PDA

View Full Version : dropped their lunchtime naps

clumpcat
09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
morning! i have 3 children that have dropped their naps since closing for christmas and re opening. i was wondering if anyone has a good routine for keeping it quiet and calm during the time they would of had their nap? i used to catch up on paperwork and make dinner for my family when they had their nap but they will need to stop now.
any advice would be much appreciated.
claire
x

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Why do parents say this? Yes they don't sleep during the day and that is because they don't get up at 7am to come to us. I bet they are napping again by the end of next week so hang in there

If they don't, then use the hour or two to let them free play, choose what they like and you can still do assess and writing whilst watching them.

clumpcat
09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
its hard to know what to say to the parents, they are 3 years, 24 months and 18 months. the oldest i can understand and possibly the 24 months but i think 18 months might need to still nap but we'll see. free play sounds good. put a few things out that don't get them too excited so they still have some sort of rest?

Bridey
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I introduced a 15-20 minute 'quiet time' after lunch each day. Lots of snuggly blankets and books and soft toys on the sofa, curtains partly drawn, keeping conversation to quiet tones. To my surprise, the children got used to this, sometimes they fell asleep, sometimes not but they were quiet! I guess it depends on the number, age and personality of the children if this will work or not for you but may be worth a try.

I used to sit next to them doing paperwork or peeling potatoes on a tray!

clumpcat
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
that sounds good! i will try that tomorrow. thank you

The Juggler
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I introduced a 15-20 minute 'quiet time' after lunch each day. Lots of snuggly blankets and books and soft toys on the sofa, curtains partly drawn, keeping conversation to quiet tones. To my surprise, the children got used to this, sometimes they fell asleep, sometimes not but they were quiet! I guess it depends on the number, age and personality of the children if this will work or not for you but may be worth a try.

I used to sit next to them doing paperwork or peeling potatoes on a tray!

that's what I do. sofa's, blankets, books and quiet time for at least half hour. I sneak off and have a bite to eat and they are refreshed and so am I:laughing: :laughing:

margaret
09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I have quiet time after lunch for all children ,they get their cushions ,blankets and book ,lie down and usually asleep within 15mins,if not asleep happy to lie there for up to an hour,gives me time to clean kitchen,catch up on paperwork .If child 3 0r 4 they sit up at table with me drawing,sticking quietly ,they soon get into routine,and i get my paperwork done.

angiemog
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I have had the same all 3 dropped their naps within a few weeksof each other. However if they are tired I still let them sleep in travel cot. After lunch we have quiet time (or in other words Angie's break) I put the tv on for 30 mins they can sit or play quietly. Generally they are happy to watch some tv. I try to have quiet time for an hour in the afternoon. I grab a sandwich when they have their lunch. When they are watching tv I usually put my lap top on and catch up on bits and pieces. That way I am still in the same room. I record Come Outside, Show me Show me, Something special... and pick one of those for them to watch, then link it in with a story or craft. x