PDA

View Full Version : Washing hands

Spangles
16-04-2008, 02:35 PM
After another thread I read today I just wondered if it was okay for the children to wash their hands in the kitchen sink before snacks and lunch? Until now I have just been using wipes. :blush:

I presume they would have to go upstairs (I have no cloakroom) after potty.

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure what is right now. During my inpection today I wiped children's hands with wipes after nappy change, forgot to wipe hands before snack :blush: oops! and wiped their hands with individual flannels before lunch without a comment from the inspector yet other people have had comments to the contrary.

sarah707
16-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Spangles - I mucked that up as well! :rolleyes:

As far as hand washing in the kitchen sink, I used to before I had a downstairs sink fitted but that was in the days of social services... tbh I would think it was the wrong thing to do because of cross contamination from food etc.

I imagine man in a white coat knows for sure... sure he'll be around later :D

man in a white coat
16-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Common Sense prevails - It comes down to each individual setting. If you have a downstairs sink then great if you don't, then your risk assessment would say there is less risk washing hands at the kitchen sink. You would anyway if you were doing 'baking' as an activity i.e. washing hands before handling food.
In order to completely minimise risk, keep an all purpose food-safe cleaner/sanitiser by the sink and wipe it down after each time you use it.

I am not a fan of using wipes for hands all the time - great for an emergency or getting a lot of 'stuff' off, but then they (hands) should be washed. Soap and water is cheaper, greener and safer.

Iain

Spangles
16-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you Iain!

So, I'll do a risk assessment to say safer to wash hands in kitchen sink due to trips up and down the stairs and get them separate hand flannels to dry them on.

I will get a small bowl for them to wash their hands in as well and plonk it under the sink out of the way when they're not here.

Thanks again.

avril
16-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I use the kitchen sink as don't have a basin in the downstairs loo and upstairs is not registered at my ofsted inspection (feb 08) nothing was said as the sink was clean, soap used and individual towels.

Avril x:)

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Common Sense prevails -
Can you tell that to Ofsted please lol

In order to completely minimise risk, keep an all purpose food-safe cleaner/sanitiser by the sink and wipe it down after each time you use it.
Iain

Can I ask what you mean by this am being a thick so and so tonight

Kelly
17-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I do not have a downstairs cloakroom, so the kitchen sink/wipes has been the other option. When I was doing my Quality Assurance I was questioned on this and said that I had considered the risk and decided is was safer to wash hands in sink than taking three small children upstairs to the bathroom. My co-ordinator said that I should consider having a washing up bowl to use as a wash basin, I could put it on a low table where the children could reach rather than having to be lifted.

Kelly

Rubybubbles
17-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I do not have a downstairs cloakroom, so the kitchen sink/wipes has been the other option. When I was doing my Quality Assurance I was questioned on this and said that I had considered the risk and decided is was safer to wash hands in sink than taking three small children upstairs to the bathroom. My co-ordinator said that I should consider having a washing up bowl to use as a wash basin, I could put it on a low table where the children could reach rather than having to be lifted.

Kelly

but on the flip side, they couldn't share the water no?? it's all so hard......................well my brain hurts tonight anyway:o

Lou
17-04-2008, 07:48 PM
but on the flip side, they couldn't share the water no?? it's all so hard......................well my brain hurts tonight anyway:o

No you would have to have a bowl of water and change the water for each child.....

Rubybubbles
17-04-2008, 07:49 PM
No you would have to have a bowl of water and change the water for each child.....

thats what I thought:idea: but was thinking am I right???

haha brain freeze ...............ouch!

Lou
17-04-2008, 07:52 PM
thats what I thought:idea: but was thinking am I right???

haha brain freeze ...............ouch!

its ok hun relax your brain for the evening you dont need to use it at this time of night!!!

Tatia
18-04-2008, 01:11 PM

And then dump the bowl each time down the kitchen sink?:laughing:

foxy lady
18-04-2008, 01:29 PM
hi i have this prob .
i have my inspection on monday what i think i an going to do is!!!
have a empy bowl on a low table and a big jug of warm water to wash hands in.
i will give each child some soap on there hands and use the emty bowl to catch the water from the jug when i pour it to wash soap off. then a towel each. then tip the water away . hope this will be ok

John
18-04-2008, 01:31 PM
And then dump the bowl each time down the kitchen sink?:laughing:

Just a quickly before I’m back to work, washing children’s hand in a sink you can wash children’s hands in the sink as long you rinse it out before using on another child. What are sinks for? Washing as I thought it was as Ofsted said clean the sink before another child uses it. As in nurseries all children uses sinks to wash. Me I don’t fill the sink up I’ll just get the child to keep water running as the child places there hands under the tap.

John.