PDA

View Full Version : Are you a new childminder?

Graham
08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi all you newbie childminders who are starting out on your career. We have some good books to get you started in our forum shop.

CHILDMINDING BOOKS (http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childminding-21?_encoding=UTF8&node=3)

Any commission we get from Amazon helps to fund the running costs of the forum and the childminding help website (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk).

mr man
20-01-2011, 09:39 AM
i am indeed, and have jsut ordered a book I was reccommended. Cannot wait for it to come now. :D thanks for the reminder.

qqarni
04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Do we really need any book? Or the cypop5 isn't enough.

Jiorjiina
05-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm a new childminder (actually, I'm still in the process of registering), and the Registered Childminding: The Secrets of Success (http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childminding-21/detail/0954350014) book is about the most useful thing on the planet.

I got it when I was about to do the CYPOP5 course, and now about half the other people I did it with have bought copies. It's brilliant, and goes into way more depth than our trainer went into.

Fairy Tanya
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi - just a quick question, what is a cypops5 ??? sounds like something out of sci-fi channel??

Jiorjiina
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
It's the the unit in the level three diploma in childcare that everyone now does before registration - the "understanding setting up a homebased child care service" course.

Fairy Tanya
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I did a 4 day NCMA course and as far as I'm aware - that was the only course i needed to do, (apart from he paedriatic first aid course - which I have also done).
Is there more courses to do to become a home childminder.
Just trying to find out all th information I need, it all seems so complicated, just getting the business side off the ground.
Thank you.
Tanya

sarah707
10-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Once you are registered and have done your pre-reg course, your continual professional development (CPD) is just starting!

You need to think about your chosen career path and consider how you can improve your business... get better at your paperwork... and generally, as Ofsted put it, 'improve outcomes for children'.

So reading books, investing in e-books to learn more about your chosen profession, attending courses or doing them online, sharing best practice with other childminders, welcoming your local childminder support bods etc are all part of CPD.

:D

Fairy Tanya
16-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Can you recommend which courses to continue with. This is all new to me and I don't know of any childminders in my area to ask.
Thanks

christinegrout
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
these books look really good :)

marleymoo
12-09-2011, 06:17 PM
have a look on the NCMA website about courses or ask your local early years team

Fairy Tanya
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
local early years team?????
where do I find them??

ok, will have to look for some courses then.
did have something though the post from the ncma fo0r
Observation assessment and planning booking form.
what is exactly the above???
and how much does it cost.
I know that you have to pay £25 if you do not attend. but how much does it actually cost originally???

and about this nvq thingy, whats that about???
any help would be great.
as I have spoken to a few people I was on a course with and they also have no idea what all this stuff is.
do you think that maybe we were not informed or it ws not on this list of things that needed to be known at the time of courses in Feb 2011

Tanya

LinziH
26-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the links to the books, very interesting!

knightyknight13
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks, I shall be ordering :)