PDA

View Full Version : Getting everyone in the car safely...

bellacat
08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi guys. I have a one year old starting in a couple of weeks. At the moment i have a 3 1/2 year old and a 19 month old. getting them in the car at the moment is no problem. The older one climbs across to his seat while i hold the younger one. I am trying to work out how i can get them all in the car safely when the one year old starts. Obviously my 19 month old can't climb into her seat just yet. The only way i can think of is to strap the younger one in the buggy while sorting the others out and then putting him in. Does anyone have any other ideas that may make life a bit easier.?

Thanks. XXXX:)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Put one in your seat until you are ready to strap them in. Be firm from the start and it will be done automatically

I get 7 in each morning and it is a quick process as they grow up knowing what they need to do

rickysmiths
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I would get the older one to climb in, and start to teach the 19mth old to clib in the car evn id the cant quite get into their seat they are then safe while you put the 1yr old in. If you are out leave the one in the buggy while you get the other 2 in.

Just think about where their seats are. I always try to make sure the smallest one is in the saet on the pavement side of the car IYSWIM. I then unclip the others and get them to climb out of the car on the pavement side. I hate getting children out of the car in the road.

BlondeMoment
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd just throw them all in the car then work on strapping them in. The 19 mth old can prob walk to the car so put the 1 year old that'll prob be in your arms anyway in the seat then lift the 19 mth old into theirs then strap them all in

manjay
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
My car is too tall for them to climb in but I often have the same ages as you. We all walk out to the car together. the eldest can get in with minimum help so he gets in first and climbs in his seat which is as RS says the furthest from me. The 19 month old would get a lift up which I can manage whilst still holding the lo and they just wait until I strap the baby in. I would never leave the 19mth outside whilst my back is turned strapping the baby in.

BlondeMoment
08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
My car is too tall for them to climb in but I often have the same ages as you. We all walk out to the car together. the eldest can get in with minimum help so he gets in first and climbs in his seat which is as RS says the furthest from me. The 19 month old would get a lift up which I can manage whilst still holding the lo and they just wait until I strap the baby in. I would never leave the 19mth outside whilst my back is turned strapping the baby in.

Yeah def have the most able one's seat the furthest away from the door you use. Then you can just bung them all in quickly so they can't go anywhere, then work your way around and strap them. Thats what I do. With just one door open at the back. Even if they're stood on the floor of the car they're safe from running off

AliceK
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah def have the most able one's seat the furthest away from the door you use. Then you can just bung them all in quickly so they can't go anywhere, then work your way around and strap them. Thats what I do. With just one door open at the back. Even if they're stood on the floor of the car they're safe from running off

This is what I do if I have to. I put them all in the one door, maybe lift the eldest toddler into their seat as long as I know they wont fall out of it and then deal with the younger ones. If they are stood in the floorwell at least they can't come to any harm or run off. Strap the baby in then go and lift up and strap the younger ones in.

xxxxx

miffy
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
The only way i can think of is to strap the younger one in the buggy while sorting the others out and then putting him in.

I would do this (I assume you'll usually be taking a buggy with you anyway so will need to have it in the car?).

It won't be long before the 19m old can climb into their seat which will make things a bit easier.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Put one in your seat until you are ready to strap them in. Be firm from the start and it will be done automatically

I get 7 in each morning and it is a quick process as they grow up knowing what they need to do

that's what I do, open the door and let one be the driver/passenger on teh big seat until I put the babies in and have free hands to help them in their seats.:thumbsup:

RachelE
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I have to say, just my opinion, but not keen on the idea of having a small child in the front of the car!

I have a 1,2 and 3 yr old. 3 year old can get herself in, or she holds onto my leg whilst I put another in.
I can hitch the 2 yr old up and she can then climb up whilst I hold the 1 yr old and strap him in.
I have a landrover, which is too high for them to get up themsleves.

I have used the puschair on many ocassions to free my hands.

Luckily, mine are all really good children and get in the car safely.

Rachel x

The Juggler
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I have to say, just my opinion, but not keen on the idea of having a small child in the front of the car!

I have a 1,2 and 3 yr old. 3 year old can get herself in, or she holds onto my leg whilst I put another in.
I can hitch the 2 yr old up and she can then climb up whilst I hold the 1 yr old and strap him in.
I have a landrover, which is too high for them to get up themsleves.

I have used the puschair on many ocassions to free my hands.

Luckily, mine are all really good children and get in the car safely.

Rachel x

can I ask why??? just curious. I make sure the key's not in obviously but apart from pretending to 'drive' there's not much damage they can do - to the car or themselves

manjay
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't have a problem with one in the front but to me it would be more faffing around. I would prefer just one door open and them all going in at the same time.

Vickster
08-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I let my son loose in the front of my car once, I had some coins in one of the drink holders he picked these up and managed to put them in a crack in my steering wheel. The metal of the coins made contact with the horn, so every time I went round the corner, the coins moved and the horn went off. It was very embarrassing, I made my H take it to the garage to get it fixed..

Don't leave coins around. Not only a choking hazard but a horn one.

bellacat
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone you've been a great help. I agree that so long as they are in the car no harm will come to them. my 19 month old can stand in the foot well while i strap the baby in.

Three cheers for Chilminding forum:clapping:

rickysmiths
09-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I let my son loose in the front of my car once, I had some coins in one of the drink holders he picked these up and managed to put them in a crack in my steering wheel. The metal of the coins made contact with the horn, so every time I went round the corner, the coins moved and the horn went off. It was very embarrassing, I made my H take it to the garage to get it fixed..

Don't leave coins around. Not only a choking hazard but a horn one.

sorry this made me grin. :laughing: There is always one who does the unexpected!

RachelE
09-01-2011, 03:22 PM
My reasoning for not putting them in the front are quite a few!
- if I am stapping children in in the back, I cannot see what they are doing, touching etc.
- There are things in the front that I wouldnt want them to touch - as has been mentioned - money, also de-icer, cigarette lighter!, cd's, manuals, maps, and much more. Also, handbrakes sometimes dont take much releasing.
- the drivers door does not have a child safety lock on and a child could easily escape.
Plus, not sure I'd want footprints all over my seat.

I dont feel parents would be happy about it and I personally wouldnt be hapy about it if it was my child.

Rachel x

crazyXstitcher
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Agree with loading everyone in the car and then strapping in, but also wouldn't put them in the front for all the reasons Rachel stated, not to mention the other resultant (harmless)chaos that resulted the one time I did let my 2 yr old in the front -
Windscreen wipers going
Hazard warning lights going
Accidental pressing of the horn that inevitably became non-accidental:rolleyes::D

BlondeMoment
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I have 4 children and a peugeot 106 so one f them has to go in the front but it's always the eldest who's 8