PDA

View Full Version : DO coming Wednesday oh help!

Vickster
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
It will be my 6th day with my 9 month old mindee plus I have my 19 month old daughter and a 4 year old. Yikes..... Play doh I think....what do they come round for to judge or offer advice.

I have only met her once and found her quite opiniated (sp).

Zoomie
10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I would just do things as usual.

sorry your do is opinionated :angry: , they really are suppose to be helpful.

moogster1a
10-01-2011, 02:45 PM
They tend to be a mix of giving advice and judging. Mostly though, they have their own strange ideas which are com pletely impractical. They then pronounce these as if they are the last word in childcare expertise. I like to stare wide eyed at them saying " really! you honestly think that's a good idea?!"
DH and I then have a good giggle at their latest mad bee in the bonnet and wonder why our taxes are funding such non entities.
remember, they're not OFSTED and can't tell you how to run your business.
They're meant to be there to help you, so make a list of training etc. you need, and get them to sort it out for you.

rickysmiths
10-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Golly ours doesn't even come to our cm group never mind peoples houses. :angry:

I don't think we will miss her when she goes due to budget cuts at the end of March. Herts have ended their contract with NCMA.

Vickster
10-01-2011, 02:53 PM
This is the same lady that told me to put lagging round the wooden garden posts.

sarah707
10-01-2011, 06:32 PM
This is the same lady that told me to put lagging round the wooden garden posts.

:ROFL1:

I just listen, nod, say thank you for coming... and carry on my own sweet way.

Having said that the last time I had a visit she was lovely, came for lunch and we had a good gossip :D

Vickster
10-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Ok, I am practising smiling and biting my tongue

maisiemog
12-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I have mine coming on Friday. It's the only day she can do and what a shame....I wont be working so it's just me and her!

I am a bit annoyed that she's coming at 9.30am though! I could have had a lie in!!! But glad she is coming! I have a HUGE list of things I want her to do for me, including helping me become accredited!

Penny1959
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I hope your DO talks some sense when she visits.

As an ex DO, I know DO's are supposed to offer advice and support not to judge or to insist on their ideas being implemented.

Penny :)

Louise0208
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
my DO has offered nothing but useless advice & make empty promises......i now take everything with a pinch of salt! (this was the person that told me all my hard earned paperwork wasnt worth the paper it was written on yet ofsted rated it 'Very Good')

my CM friends have nothing to do with ours as all she does is pull everyone down & tells us it should be done the 'councils recomended way' :rolleyes:

but il always give the benefit of the doubt!

FussyElmo
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
In defence of do's I have a lovely one. Never patronising etc comes gives me advice and support and yes sometimes I take her ideas on board sometimes I dont.

I suppose they do have to be be confident and self assured which appear to be opinionated because of the job they do.

angiemog
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Mine is coming next Friday. She has called me a couple of times seemed nice on the phone.... but we shall see. It will be to have someone look through my paperwork and see if I'm missing anything or if it can be improved. I like the system I have it's a mixture of everyone's ideas and ways on here so don't want to change it too much or for her to be critical of it cos I like the way I do things. x

teacake2
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I have a DO, seen her once since she has been in her job, about 5 yrs, a Network Co-ordinator who is supposed to visit every 6 wks (I am accredited), but as I don't have any children in the right age group at the moment she comes when she likes. I much prefer coming on this forum for help and advice, we all live in the real world and know what it is like in this job, and we all help each other out, well I would like to but I am not clever enough so unfortunately I do all the taking in this.:blush: :blush:
Teacake2

breezy
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Mine seems ok the few times I've met her, but she is a bit picky, so I nod and ignore:)

manjay
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Our development officer and network co-ordinator are fab. Definitely not non entities who are a waste of money. Of course not all will be the same but I would say just listen to their advice and then decide if it's something you want to do.

miss mopple
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Ours is lovely, although I did have a little :rolleyes: at her when she came yesterday as she picked up on the fact there was a toilet brush in my loo (crime of all crimes :eek: ). I pointed out that as I only had children in nappies who dont go upstairs that it wasn't an issue and it was there for family and guests. Then she asked, 'and when you do have toilet trained children do they have their own towels?' Well yes of course they do, and they are on labelled hooks, but again, as it is my HOME I see no reason why rooms not being used should look like a nursery when not in use for mindees so the hooks and labels come down. She saw my point, but how stupid to raise it in the 1st place. After 7yrs on the network she knows how I operate- or should do!

Vickster
19-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Well she came and she only stayed a little while as I was quite busy, it was just a welcome visit, so not too bad.

kel1983
19-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I dont have a DO or if I do I have never heard from them.