PDA

View Full Version : activity ideas for younger ones?

crazyhazy
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a 10m old mindee 2 days a week and a 14m old starting at the beginning of march. At the moment my other mindee is the same age as my own dd, 4y so it's easy to find activities to suit etc but I must admit I'm nervous about filling whole days with younger ones. My own 2 dds are 2y and 4y, the eldest is at preschool every morning but apart from that I'll have both of them and either the 10m or 14m old all day. So what activities do you find good for younger toddlers? We try and get outside as much as possible and we're going to head back to our old toddler group one morning a week but I'm stuck for activities for when we're at home.

Thanks x

Angela234
09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Tray of dried pasta with scoops jugs containers (you could also use rice,cornflakes)

Box with selection of tops (coffee jars jam pots) adding a box with a hole for posting tops.

Selection of wooden bricks/blocks

Treasure and shinny baskets

Animals /sealife;on their own /water tray/sand tray/make marks in playdoh.

Rolling balls make a run to roll balls down.

Musicial instruments with music they love music.

Action rhymes.

Feeding teddy/dolls.

A few ideas

Vickster
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Great ideas Angela. Thanks for sharing.

Balls and the huge thick balloons are a hit here as are books with mirrors, shakers, chatting, Tickling games, Exploring, Tunnels, anything to cruise round.

Once you have worked out their schema you can suit play round that too.

catlyn
09-01-2011, 11:21 PM
sorry to sound stupid but whats a schema please??

gegele
09-01-2011, 11:31 PM
schema is what they're into at the moment for example :

you have the kids that throw everything : give him some balls, put a box and play throwing in the box

you have the transporter who put everything in bags, buggies, trucks...

you have the envelopper who wrap enverything play postman and put things in envelop, give fabric, tissus paper, to wrap up toys...

you are the ones who love wheels so you give, car trucks buggies.....

you get the ideas.

just let them play and see what they prefer, ask parents what they like playing with at the moment. and off you go LOL

to be honest at this age i wouldn't make myself sick with strick planning.

put little peoples and farms and so on on little table to encourage 10months old to stand up and maybe walk around table according his stage, talk about the animals.....

musical instrument in always a favorite, make your own shakers with little water bottle is always a big winner.

relax and enjooy:thumbsup:

catlyn
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation xx

crazyhazy
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks, some good ideas there will have a proper read this evening, isn't it funny how you can never remember what you done when your own kids were younger lol