PDA

View Full Version : Help re. dogs

Jules12Wed
10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Been having a conversation this morning at the school gate discussing dogs and another childminder overheard and said that there is a list of dogs that as a childminder you are not allowed to own. Does anyone know if this is true and if so do you know where I can get a list from?

Tinglesnark
10-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Oh well i have never heard that one before?
Have you called Ofsted or the NCMA to ask them?

AliceK
10-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty certain that's not true.
I looked into this area in quite a lot of detail when I started. Never heard of such a thing although I would think that some parents might be put off a childminder who had certain breeds of dog rather than others. But then again some parents would be put off by any dog at all. I don't think it ever put any of my prospective parents off though, mind you my house feels like a zoo sometimes, cats, rabbits, GAL Snail.

xxxxx

MaryMary
10-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I have not heard of that. Let us know if you find anything though!

I do worry sometimes that the fact that I have a dog puts off some potential parents :( I always mention it at initial contact, as I like to be upfront, and they usually say 'Oh, X loves dogs!' They don't usually ask what sort he is though:huh: (he is a Springer spaniel). I have put down that I have a dog on my profile with FIS and childcare.co.uk.

One of our local Ofsted inspectors is anti pets, so I am dreading if I get her at the next inspection :panic: I have included in my permissions that the children will come into contact with animals (pets & also parks/farms/zoos etc) just to cover myself :D

Bridey
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Its not true! I have a childminding friend, who also trained new childminders and worked for the NCMA who has a rottweiler. The dog is impeccably behaved as she was taught from an early age that her place in the 'family pack' is at the very bottom. My friend never had trouble finding work, nor with her Ofsted inspections because of the dog but that was down to how she handled herself and the animal.

caz3007
10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a dog and have done since before I was registered. Ok mine is an old lab *****, but never heard of a list and never had a child not come cos of the dog. In fact she has helped some children get over their fear which the parents have been happy about.

Jules12Wed
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Thank you for all your helpful advice.