PDA

View Full Version : First potential mindee visit tomorrow

Phoenix
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Just had a call from a lady who has to go back to work after maternity, and is coming to see me tomorrow.

She has a 7month old boy and has to start back on Feb 20th,

Any advice for me and what to do if she is happy to go ahead with regard to taking a depoist or something to hold the place incase she blows me out at the last minute.

Help please thanks (v.nervous)

LucyatMCM
10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I haven't started minding myself yet so I'm only giving a personal opinion... I probably wouldn't take any money but only because it's not really very long til they start and I wouldn't want to do anything to put my first customer off but as I say, I have no experience so hopefully someone else will reply and we'll both benefit from their response.

Really good luck, fingers crossed for you x

Phoenix
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
~Thanks Lucy~

I think its because a lot of childminders I know and I am sure on here, have come across the people who say they want to use you and then dont in the end and you've potentially lost another mindee as you have been holding the place for them. Some people do that, which I need to toughen up on being too easy going on things and getting mugged off!!! :(

LucyatMCM
11-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Hiya,

Was thinking about you this morning. I was having a bad day yesterday and didn't say that I intend to charge parents a month in advance so they'd have to give me a month's fees to secure the place. I don't think that would be unreasonable for a Feb start and inline with what nurseries do I think? x

Phoenix
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi Lucy,

Well mum turned up with her mum, all went well and she said she wants to use me for her LO, so I said to go home and discuss it with her husband and then come back to me.

Said that I wouldn't charge for settling in period but wondering if I should take a depoist to hold the place until Feb 20th????? Say like half the first months fees????

TinyTinker
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't taken any deposits for my new starts!:blush: maybe I should have, but they have all signed contracts. I have 5 starting from 21st. I have only one that is having a settling in session which is 3 hours and I am not charging for that. I am asking for payment in advance so they should all be paying on their first day;)

Glad it all went ok.

mufftie
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
well done ,
i dont take deposits either , i may change my mind if it was a long time before they were due to start but generally not , i just suggest a few sessions to settle in between , that way your keeping in contact and they are less likey to not come back

Phoenix
12-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks,

I have also suggested a few settling in sessions, which I'm not charging for???!!!!! I probably wont then as it is only a short time till he starts and I suppose providing they sign a contract then they have committed to the contract!!!