PDA

View Full Version : What should I do when mindees leave?

buzzy bee
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
What do I do with their contracts and child record forms?

sarah707
08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Put them somewhere safe along with medication, accident, safeguarding, attendance records and other important forms ...

For 21 years 6 months if you insure with NCMA

Until the child is 21 if you insure with Morton Michel

... in case the child wants to sue you for something when s/he is older.

Hth :D

buzzy bee
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Put them somewhere safe along with medication, accident, safeguarding, attendance records and other important forms ...

For 21 years 6 months if you insure with NCMA

Until the child is 21 if you insure with Morton Michel

... in case the child wants to sue you for something when s/he is older.

HA HA! Cheery thought :panic:

Thank you!!

What about photos of them - if they appear in photos of other children in learning journeys and in the setting (if I have parents permission for this) then do I need to blank them out or can I leave those photos in?

sarah707
08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
What about photos of them - if they appear in photos of other children in learning journeys and in the setting (if I have parents permission for this) then do I need to blank them out or can I leave those photos in?

That is between you and the child's parents.

So long as you are registered with the ICO to take photos and store them on digital media then you are legally ok with having them.

The problem comes if parents do not want you to have them once their child has left.

rickysmiths
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Thank you!!

Over my 16yrs cm career I have never had a problem with photos.I have an album for my own memories it would be very odd for me and my family and the mindees they are leaving behind if I had to delete all photos of them when they leave.

rickysmiths
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Thank you!!

Over my 16yrs cm career I have never had a problem with photos.I have an album for my own memories it would be very odd for me and my family and the mindees they are leaving behind if I had to delete all photos of them when they leave.

Noomie
08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
And learning journeys? What do you do with them? I gave the parents a hand made book of some art work, work samples and pictures. Do I also give learning journey? And daily diary? Somehow I ended up with it.

sarah707
08-01-2011, 07:03 PM
And learning journeys? What do you do with them? I gave the parents a hand made book of some art work, work samples and pictures. Do I also give learning journey? And daily diary? Somehow I ended up with it.

Learning journeys and daily diaries are the property of the parents. :D

buzzy bee
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
So long as you are registered with the ICO to take photos and store them on digital media then you are legally ok with having them.

Thanks - that helps... although what is ICO?! :panic:

sarah707
09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks - that helps... although what is ICO?! :panic:

Here you go!

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

All childminders must by law (according to Ofsted and the local bods) be registered if you keep information about minded children on any digital media such as computers or cameras.

even if you take a photo, print it immediately and delete it you still have to register.

Registration costs £35 and is valid for 1 year when you then have to renew.

It serves no useful purpose that anyone can find except that by registering we are upholding the law.

I hope this helps :D

buzzy bee
09-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Here you go!

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

All childminders must by law (according to Ofsted and the local bods) be registered if you keep information about minded children on any digital media such as computers or cameras.

even if you take a photo, print it immediately and delete it you still have to register.

Registration costs £35 and is valid for 1 year when you then have to renew.

It serves no useful purpose that anyone can find except that by registering we are upholding the law.

I hope this helps :D

Oh I thought you only had to do that if you were holding information about them - didn't reaslise this applied to photos aswell!

Thanks for the help x

Dodo
23-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi, I'm a bit confused about all this - I don't do any of my paperwork for the mindees on the computer but do take digital photos and store them on the computer. They are just in a folder named "childminding" and there is no reference to their names, addresses etc.

I had no idea that we had to register with the ICO. I just looked at their website and it says "Personal data means data which relates to a living individual who can be identified from those data or from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller.".
Now because the children can't be identified from my data, does that not leave me exempt?

The other thing I'm not sure of is if I am allowed to email the files to be printed. I quite often get them done at Costco or Tesco, where you can email the files and pick up the next day.

Please help me find out if I'm breaking the law??!!!

sarah707
24-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi, I'm a bit confused about all this - I don't do any of my paperwork for the mindees on the computer but do take digital photos and store them on the computer. They are just in a folder named "childminding" and there is no reference to their names, addresses etc.

I had no idea that we had to register with the ICO. I just looked at their website and it says "Personal data means data which relates to a living individual who can be identified from those data or from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller.".
Now because the children can't be identified from my data, does that not leave me exempt?

The other thing I'm not sure of is if I am allowed to email the files to be printed. I quite often get them done at Costco or Tesco, where you can email the files and pick up the next day.

Please help me find out if I'm breaking the law??!!!

If you take digital photos or use digital media to hold or store anything to do with minded children then we have been told that we must register with the ICO.

Why not give them a ring and ask for more information? :D

https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx