PDA

View Full Version : Should we go in the garden?

buzzy bee
08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
When Ofsted are here, should I take my mindees out in the garden, or does it matter if we don't go out. (it can be a bit of a military operation with little ones in the cold weather, and then coming in and washing all their hands etc - I feel like I'd be giving myself more to mess up on!!) She'll see from their diaries etc that we do go out!

Milli147
08-01-2011, 09:11 AM
We didn't, it was pouring with rain. I told her that when the weather is too awful to go out I set up the tents and tunnels inside to encourage them to be active, but if weather is ok we always go out (garden, park, ducks etc) She loved that I make an effort to keep them active even if inside and gave me outstanding for the being healthy part.:clapping:

miss mopple
08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
We didn't either. If I'm honest my garden is hardly used at all over the winter months and I told the inspector that. I have mostly little ones, and they dont want to go out in it so I won't make them. Besides, the grass is an absolute quagmire at the minute and we dont want it getting any more wrecked.

We go out and about all the time, use local parks if it's fine, and I have a dog so we walk her alot.

The inspector commented in my report that the garden isn't used daily in winter, but I still got an outstanding grade :thumbsup:

skytvaddict
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I did - it was raining - it was extremely hard work. Inspector stood out with us for a few minutes too!

I had introuced the three of them to rain coats and wellies a couple of days before! They were in and out, in and out all afternoon! A nightmare!

caz3007
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
We didn't either. If I'm honest my garden is hardly used at all over the winter months and I told the inspector that. I have mostly little ones, and they dont want to go out in it so I won't make them. Besides, the grass is an absolute quagmire at the minute and we dont want it getting any more wrecked.

:

Mine is the same and we try and give it a break over the winter to recover. Mine is so slippery, I see it as a hazard at the moment, I certainly dont want to fall over. We do visit local parks, some of which have that spongy stuff and also we have a duck pond and feed the donkeys and 2 school runs a day, so the children in my care get plenty of fresh air and excercise. Although I do love it when the garden dries out a bit and we can get out there.

PixiePetal
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I didn't go out - 3yr old mindee was happy playing duplo with me :)

Inspector went out - she had brought her wellies (we live in a farmhouse and she used her initiative :thumbsup: )

She could see we do use the garden - living here it would be a crime not to :)

tashaleee
08-01-2011, 11:48 AM
We dont go out much - I offered a couple of times this week to which my 2 and 3 year old replied -no its too cold!!!! Not that Im complaining as it can be a military exercise to get everyone ready and out anyway :thumbsup:

manjay
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
My little ones would complain dreadfully if we stayed inside for 3 whole hours:rolleyes: but this is how I run my setting. We spend a huge amount of time in the garden each day so the children would think it weird if suddenly we didn't one day. To me them learning to get them selves togged up is all part of the process and all goes to show how you are helping them to learn to be independant.

So I would say do what you normally do and don't do something differnt just because the inspector is there.

Mouse
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd say do what you usually do. Inspectors are good at spotting if you're doing something that you don't normally do!

We did go out into the garden during my inspection because we always do. The children asked to go out, so I said "well, you know what you need to do", so off they went and got wellies, coats & hats on. It was wet & muddy, but they had fun. I put my wellies on as well, while the inspector stood at the door watching! When we came back in, they took everything off & went to wash their hands. It's all part of what we do everyday & I prefered spending an hour of my 4 hour inspection doing that than staying inside the whole time & trying to amuse the children!

miffy
08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
My mindees asked to go out in the garden during my inspection so out we went, including the inspector who was trying to give me feedback at the time!

Do what you would usually do.

Miffy xx