PDA

View Full Version : Level 2 Literacy & Numeracy

greengenes56
10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Hello and thanks for the welcome:

My wife and I are hoping to set up as childminders. We've heard that for new registrations, we have to prove Level 2 Literacy & Numeracy skills.

Is this right?

I have some hairy O Levels from 1974 but my wife's having trouble locating hers...

sarah707
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the forum!

There are no qualification requirements in the statutory documents for childminders beyond a first aid certificate and an introduction to childminding course.

If your local area is saying you must have other qualifications then it is a local thing, not national (as far as I am aware).

There are literacy and numeracy courses to pass before starting an NVQ but not, as far as I am aware, for childminding.

If you find out any more about this please let us know so we can update other new members.

Thank you! :D

Rmead
10-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi there,
When I did my training in Kent in Sept/Oct we were required to do Adult Literacy level 2 regardless of our previous qualifications (unless completed in the last 3 years I think). Which was slightly frustrating as I did English A Level but we were told everyone must stay for not only the exam but the learning sessions. We had a couple of hrs each week after our childminding training and then the exam on the final week.

linda2girls
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Maybe this is the local requirement if you want funding?

I trained a year ago, fully funded by the county and I didn't need to prove Literacy or Numeracy skills.

Linda.

TinyTinker
11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
never heard of that before.......but some colleges (the one I work at does) offer adult literacy and numeracy free as basic skills courses. You attend some evening sessions then do an online test.