the time or the space in the car to go out with your own children in the holidays and enjoy it! i know from experience - I have got 4 boys of my own and with the mindees I used to have in the holidays we couldn't all fit in the car to go anywhere! :panic: