PDA

View Full Version : Where do you change nappies?

buzzy bee
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I tend to change nappies in the lounge, so that I can keep an eye on the other children.

I have Ofsted coming next week, so will this be okay with them, or will they say it's unhygeinic / not respecting their privacy?

I keep hand gel in my changing station, so as soon as I've changed their nappy I use that, then take the nappy to the bin then wash my hands in the sink.

I have a MASSIVE battle every time I change one of the boys I look after - he screams and throws himself about and crawls away etc... His mum has a nightmare with him too so I'm a bit worried about them witnessing that too!! But if I do it upstairs or in the hall, I'll have to leave my other mindee alone in the room with her, and I'm not sure she'd approve of that...

fionamal
08-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Im quite lucky that I now have a downstairs WC which if i leave the door open a bit whilst nappy changing I can see straight into the playroom so can keep my eye on whats going on in there.

Before we moved I used to do it in the lounge and my CC officer wasnt too happy with that as she wanted the childs hands to be washed with soap and water as well as mine so i resorted to taking the other kids with me to our then upstairs toilet and did a one stop bum change to save the constant running up and down stairs with them all.

Milli147
08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I do it in the hall outside the lounge so I can see in. I would not do it in the room they play in.
If you are worried about leaving inspector in the room with another child I would just say that you will change the nappy right by the doorway today so you can still see her and child - she will know you have considered the safeguarding aspect then.
Don't worry about the child kicking off, she will just see how you deal with it, you can't stop that happening.
I was worried about privacy as normally all the other mindees come over too, wether I like it or not, so I just put a big storage box in the way - again at least it shows you have thought about it.

buzzy bee
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I usually do it when they wake up from naps, so what I could do is, when mindee (who sleeps upstairs) wakes up, I could take other mindee (who is usually awake by then) upstairs with me, and do them both upstairs... does that sound better?

I do wash their hands if they've put them anywhere near the nappy area, but not otherwise!!

miss mopple
08-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I do it wherever I can find a private spot among the chaos :laughing: If the kids are playing in the lounge I do it in the playroom, if they are in both I'll find the best private place I can (behind a pop up tent usually :laughing: )

My bathroom and toilet are upstairs so thats not an option for me and there s no room in the hall as the dog crate is in there

Milli147
08-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I wipe their hands with a baby wipe afterwards, and she commented in my report about it. Don't forget to wear gloves yourself and wipe the mat with an antibac wipe!

miffy
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I do it wherever I can find a private spot among the chaos :laughing: If the kids are playing in the lounge I do it in the playroom, if they are in both I'll find the best private place I can (behind a pop up tent usually :laughing: )

Sounds familiar! :D

Miffy xx

MissTinkerbell
08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I do mine in the lounge and even did so when my inspector was here. She never mentioned anything about privacy, etc and it never occurred to me to do it anywhere else - I'd always changed my own children as there really isn't any space in my downstairs toilet to do it in there.

The Juggler
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
I do mine on a mat on the laminate floor in my hall. In my FCCERS assessment I was told this was not ideal as I should be near running water and in a place that protected the child's privacy. So, I then had to write and action plan/policy to really explain why I did not i.e. weighing up the pros and cons of privacy for the child against leavign the other children to go and change a child at the back of my house. Safety over hygeniene and discretion primarily.

So I'm not going to score any more highly in that category next time but I'd rather use hand gel and run and was them afterwards than leave the children unsupervised or put the little ones in a playpen whilst I change a child.:panic:

Chimps Childminding
08-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I do mine on a mat on the floor in the dining room (playroom). The inspector never passed any comment on it when I had my inspection. At the time I only had the one child here, but I still do it there even if I have others children about, usually with an audiance :D

rickysmiths
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Well this will cause discussion! It always does.

I won't get on the floor to change a nappy, I never did with my own and unless its an emergency and I have no choice I don't with mindees.

I have a pvc cloth across the end of my dining room table on top of which is the changing mat. It is opposite the door into the playroom so I can see in there all the time and the child being changed has a degree of privicy. I use gloves, I only wipe the mindees hands if they go anywhere near the changing and I use wet wipes. I have one of the nappy bins that wrap the nappies so everything goes straight into that. I wipe the mat with an anti bac wipe.

I then go and wash my hands in the downstair cloakroom which is over the hall from the playroom and I can still see the mindees. I was complimented on my nappy changing procedure at my last inspection and it was mentioned in my report.

jane5
08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I was told by the lady from my childminding team (she is ex ofsted inspector) that soap and water or baby wipes or hand gel were all as good as each other and because my bathroom is upstairs, the safest option for me is baby wipes or hand gel.

She said the same room as other lo's was fine because its better not to leave others alone but remember to wipe your changing mat and always wipe the lo's hands cos they could of touched their bits.

Each inspector will have different ideas but that was what she always looked for.:thumbsup:

teacake2
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I always do mine on the lounge floor as there is no where else to do it in a safe way, I am not taking 3 upstairs with me everytime I need to change a nappy. It very often ends up that I have to do all of them at the same time anyway. I use a changing mat that is cleaned between each change, and I use wipes for my hands and the childrens. It has become routine that if I change a nappy then all of my little ones want to wipe their hands even if their nappy hasn't been changed, I think this is good for them as it helps them learn about cleanliness.
Teacake2

Gizmo
09-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I have space in my bathroom for a changing area, which makes it easier when starting potty training cos they are in the habit of going in there :D

babs
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
i change in 2 places depends on whats going on, if playing in play room i take them into living room do them on the floor when i have 2 babies here i change them in corner of living room if we are playing outside and one needs changing i nip in and change on dining room table which is in front of patio doors so i can see outside ( covered and on a changing mat then cleared away afterwards. when i had my inspection she asked to watch me change baby when i said i was going to do it and only comment she made was about wiping hands which i normally do but this time mind was all over the place ( inspection 4 days into minding) i forgot she just said dont worry about it just remember next time ... double wrap nappies and place in nappy bin ...i also wipe my hands and then once baby is dressed and off to play go and wash them... never use gloves...

sarah707
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I can't routinely get down onto the floor to do nappies any more - my knees protest too much.

I change them on a big mat on my sofa which I clean with antibac spray and paper towel afterwards.

I clean my hands with wipes and cleanser and wash little one's hands.

I then wash my own after disposing of the nappy outside.

I have started wearing gloves for poos but I hate them and they seem to make more mess than if I didn't but I am persevering.

Hth :D

venus89
09-01-2011, 07:47 PM
But why do we need to wash or wipe their hands? Unless, of course, they have wandering hands.....

sarah707
09-01-2011, 08:22 PM
But why do we need to wash or wipe their hands? Unless, of course, they have wandering hands.....

To get them into good habits early on in life apparently :D