PDA

View Full Version : Advise please

cherry
16-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I mind a five year old after school who still soils his pants.

He quite often wets his pants when playing as he can't be bother to go to the toilet but he doesn't have an excuse for soiling his pants.

School give him a star everytime he uses the toilet but I've had him this week all day as it's the school holidays and even though I keep reminding him to go to the toilet he still manages to soil his pants.

I've tried to not give any reaction, time out and reward chart but it's not working.

I've talked to him and asked why but he just says he doesn't know why he does it.

Mum has taken him to the doctors who gave him some medicine to make his stools softer but it just made more mess in his pants!

Has anyone got any ideas please.

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Sorry I don't feel qualified enough to give any advice on this. It's a tricky situation and I'm sure you must be really frustrated. It must be hard for the little boy too.

Hope somebody can help. Good luck. :)

jmoff
16-04-2008, 02:05 PM
...gosh...cherry, poor you.

I don't really know what to suggest, is he going through difficult times at home or something? It may be related to what has happened at hime, school...?

I think you are doing well with reminding him and not reacting...
Hopefully it will change soon!

Jana x

cherry
16-04-2008, 02:07 PM
His granmother died over a year ago and his mother reacted really badly which we think started this off but now it's as if he's just using it as an excuse.

sarah707
16-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Is it really smelly? It could be that he has an impaction. I've dealt with this before and it's not nice... happy to share more info if you think it will be helpful. Just pm me :D

Spangles
16-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Poor little man (and you).

That must be awful.

I think it sounds like his mum might need to take him back to the docs ASAP. Problem is, this could be a much bigger problem if it's not sorted soon and I mean he could start being bullied for this which will just make matters so much worse.

I have found this for you don't know if it's helpful?

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/encopresis.html

Hope it gets sorted out soon.

x

mrsbumbles
16-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I had a little boy like this he carried on doing it regularly untill recently and he is 7yrs now and will do it occaisionally. He never seen embarresd about it.

He was tested for gluten intolerance and coliac but they came back negative

He seemed to do it more when there were changes in his routine.

He had lots of different rules to abide by, mine (his minder), mummy's and new husband, daddy's and also playgroup/ school. Ithink he found ajusting to all those sets of rules and changes in his daily routine made matters worse!

As he has gotten older the soiling himself has become less often because he can deal better with change and understand it more. But he will do it occaisionally.

crazybones
16-04-2008, 02:45 PM
My son did this at the same age and it was because of constipation, he was also very wet. He did eat plenty of fruit and veg but I was told to give him raisens every morning and this worked. They also checked him for a tapeworm. Well I did, had to sneak in the middle of the night, pull down his pants and stick tape on his bum. :o Luckily it was negative. Just a thought.

Pipsqueak
16-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I have had to deal with a child who was impacted - not nice.

I agree with others - mum must take him back to the doctors.

cherry
16-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all your advice, especially Sarah. :)

fionamal
16-04-2008, 03:44 PM
My 5 yearold daughter has been attending Bupa for something similar.

Its now been put down to a feer of the pain of pooing.
Shes been given Movicol which is great as it softens the stools without the pain and makes it easier to go and then with time make the fear of going disapear.

It is working and is alot happier at going now and doesnt hold it in so hopefully she wont need this medicine for much longer.

might be something similar that this boy has

elaineg
16-04-2008, 08:05 PM
My neice had a similar problem when she was small, the doctor said it was because of the feeling of poohing on the toilet sometimes made children feel as if their insides were coming out and they got frightened, so they do it in their pants as it doesnt have the same feeling of letting go, if that makes sense. she just grew out of it herself.

love Elaine XXX