PDA

View Full Version : Child starting mid March?

Tippy Toes
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Hello

Just wondering what if/what you would charge to hold a space until Mid March?

I was thinking of asking for a third of fees up until little one starts and adding that I can have the little one for settling in sessions for the hours paid from this third of fees retainer?

What do you think and what would you do?

ranger-knight
10-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi
sorry to hijack your thread, but I am interested in the advice you get,
I have a LO with me now 2 days a week (17 hours) term time but is dropping to 1 day from Feb. but from september I am supposed to be having LO back at 2 days aswell as baby brother for same (9months old then).
No mention has been made of retainer or anything yet as I haven't definately accepted but paretns seem to have taken it as read that I'm going to do it.
Should I charge a retainer? I kind of think I should do but also feel very awkward doing so for such a long period of time (parents are family friends which is extra tricky imo)

Apologies agian for jumping on your thread. :blush:

I think you should charge a retainer, a third of fees sounds very reasonable, other minders in my area seem to charge 50% or full fees, is this usual?

candy cat
26-01-2011, 11:48 AM
charge a retainer and explain you can't keep a day open as you are running a business.....i have someone been paying one for 7 months and does 3 hours settling in,which she pays the other 50% for this. You have to keep this place free and they can with decent notice use this place. You should also only charge when available to work ie if you don't charge for hols/sick then shouldn't charge them for their day/days. my parent prefers it as didn't want to pay out a big deposit! good luckx

mufftie
26-01-2011, 01:42 PM
i dont charge a retainer but more of a deposite of say a months fee to be deducted of the first months fee's that way if they change their mind youve got a months money for your trouble

kel1983
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
i dont charge a retainer but more of a deposite of say a months fee to be deducted of the first months fee's that way if they change their mind youve got a months money for your trouble

I was thinking this too Mufftie. I have a family visiting me next week and they dont want the place until late April. Atleast if they decide not to take up the place I have got a months fees out of them for wasting my time.

The Juggler
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
i think for a month I probably wouldn't charge a retainer. However, if I really needed the money I would. Depends on whether I might risk losing the contract over it. For over a month i probably would though.:)

miffy
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM

I do this too - make sure you get it in writing that this is non refundable if they change their minds.

Good luck

Miffy xx