PDA

View Full Version : felt tips

mushpea
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
do you let yours have felts or do you stick with pencils and crayons?? up untill christmas it was just pencils and crayons here but then i bought a craft pack which had felts in ,, in the holidays i only have 2 schoolies and three littles,, the littles didnt care about not using the felts and the schoolies spent ages colouring with them,,, now they are back at school i have 4 more children who are term time only and who I know cant be trusted not to draw on the table with the felts do do you think its wrong to say that felts only come out in the holidays or is there another way of dealing with it?? I cant be in the kitchen constantly as i have babies playing in the living room so cant watch them,, the one i cant trust is the youngest of three and it seems mean to stop the others using them just because of one, i do have a table cloth which is wipable on all the time but still think this child needs to learn to colour in the picture and not my table!

babs
09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
mine have pencils, crayons and white board markers i playroom available all the time but felts they use at the table in kitchen, they know the rules leave pens on table not to walk around with them never had a problem mine are 3 to 7, 2 babies i have use chunky markers in high chairs... ( age 10 months and now 1)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
mine have all but supervised felt tips

sarah707
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I was advised by my DO to put all my art materials on the table so they are freely accessible.

I have since reviewed this and now put felt tips and marker pens in a cupboard so they are used when supervised only... after a child drew on my conservatory walls :(

Dragonfly
09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
mine have all, but for little ones I take the lids away whilst they have them.(felt pens)

Dragonfly
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Poor you Sarah, I agree only when supervised, you cant have the children writing on your walls its your home.
Free choice is okay but their must be a limit,pens and pencils can be dangerous years and years ago one of my children fell over with a pencil, he had been walking along sucking the top of the pencil, the injury was to the top of his inside mouth not nice.Hence pens,pencils and felt pens are used up the table.

tashaleee
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I only have them out under supervision. I also cover the table with a wipeable cover and if I really dont 'trust' them I put a bigger piece of paper under what they are colouring so if it goes over they just get the paper :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
mine have them supervised - crayons and pencils are in a cat litter tray (new!) on playroom table with another tray of paper etc for free use.

mindees are all 3 and under so felt pens need to be supervised or they would be eaten/all over my house.

They love the Crayola 'pipsqueak' pens :)

singingcactus
09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Mine have always had free access to all the stuff including markers, scissors and glue sticks etc. They are just there in the drawers.

margaret
09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
All my mindees are 2.5 and under all craft is under supervision,otherwise i would have some very artistic scribbles over my walls and furniture.

manjay
09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I have free access to everything, never had a problem. My pens are washable and come off my kitchen table and craft table with a wet cloth

mushpea
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
mine have free access to paper crayons and pencils but the felts i stopped because the 6yrold would wave their arms around with a pen in hand and would redecorate my walls! the 4yrold would draw on her hands and the 3yrold would draw on the table and as I have properly redecorated the dinning room I dont want it drawn all over again wether it be by accident or on purpose,,, maybe I will get them out tommoro if they want them then if they are sensible fine and if not then they dont get them anymore.

Chimps Childminding
09-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I only let the schoolies have felts unsupervised. The littlies have pencils or crayons, but even then they are only allowed them at the table!!

Saranotts
09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Mine (ranging in age from 1 to 11) have free access to felts but it must be at the table. The only thing I limit the access of is glitter glue pens as they would all be used up in 5 mins!

Sara

sandy64
09-01-2011, 06:06 PM
i only mind 3 yrs and under at mo so only have out pencil crayons and wax, but when i had schoolie id put felt pens on kitchen table and others on small table for lo:) its annoying when they write on table an walls and it doesnt come off.

charleyfarley
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
All mine are supervised and that includes my own children when they have them out :D

Mitchell ended up with more on him yesterday than on the paper :laughing:

Carol xx

funemnx
09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I use coloured pencils - on rare occasions I only have older children, I'll get the felt tips out - even the washable ones don't seem to be very washable!

Lady Haha
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I only have schoolies now! Never even had to consider this before! All my felts are in empty icecream tubs on the playroom table and pretty much all the craft stuff, scissors, glue, sequins, stickons etc is freely available in plastic drawers in there too!

The only things I keep up high is the paint, loose glitter and googly eyes!!!

Alibali
10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Mine all have felt tips, the small ones can make marks easier with them, that said I but washable ones ans we only do art at the table - so no danger of drawing where they shouldn't

Beetlejuice
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
I would honestly love to ban felt pens :o But I stick to supervising the older children.