PDA

View Full Version : menu ideas!

Milli147
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I provide hot main meal at lunchtime for most mindees and my plan was that most days it would either be
a) Portion of what I had cooked as a family meal the night before, or
b) Something I make at lunchtime that my family will eat that evening

I enjoy cooking but do not want to cook different things 2/3 times a day! Have done lasagne, shepherds pie, mac cheese, spag bol, casseroles and tuna pasta bake to death....please, does anyone have any yummy re-heatable and simple dishes to share???

p.s they will have to please age range 1yr - 42yr :laughing:

Vickster
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Fish Pie, Fajita's, Meatballs, Hungarian Goulash, Curry (mild), Chilli con carne(mild) - then add extra chilli after you have fed the little ones. Roasted veg with Feta.

pinkbutterfly
07-01-2011, 09:55 PM
How about pizza? I buy a packet of small pitta bread brown or white (for 40p for 6 pieces) and kids do the rest ;) I just prepare the toppings with lots of vegetables and they all design their own ... with a bit of help even a 15 month old one did his own. 10 minutes in the oven. Kids love it and it's quick and cheap.

pinkbutterfly
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Just thought another good one that can be reheated is ratatouille or whatever it's spelt. My children like it with garlic bread.

nessynoodle
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Veg Bake - literally any veg you have in the fridge (I usually use carrots, brussels, leeks, peas, swede, butternut, brocoli....anything you like!) Boil until they're almost cooked, and par boil potatoes at the same time.

Make a white sauce (cheese sauce) and grill a few rashers of bacon. put all veg and sauce nd bacon (cut up) into casserole dish and layer sliced pots on top. Grate cheese on top and bake until golden on top (or potatos are cooked).

Can add chicken pieces too if you like. Really easy to make, and healthy, and can freeze and make big batch etc. Perfect.

x

Chatterbox Childcare
10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I did a 5 week menu in 2009 and am still using it with a few tweaks for my vegetarian children

Playmate
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I did a 5 week menu in 2009 and am still using it with a few tweaks for my vegetarian children

Am I going wrong some where Debbie I can only find your shopping list on the attatchement :D

linda2girls
10-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Look at the tabs at the bottom for the different sheets.

The menu looks great.

Linda.

maisiemog
12-01-2011, 10:55 AM
We have pretty much the same things all the time. I do maon meals in the evening and the kids eat the same as us, just me and DH have it later on after they go home and DD in bed.

Every monday we have a roast dinner, tuesday is chips and something (do make my own oven chips to make it healthier!). Also let them make pizza once a month, have casserole, meatballs, pasta, cottage pie etc. Curry is popular here, so is lasagne and hotpot.

Also feel we do a lot of the same things all the time but the kids like it and the plates get cleared so thats all that matters really.

There are some good ideas in the recipe section here and also I got some recipes off the netmums site.

caz3007
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I have got a couple of books by a lady called Gill Holcombe, you can get them on Amazon and she had great ideas for meals that dont cost the earth. Love her beef in ale, but not one for the kids I suppose and dont give it to mine except my own DS

Helen79
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I make a big pot of veg soup and then add rice or pasta so it's a bit more filling for lunch time.
Or jacket potatoes (microwaved at lunch time for mindees, oven baked for in the evening) cut into wedges with cheese, tuna, chilli or beans.

mrsoliver
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM
If you cook in a slow cooker you can take out for mindees at lunchtime and then family in evening.

I always have main hot meal in evening altogether to stop this!

RachelE
12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I cook a big batch of veg soup up and freeze it. I then get out enough portions for how many mindee I have. My 17 month old mindee loves it. (I get the veg soup packet of ready chopped veg from tesco!)

I also do scrambled egg and baked beans - mindees love this.

I too freeze any bits of our meals - even if its only carrots - they all add up together!! I then scramble around the freezer and add few bits together to make a meal.

Rachel x

funemnx
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I tried one of Jamie Olivers meals in 30 minutes yesterday and it was yummy!

It's called Pork Ragu - put 3 carrots, 3 sticks celery, bunch spring onions in food processor and chop finely. Olive oil in large pan, add veg, then 1 lb really good sausages, skin on (also blitzed in processor), cook for 15 minutes. Add 4 tbsp Balsamic vinager and cook another 5 minutes. Add Tin tomatoes and tin water plus 3 cloves minced garlic. Cook until reduced a bit and serve with pasta, rice or potatoes. Serves 6 adults:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Am I going wrong some where Debbie I can only find your shopping list on the attatchement :D

did you find it - maximise the page and you will see the menu on sheet 1 and shopping lists on on sheets 1-6