PDA

View Full Version : Paving? Decking? Cost? Hellllp

clio0602
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Right I'm all into this outdoor play thing now! I'm soo excited been pricing planters up for the kids getting in loads of natural resources and waterproof suits etc etc

Now I've decided I def need some sort of unboggy area and want to either deck or pave half the garden. Hopefully with Landlord approval

Can anyone advise me of what is best? I'm thinking decking would cause less grazed knees but will have a step down to the grass (I think)

Also I have no idea how much these things cost???

Anyone had this done or know anything about it pls xxx

rickysmiths
09-01-2011, 11:54 PM
We had a large extention built this summer and had paving out around the back of the house, you just step out onto the paving from the French Doors, no step and just a small step out of the back door. It is about 10 feet out from the house across the back and along the side ant it cost £2000 plus £800 ( we bought the cheapest, big heavy stones that Wicks sell!) for the paving stones. This included laying the hardcore , laying the stones and building about 10' of 18" high retaining wall.

angiemog
10-01-2011, 07:17 AM
I had decking done in the summer we step on to ours from the conservatory. Mine is completely enclosed so has a wooden railing and gate. I love it cos the children are safe and can't get in the garden unless I open the gate. It cost around £1600. It's the width of the house and goes out about 10ft. x

Blackcat
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
i paved my garden myselfd for £300

clio0602
10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
i paved my garden myselfd for £300

Ooooo sounds a great price! Wouldn't know where to start though??? :(

I'd just plonk the stones on top of the grass lol

Blackcat
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Ooooo sounds a great price! Wouldn't know where to start though??? :(

I'd just plonk the stones on top of the grass lol

dig the area out to the gravel, add plastic covering, add building sand and then concerete then paving
(i'm no diyer but my decking had rotted and was too expensive to replace. m
Got all stuff from B&Q propably didnt cost as much as £300 tbh

suchagoodgirl
11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I have decking and it was one of the worst decisions i ever made! The rear of my house is north facing and in winter it gets no direct sunlight whatsover, so never dries out and remains really slippy. Jet washing means that whatever decking stain you use strips off and leaves a patchy effect that looks awful.

Consequently our rear area is no go in winter, or when it has rained. I'm now desperatly saving up to have rubber tiles laid over it.

honey
11-01-2011, 04:49 PM
i have got decking and i cannot use it all in the rain as it is just soooooo slippery. i cna use the patio no probs........ maintenance of the decing is time consuming too- i have to jet wash it twice a year esp after winter to get the green off....

Pipsqueak
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
hubs puts up fencing/decking/patios and blocks.

if you got any questions I can ask him:D

little chickee
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree with decking being very slippery when wet, also with the pressure washing striping off the stain.

looks lovely when first done but give it one winter and it deteriorates and needs scrubbed down and re-stained every year to keep looking halfway decent.

i currently do not get the mindees out to play in the garden at all because the decking is unsafe and the grass is wet and muddy. Most of the kids do not come prepared for outdoor play so we go for walks in the woods instead.

sweets
11-01-2011, 06:20 PM
im here to defend decking! lol.

mine is never slippy, my garden is south facing so that may make a difference.

i jet wash it prob once a year if that and yes it does take the stain off, but that wears anyway with people walking on it and needs refreshing prob every 2 years but it doesnt take me long.

Louise0208
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
we had decking & it lasted 6 months, sooo slippery it was an accident waiting to happen (actually a few did happen)

we now have a lazy lawn..... fake grass!, cost £200, its brilliant, dog & child proof & lasts 20 yrs

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb154/louise0208/Childminding/untitled.jpg

Pipsqueak
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Decent decking doesn;t have to be slippery.

You use a good quality treated wood - You continue to treat it and providing you look after it then its ok.

Hebs
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
hubs puts up fencing/decking/patios and blocks.

if you got any questions I can ask him:D

And is very good! Need him to price up some decking for me when he does fence x

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2011, 01:26 PM
We are going to get some of these

http://www.grassmat-direct.co.uk/

the grass still grows through them and they stop the mud, quite a few playgrounds round here have them and they are brill. I wanted fake grass til ds fell on some and grazed his leg really badly.

clio0602
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
we had decking & it lasted 6 months, sooo slippery it was an accident waiting to happen (actually a few did happen)

we now have a lazy lawn..... fake grass!, cost £200, its brilliant, dog & child proof & lasts 20 yrs

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb154/louise0208/Childminding/untitled.jpg

I'm loving that! Don't think I'd do the whole garden with it just the really soggy half! Hmmm might ask landlord.... looks like paving or pretend grass! Thanks for all the replies xx

Can I ask where you got grass from?? xx

Pipsqueak
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
And is very good! Need him to price up some decking for me when he does fence x

thank you Hebs - i have reminded him to ring you - but typical bloke......:rolleyes:

mrsoliver
12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Decking provides a lovely home for rats! They love to tunnel underneath.

rickysmiths
12-01-2011, 01:53 PM

the grass still grows through them and they stop the mud, quite a few playgrounds round here have them and they are brill. I wanted fake grass til ds fell on some and grazed his leg really badly.

Think I would be afraid of what would happen if little one fell over on this and babbies crawling? Not the same as a lawn.

clio0602
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM

I did look into these but they are quite hard rubber and dd tripped over them at playground as it wasn't laid level IYSWIM

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Think I would be afraid of what would happen if little one fell over on this and babbies crawling? Not the same as a lawn.

I dont think it would be as bad as falling on paving or fake grass but obviously not as good as real grass. Am sure babies could crawl on it, or at least as well as they could paving. Decking too slippy if it rains for the running around my kids do I think. Like I said the council use it in their playgrounds. Our lawn is just mud and completely unusable without something else.

I can see how its a trip hazard, we will be cable tying the mats together and pegging them down well!

clio0602
12-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I dont think it would be as bad as falling on paving or fake grass but obviously not as good as real grass. Am sure babies could crawl on it, or at least as well as they could paving. Decking too slippy if it rains for the running around my kids do I think. Like I said the council use it in their playgrounds. Our lawn is just mud and completely unusable without something else.

I can see how its a trip hazard, we will be cable tying the mats together and pegging them down well!

They could be an option actually just wish they weren't so hard :rolleyes:

gigglinggoblin
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
They could be an option actually just wish they weren't so hard :rolleyes:

I know, I wish I could have a nice lawn but if mines like a marsh land, totally useless. If I cant have lawn then this is the next best, at least there is still grass and they are no harder than decking or paving. We have such a small garden it will look really grey without the grass, all we would be able to see is wall!

clio0602
12-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Just need to compare prices on websites and get quotes. Suppose it would be better for landlord too. TY x

Hebs
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
thank you Hebs - i have reminded him to ring you - but typical bloke......:rolleyes:

No hurry pip x got half the cost of the fence already so looking at feb half term for that if he's free then. Then decking ready for summer! X

sweets
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM
cant really understand why people would get rid of ALL there grass to put down paving or decking for little ones to play in. Grass is a lovely natural materail for them to play and crawl on.

for the money you would spend getting rid of boggy grass to lay paving/decking you could get someone in to sort out the drainage of your grass probably a lot cheaper. or if its not too bad then do it yourself by scarifying, putting holes in with a fork and brushing soft sand in to improve drainage, it will work eventually.

and as for false grass... sorry but i don't like it at all

charlie potato
12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
slight detour to the thread but does anyone know about how much it would cost to do a conservatory of 10x10ft? Also with it being classed as the front of the house would it be an issue for planning? We want to build a conservatory to give us more space and then flag down the side of the house to keep a play area. xx