PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children unattended

Rmead
09-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm still in pre-reg but setting everything up.

I'm using my spare room upstairs as nap room with a travel cot in there. I have a 10 month old daughter too. I just wondered what people do if putting children down for naps if you have two children who can't really climb the stairs. My daughter tends to still fall asleep being given a bottle or in her swing and then I put her down. I am working on her going down awake before I start!
I was worried about what I would do with the other child while I carried her up. Is it ok to leave them for a few minutes?

On our pre-reg course they said they needed to be in ear shot at all times.
The rest of the day my house is pretty ideal as I'm using my conservatory as a playroom which links to kitchen and has a big window through to kitchen so I can see them through there when I prepare meals. My downstairs loo is right next to the living room and I can see them playing in there from there.
It's just the nap times! For younger children I thought about a playpen for a couple of minutes? Just wondered if this is necessary and what people do.

TammyN
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
i had monitor in sleep room so i could hear upstairs, i used to leave younger ones safely either in highchair or activity centre whilst i nipped upstairs, older ones i would occupy with a toy and say i'll be straight back. ive never had any problems with this and Ofsted seemed happy that i knew to keep them secure if not within my sight.
wonder what others will reply? it is what works for you and your setting as long as you risk assess it for each individual, i would never leave a climer in a highchair if i knew they would try and get out, iyswim?
Tammy

Zoomie
09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Just do whatever is safest for the children.

If I had a baby, I would probably put them in a travel cot or buggy downstairs, or I would take them up with me.

I have 2y and 3y and 3y (3y don't nap anymore) and 1 3y usually comes up with me to settle 2y for his nap (which means just strapping him into a buggy upstairs), whilst other 3y is happy to sit and read a book downstairs for a bit.

I also have a 23m who can't go to sleep unless we go out for a walk, with him in the buggy. Obviously all mindees are out with me then too.

I just go with the flow.

sarak31
09-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I use a playpen to keep them safe when I have to put one asleep upstairs - but once they start to climb on things dont leave anything in there as they could climb on the toy and hit themselves on the playpen. If in doubt ask parents to sign something to say that they are happy for you to leave them safely in the playpen for a moment whilst you nip upstairs to put a child to bed. That should cover you with ofsted I think.

MAWI
09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I have one 2 yr old that sleeps and the other 3 are 4 yrs old and dont sleep, so they all come upstairs with me to put 2 yr old in the cot. I wdo sometimes leave them doing a jigsaw or reading a book, but the LO I has goes straight in cot, quick cuddle and Im no more than a minute. If I had other babies/ toddlers I strap them in pushchair at the bottom of the stairs because I can see them as the bedroom is at top of stairs and just to the left. I suppose it all depends on your house layout too and how well you know the children. As previous posts have said as long as its all risk assessed.

Vickster
09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I was worried about this too. If I am settling the baby, then I tend to put peppa pig/ show me show me on TV for my daughter and nip upstairs and say I am going to the toilet, if I am settling my daughter I put 9MO in travel cot on the same floor. This worked last week (my first week) but we will see what happens this week!

curlycathy
09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
This was the thing that worried me most when I started out - I only have an upstairs loo. Like everyone said - you just assess the children you have and do whats best. For eg - I used to put the baby (now a nearly 3 year old - omg where has the time gone??) in a car seat at the bottom of the stairs out of firing range of my dd and other mindee who tried to use him as target practice lol!!! (only happened once - you see, you learn!!!!)

Also - bear in mind when parents come that you are a lone worker and childminding has loads of advantages over a nursery BUT they have to accept that you work alone and therefore there will be times (obviously kept to a minimum) when children will be left alone for a few minutes.

Dont worry - it will all work out xx

auntym
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I would consider popping a little one in buggy or travel cot for safety while you went upstairs. I would write a sleeping policy and put in there what you would do with younger children while you popped a little one to bed. That way the parents know exactly how you work.

Rmead
10-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone great advice and ideas. Think I'll go for using travel cot for little ones and older ones leave for a minute. Will risk assess and have policy. My policy list is growing fast! Every time I seem to almost finish them all I find another to write!

curlycathy
10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
No matter how many policies, risk assessments and permission forms you have you will ALWAYS think of others!!!!!!xxx