PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade her away from the TV

MissTinkerbell
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I look after M aged 4. She comes to me at 8am along with her 15 month old brother, goes to preschool at 9am and I pick her up at 12. She stays until 5pm and 4pm on a Friday.

My big problem is persuading her to do something other than want to watch CBeebies. As soon asshe has finished her lunch she asks to watch her programmes. When I say no, weare going to do X this afternoon or I thought you'd like to choose something to do, her bottom lip drops and she'll say she's tired or she doesn't feel well or something similar.

In September I didn't mind her watching TV because she'd just started preschool 5 mornings a week and looked shattered on arrival home at mine and all she wanted to do was flop on the sofa with books or the TV.

However over the last 6-8 weeks I've been trying to prise her away from the TV and restrict it to going on at 2.30 when her brother has her bottle until we go out for school pick up at 3.05 - gives me chance to tidy up as well.

She is not happy with this. I've tried offereing her all the activities/ toys that I know she likes and even when I give her the choice she chooses something, plays with it for 5 minutes and then says she's too tired to play and wants to watch her magic programmes.

I have spoken to mum about this and mum does not mind the fact that she wants to watch TV. Now I don't mind on a Friday afternoon but do not want this happening for the other 3 afternoons I have her. Is it case that she's been busy all morning at preschool and really can't be bothered in the afternoons?

What would do?

Zoomie
10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
tell her tv is broken. she may sulk for a bit but once she realises no tv she'll start to find other activities.

my own boys 9 and 11 have had a week of screen ban (no computer, tv, ds, ipod, anything with a screen). they moaped around for a day, but soon got playing board games and i have loved not having the tv on. really sad they were so good cos they have earned it back, but it is on a programme by programme basis from now onwards.

candy cat
10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
just don't turn it off or just have quiet time when they are allowed 15 mins/30 mins tv to just chill out....she will soon learn :) my daughter would watch it all day if I let her!

Beetlejuice
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree - tell her it's broken if you want or be honest with her and say she's not watching it at your house. I had a child who obviously watched tv all day long at home and expected to at mine. I refused. I had a few 'I'm bored' comments but she soon got over it.

jumpinjen
10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
She's old enough to be up front with...... tell her she can watch tv on Friday but Monday to Thursday the TV stays off..... when she pouts ask her shall we do X or Y? if she refuses both then leave her to it and play with others til she joins in..... if she claims tired or unwell offer to tuck her up on the sofa with a pile of books and a drink of water, then don't budge, it'll take a few weeks but she'll get used to it!

Good luck, Jen x

Pipsqueak
10-01-2011, 04:20 PM
just don't turn it on - with a no we are going to do xyz. she will soon get the message.

we have 20 mins tv time normally after lunch but that is it.